Frosty66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snow
Hi
Im Janet. I had glucose intolerance test done 3 weeks ago. 12.7. See my diabetes nurse this friday. Ive joined this group as i realise im going to need help with diet as well as support.

Frosty66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snow
I have to admit this diagnosis of type2 diabetes has knocked me for 6. I terrified i will eat the wrong things. I feel sort if cut adrift with no paddle. Its the food thing thats worrying most.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

audsital

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat carbs!
Hi Frosty66, and welcome to the forum. You will find lots of great advice on the site, any questions you have just ask away.:grin:

Frosty66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snow
Goodness i have a bloated tum i cant get use to this change of diet so full of gas and tummy pain. What i doing wrong?

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Frosty66 said:
I have to admit this diagnosis of type2 diabetes has knocked me for 6. I terrified i will eat the wrong things. I feel sort if cut adrift with no paddle. Its the food thing thats worrying most.

Hello Janet .

Welcome to us all here . :wave:

Daisy will be along shortly with a post full of great things/tips/suggestions to read and get started off with .
It includes food tips and basic new diagnosis support too :thumbup:

Hope you don't mind but I have relocated your posts here .
Set you up with your own thread too .
Somehow you were attached to a global announcement :lol:

I have retitled this thread just for you also .
Then other members can reply to you easily .

This is a great place to find your feet in these early days .
Ask all the questions you feel/need to .
We are here to help and support you . :)

Anna .

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Janet and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information which we give to new members which Anna mentioned and I hope you will find it useful. Ask any questions you like and someone will come along and help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Hi Frosty66 -and everyone else,

I can understand how you are feeling -I was diagnosed last Monday, after being told ten weeks ago that I had DT2 which needed to be confirmed by yet another Hba1c.

I feel as though I've been told and then cut adrift!

I was asked whether I wanted to try diet or Metformin; I chose diet but today I've been and got the tablets because of blurred vision, dizziness and extreme tiredness and weakness...which I can't put up with any longer.

Thank God that I found this forum 10 weeks ago because I've learned a lot since then, whilst looking -this is my first post.

I'm shocked at the lack of help and advice from my GP surgery...but so glad I found you all.

It's true what they say, there's safety in numbers :)

Hope you feel better soon; keep looking and learning on here is my best advice!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sorry to hear about the upset stomach with the new diet. Can you let us know some typical meals and/or the foods you are having or not having. Did the nurse give you any dietary guidance? Really, the only 'wrong' things are too much in quantity of high-GI carbs such as added-sugar foods & drinks, white bread, fruit juices, mashed potatoes and similar.

xxladybugxx

Hello I am also new here. I have high. Its weird I feel in control with my emotions towards that I may have it. (I get confirmed tomorrow). I have cut out most bad foods but I am worried I will come crashing down to earth when it sinks in.

Frosty66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snow
My tum is much better today. This morning i had cup of tea with splash of skimmed milk. 2 poached eggs on granary with thin spread of olivo. Sea salt and ground pepper to taste. Lunch cubes of cheese apple and home made yoghurt. Tea. Ham salad. Peach and yoghurt cup of tea. Water throughout the day.
How does this sound?

Frosty66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snow
My tum is much better today. This morning i had cup of tea with splash of skimmed milk. 2 poached eggs on granary with thin spread of olivo. Sea salt and ground pepper to taste. Lunch cubes of cheese apple and home made yoghurt. Tea. Ham salad. Peach and yoghurt cup of tea. Water throughout the day.
How does this sound?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sounds excellent to me, so carry on the good work and hopefully the sugars will come down.

debs6566

Hi Frosty welcome your in the right place. Try not to be too worried it all takes time and at least you know about your condition now so you can do something about it. Ive only been diagnosed for a little over a month - keep reading on here and ask questions there is always someone who knows what to advise Take care
Debs

Frosty66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snow
Need your help today:
Trying to keep on track but appetite dulled as grieving my cat who has been killed by greyhound. I know i must eat but cant.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So sorry to hear about the cat; I'm a cat lover and you become very attached to them. BTW Metformin can also dull the appetite a bit.

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Frosty: Watch out for the yoghurt. I switched to 0% fat ones until another forum user suggested I look at the sugar content. It was very high so now cut it out of my diet.

vez13

I'm new here too...

Diagnosed with DT2 when i had glucose tolerence test when pregant with my daughter..

after having my LG my diabetes dissapered for aprox 6 months, after having another glucose tolerence test 6months after my lg due to other extreme problems with my aftercare after my little girl. (caught MRSA in hospital and then had septicemia) found out i had diabetes again...

Blood sugars are usualy between 5 and 8 ish but have been getting readings of over that the higest being 12.4 on the weekend.

think this was the scare factor and kick up the backside i needed to get me into some diet action.

If anybody can offer any help or advice or just fancies a chat :)