Funny hypo moments (in retrospect)

Isobel94

Hi all,

Perhaps it is my morbid sense of humour but hypos can lead to the oddest of situations ;)

One time I had a low of 2.7 mmol/l, the only time I've ever passed out in twelve years of diabetes. When I passed out, I was on a swivel chair, and managed to knock down a guitar off its stand in the process. There was a rather dramatic *twaaaang* :lol:

I ended up kneeling over the loo, thinking I was going to throw up, when my dad appeared in his underpants to give me a gigantic mug of sugared water-- I believe they call it a soup mug.

Well it was the only time I've ever passed out due to a low but it was certainly a sight to behold! Anybody else have any hilarious low blood glucose moments, in retrospect, of course?

Cheers,

Izzy.

Barong

Dislikes
hypos, rude, inconsiderate people, bad language.
I was visiting my parents and staying in my old room where I had not been for some time. One night I had a hypo, my parents told me that they had heard me talk aloud, so they came to see if I was ok. Apparantly I was in the process of lifting a window box with flowers onto my bed, talking to the flowers: `'Oh, aren't you beautiful, I have never seen you here before, let me take you inside, you must be cold' I am not sure if I intended to take the flowers in the window box to bed with me...my parents intervened, thankfully.

Reactions: 7 people

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
Only in the diabetic world, Isobel94 and Barong. :D

As long as we can laugh at ourselves we're gonna be ok.

Enjoyed the two stories . :clap:

willie.

louiseg2202

I've got several... best one being a few months ago, at 2am I was caught by other half ballet dancing up and down the hall, pirouetting (badly!) to my heart's content. Rather strange, as I've never taken a lesson in my life! I was tested and only LO showed up on the meter... I don't remember a thing about it, and it took me several days to get to the bottom of why I was suddenly being called 'Darcey' ;-)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LChallis01

I am fairly recent in diagnosis (a mere 5 years) and my first experience of a real hypo I got so hot and irrational that I took my clothes off - thank god I was at home! My husband was trying to convince me to keep my clothes on. As the hypo came under control I lay on the sofa shivering and in shock a bit while my husband relayed the whole scenario to me word for word. Never been that low since!.......

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hahah these are funny!

I had one where I was at school and I remember someone saying jokingly "oh Jess you're gonna die cause you're diabetic" so I guess I was acting weird by then.. But I went to my lesson and had my head on the desk doing the worst handwriting ever for my final project :S and I kept saying to my friend, I feel like a dream, I feel like I'm asleep..

Then she took me to the nurse haha it was just embarrassing because it was my first hypo at secondary school :l

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Don't ask me to make a pot of tea...

Take one kettle and fill with water, then put onto boil;
Then take one mug and place on the worktop;
Take one teapot and place next to the mug, remove the lid;
Open the fridge, remove milk from fridge and pour some into the teapot;
Replace milk into the fridge, then turn off kettle - irrespective of whether it has boiled or not;
Pour water from kettle into teapot, replace kettle;
Put lid on teapot and then pour contents into mug.
:thumbup:

Marfmama

Izzy you passed out at 2.7? This worries me - I suppose it is different for everyone? I have been 2.5 before and walked to the shop with my son to get myself something sugary!

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went really low and instead of going to the kitchen,
You know where all the food is, I walked past it,
wobbled upstairs and preceded to eat some chocolate.
I keep some upstairs incase of night hypos. Except,
this was diabetic chocolate. Took me twenty minutes
to figure out why my levels weren't going up!
And then, to add to it, I went back down got a snack
and wobbled back upstairs to eat it.
Honestly, no idea what I was doing. About half an hour
later I was in hysterics laughing at myself :)

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Like these. I have loads I could add and have to say I have amazed people with how low I can go and still make reasonable sense, but sometimes have been totally gaga at 3mmol.
I think my best one was a night hypo some years ago where I fell out of bed and decided it was more comfortable on the floor. My lovely long haired cat deciding something was wrong, curled up with me to offer comfort, at which point I promptly threw up all over her!!
After treating hypo I spent rest of night showering a very upset cat!
The embarrassing ones are always in public, most people just think you're drunk and try to steer clear

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the best one I had was when I was really young (6/7ish) and bloods were low. Parents were watching corrie I believe but the only thing I could see was the spaceman coming through the wall next to the telly.

Mum then realised something was seriously wrong!!! I proceeded to throw up everywhere as well. They still remember it nearly 20 years later :-/

v987gbl

One time when I was having a hypo at work, I curled up under my desk begging to be allowed to kill a particularly obnoxious member of the project. He never did look at me the same after that :lol:

Reactions: 4 people

Daff

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Brussel sprouts and aubergines...
v987gbl said:
One time when I was having a hypo at work, I curled up under my desk begging to be allowed to kill a particularly obnoxious member of the project. He never did look at me the same after that :lol:
Fantastic! Could you come and work with me for a week? I may have one or two 'tasks' for you! :lol:

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had been out the night before and woke up really low, went downstairs to check BG and my boyfriend asked me if I was ok and I got really stressy with him because he didn't understand what I was talking about as I had asked him what the picture of the chicken meant on the drawers in the freezer... Tbh his guess is as good as mine lol :)

Reactions: 2 people

philchap

Dislikes
INJECTIONS, LOL
In Asda with my wife all ready to do the weekly shop, I was pushing the trolley up and down the aisle's when off I go running down the aisle jumping on the trolley and riding it while making motorbike noises, my wife takes me quickly out of the store telling the laughing onlookers that my sugar was low, i remember doing it and enjoying it,even at 53 years old

Reactions: 6 people

Twinks

I haven't had any funny moments myself but i remember being about 11 and hearing a loud child like giggle coming from my parents room wen i entered i found my dad giggling to him self as my mum is trying to get him too eat a mars bar he was flinging socks across the room using the cat as a target i just remember my mum looking at me saying your dads not going to work today

Reactions: 4 people

blothom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness, ignorance, racism, intolerance and butter beans
Not a funny story, but I woke from a nap feeling hypo, and was 1.9, (scary) but drank some very nice strawberry smoothie, and had an ice cream, (it was an incredibly hot afternoon) which soon put me back to normal. Sometimes a hypo is a really good excuse for a treat! :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Anyone else "cry" when having a Hypo ?

I do - everytime !
All I can seem to remember and try to say is my husbands name 'mike'
Dunno how or why I do this - but I do .

I act and look quite drunk, lolling my head about crying and always get distressed with my hypo's .

Wish I could giggle my way through one like other persons can :problem:

Anna .