Woodcock

Trinkwasser

Any ideas for cooking these? I found some in the butcher's today.

I expect I will roast them wrapped in bacon for maybe half an hour as they are like tiny partridges.

The butcher suggested casseroling them.

Jenny

Spatchcock them, cover with butter (garlic optional) and a bit of streaky bacon. Grill for no more than 20 minutes.

Alternatively, buy a Pheasant and a Partridge and a Woodcock. Bone them out and stuff the Pheasant with the Partridge which is stuffed with the Woodcock. Gamebird Pie. Use the bones to make a stock, reduce, add a half bottle of reasonable red; reduce to one third, stir in some redcurrant jelly and/or dark chocolate till its only a glossy covering in the pan and eat.

In the Greenhouse today there are 10 Peasants, 4 woodcock, 8 partridges, 6 snipe and a pair of pigeons that got in the way.

Food for nearly free.

Where did I leave the shotgun.

Trinkwasser

Excellent stuff, thanks!

I think I shall probably try grilling them, hadn't thought of that. I have some horse mushrooms and purple sprouting.

I saw another recipe which started with a woodcock stuffed into a pheasant stuffed into a duck stuffed into a turkey, but that would be silly <G>

Jenny

In my youth I shot every day except Sunday. Normally in the summer I was out at first light for a couple of hours and the hour before sunset. Mostly rabbits. I always shot ruff and had a gun trained Scottie. Winter, it was weather permitting on local farms.

However to cook. If I am boning birds out then they are simply barded and roasted.

I rarely roast whole birds. The favoured recipe is to remove the breasts and legs, dust with black pepper and brown in a pan with a little olive oil and butter. Set the bits aside and use the same pan to soften and lightly colour a few shallots or onions. Remove and place in a casserole/oven proof dish. Core and peel 1 large eating apple and 1 large cooking apple and coarsely chop. Soften in the pan used to do the bits/shallots/onions. Set the bits of bird amongst the apple/onion mix, cover and cook in the oven for around 25 minutes. Remove the bits and set aside in a warm place. Remove half the onion/apple mix and blend with double cream. Return the mixture to the casserole/oven proof dish. Mix. Put the bits on warm plates. Spoon over the mixture.

Pheasant legs tend to have very hard tendons and are probably best used for soup. You can pan fry the breasts with olive oil and butter and flame with the alcohol of choice. Calvados, Brandy and Whisky go down well. Drambuie is also very good. Before you flame you can add redcurrants, blueberries apricots or whatever takes your fancy.

Today, for an OAP friend I casseroled 4 breasts and 2 legs with shallots, leeks, carrots, turnip, garlic and waxy potatoes. He only has a slow cooker in his sheltered housing complex so he has sufficient in the casserole for 2 fairly fulsome meals.

If you are buying Pheasants avoid the supermarket kind which are most likely farmed.

Trinkwasser

Jenny said:
Pheasant legs tend to have very hard tendons and are probably best used for soup.

Or toothpicks, they can also be remarkably sharp!

If you are buying Pheasants avoid the supermarket kind which are most likely farmed.

Farmed?? Well I knew they were bred and released into the wild but hadn't come across them being "farmed", although gamekeepers usually look after them and may put out feeders as well as the farmers growing feed in the headlands. We have masses around here, also partridges and redlegs, and more hares than rabbits though I never ate one of them.

I generally roast pheasants after rubbing them with olive oil and attaching slices of streaky bacon, eat the breasts then casserole the remainder. They take a bit less cooking than chickens due to their size.

Trinkwasser

The woodcock were excellent, I spatchcocked and grilled them with bacon. They tasted a bit like a cross between pheasant and liver and were very filling once you got through the skin into the meat.

Now I have my eye on the lapwing flock in the back field <G> we usually get a hundred or two roving around the area, last year they were sparse on the fields but obviously well spread out judging by the size of the roost on the estuary.

We currently have about 300 - 500 lapwing and over a hundred golden plover and numbers still seem to be increasing

(salmon stir fry with many different vegetables tonight)

Jenny

Don't think that many of the Pheasants found in supermarkets have been released into the wild and shot.

I was not aware that Lapwings were classified as either game birds or vermin and if they are not then they are protected. In my youth we used to collect Lapwing eggs to make omelettes something that is no longer allowed. On the other hand, if you can get someone to murder about 12 crows you will find that the breasts make an excellent pie.

Trinkwasser

Jenny said:
Don't think that many of the Pheasants found in supermarkets have been released into the wild and shot.

Seriously? Just as well I buy mine from the butcher or the farm shop then!

I was not aware that Lapwings were classified as either game birds or vermin and if they are not then they are protected. In my youth we used to collect Lapwing eggs to make omelettes something that is no longer allowed. On the other hand, if you can get someone to murder about 12 crows you will find that the breasts make an excellent pie.

Yes I was kidding about the lapwings, I can also recall collecting their eggs up on the Pennines way back when they were generally commoner.

Never eaten crow though there are those that think I ought to. There's a big rookery down the road and currently an enormous roost up the road (jackdaws too), spectacular when they all wheel around the treetops just before sunset.