Wheat, gluten and low carb

Lilliepop

Hello. Is there any other people on here that are wheat and gluten intolerant and also on a low carb diet. Looking for ideas on what to eat. Also is there anyone else that is intolerant to xantham gum or any gum?

It's so hard to find things to eat that is low carb and wheat and gluten free, I seem to eat the same old things all the time.

Carbdodger

Hello there
Whilst I'm not wheat or gluten intolerant I choose not to eat them. I eat low carb c 30g a day. I have a really varied diet and never lack variety. Eggs are versatile for breakfast - scramble, poach, boil, omelette etc - add bacon or other meats and veggies like mushrooms for variety. You can make bread substitutes ( have a look in recipe section ) using almonds, flax etc.
Many meals can be made with all sorts of meats, green veg, cheese. Try making a lasagne with courgettes and leeks instead of pasta. Make extra and freeze portions for ready meals.
I love the low carb way of eating and after 3 years I suffer no ill effects and have BG numbers equal to a non DB person. I can't imagine going back to my per-DB way of eating.
Cd

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Hiya,

I have coeliac disease so cannot have wheat, gluten, barley, rye and contaminated oats so I tend to live in the gluten free aisles of Asda and Tesco. I do follow a low carb diet but I don't know how low you want to go - I seem to float around 50-80g of carbs per day.

Breakfast I eat gluten free porridge oats 30g
Mid morning snack is usually about 80g of strawberries as this is only 6g of carbs
Lunch is either a tuna salad, chicken salad or if I'm feeling a little naughty rice cakes with tuna on (each rice cake is approx 6g carb)
Afternoon snack - I don't always have but if I do it is either some more strawberries, nuts, galia melon (I find this the lower carb rather than honeydew)
Tea is usually a chicken salad or sometimes I will have a chicken breast with some cauliflower or mangetout. I'll mix it up sometimes with a tomato and throw a little cube of cheese on top.

Hope this helps? I don't tend to eat pizza's crisps and cakes unless I bake them myself on naughty days but the supermarkets are certainly getting better with the availability of foods. I'm in love with the rich tea biscuits and the digestives (this is again either a little treat snack or a once in a while cure for a hypo lol)

B

badcat

If you google divaliciousinthecity you'll find a recipe site with loads of low cab gluten free recipes - I can highly reccommend the lemon & almond cake

pinkhevs

Hi Lilliepop,

I also suffer from a wheat intolerance since December - have found this much harder to adjust to than T1 diagnosis!

Have been enjoying lots of salads over the summer but tend to find that (a) they're not filling enough and (b) it's so much more expensive than a sandwich! GF foods are also v expensive.

I usually try and supplement my salads with a hardboiled egg, a little quinoa, or like Faith* have some rice cakes with mashed banana or peanut butter. Although I've been having Nature's Store corn cakes as they come separated into packs of 3 which are handy for a packed lunch! They are 4.2g carbs per slice.

I haven't been doing low carb so far but I'm definitely interested to start. Can notice that I'm putting weight on due to the insulin which I'd rather avoid if possible!

Lilliepop

Thank you all I will take all your suggestions and try and make some new dishes. Would be nice if there could be a forum for wheat gluten as well as low carb we could all help each other. If I find anything new I will let you know :thumbup:

scarlettohara

My partner recently got diagnosed with Type 2. So now we're on low carbs. The doctors didn't really inform us of what not to eat. Also not really clear on gluten. Silly question now: if a tub of lard says 'gluten free' is this ok to cook with? I've been reading loads on the forum but now my head is spinning and I'm not really any wiser!

Lilliepop

Is you or your partner gluten and wheat intolerant? If not you don't have to worry about gluten just low carb. :thumbup:

Elc1112

Hi. I have coeliacs so I can't eat anything with gluten (oats, wheat, rye or barley) in it. I am also vegetarian and try, wherever possible, to stick to a relatively low carb diet. Can definitely be a bit of a challenge!

I tend to make a fair few soups. If you pick the right vegetables you can make these fairly low in carbs. Stir fries are also good. Salads too, although, lets be honest, they aren't overly exciting! Pastry free quiches. Egg white 'pizzas' (basically a flat egg white omelette with cheese and tomato on top).

If I am honest, I often end up going for carbs as otherwise I feel like dinner time gets a little repetitive. I tend to have x days low carb and x days with more carbs (not high carb but enough to keep me sane!)

Em

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App