Early Xmas present?

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I like getting my hopes up, me. Here's the introduction to a NEJM article just published.

The restoration of functional beta-cell mass by cell therapy is possibly the most realistic current option for curing type 1 diabetes mellitus. The transplantation of human islet cells has been the subject of clinical trials,1 but the procedure is precluded a priori from routine application because of the shortage of donor pancreata, from which cells destined for transplantation are obtained. Consequently, there is an urgent need for alternative sources of beta cells.

A recent study by Zhou and colleagues2 is encouraging. These investigators reported the successful "reprogramming" of acinar cells from the exocrine pancreas of adult mice into insulin-producing beta cells.

Looks as if there are significant advances being made now. We live in hope, eh?

All the best,

fergus

seabill

Hi Fergus

Thanks for this update.

I just posted on the main forum, just in case
it has been missed.

$40 million has been pledged to the University of Minnesota
by the Richard M. Schulze Family Foundation.

Goal, to find a cure for type 1 in 5 years.

Seabill

caitycakes1

I try not to get my hopes up for a cure but it's difficult not to be excited by each step closer to it. It would be marvelous if they managed a cure within five years. My god, to think we could be free of this weight around our necks is fantastic. I often remember how carefree and uncomplicated my life was before dx (and that was only 5 months ago). If I get cured of this I will NEVER take anything for granted again. Still wouldn't go back to high carb though!! :wink:

Caitycakes x

lilibet

Im with you caity

If they find a cure I promise I will be good!!

Although just 'getting on with it', everytime I read something like that it makes me realise just how much I really really really really would like not to have diabetes. After that, the sadness kicks in...............

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If they do get this sorted. The first thing I'm going to do is go and have a pizza and a few beers :p