Any healthy options for getting rid of a hypo?

valenshyne

Dislikes
spiders *shudder*
I know the usual option is to have lucozade, ribena etc, but since i'm really trying to eat healthier I was wonder if there was a healthy hypo stopping solution?

A

Anonymous

valenshyne said:
I know the usual option is to have lucozade, ribena etc, but since i'm really trying to eat healthier I was wonder if there was a healthy hypo stopping solution?

Hope you don't mind me saying, but your avatar made me laugh. It's a way of ending the current application or game without saving anything isn't it? I hope no one here tries it. :D

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
fresh pure orange juice might be a healthier option and I've corrected lows with milk before.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
valenshyne said:

Don't worry about healthy options when your hypo, you need to treat them fast and get out of the situation asap. Lucozade, Coke, Jelly Babies and Glucotabs all work fine!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unless you're having multiple hypos a day, the amount of "unhealthy" things like jelly babies or lucozade that you require are minimal really.

If you ARE having multiple hypos a day then you need to focus in fixing that first

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
depends on the extent of the hypo for me.

If I'm seeing 2.9 on the meter, I want something quick, jelly babies, haribos etc.

If it's just a bit low, 3.5 or so, I'd personally reach for a few dates or an apple as I know I respond reasonably quickly to those and the symptoms are not severe enough to cause me any concern at that level.

A

Anonymous

gezzathorpe said:
valenshyne said:

Hope you don't mind me saying, but your avatar made me laugh. It's a way of ending the current application or game without saving anything isn't it? I hope no one here tries it. :D

What an astonishing coincidence. Both you and Conradj both have the exact, same avatar...
XswXd1dPC6QsOgACVQNBC7De_qk5dWg02kAyQ_UvJpY=s96-p-no

Many people don't know that Alt+F4 closes the current window. So if you had pressed Alt+F4 while playing a game, the game window would have closed. I do hope that less experienced computer uses don't try this.

ono

I tend to dissolve two/three teaspons of sugar in water, can't be more unhealthy than a soft drink.
I have also successfully treated hypos with white bread, this is (in theory) faster than OJ. OJ is actually not a great option, it works, but not very fast (it's ok for 3.5 kind of number)

Lol77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You don't want to be messaging about with hypos. If you get one them best to get out of it ASAP! Sugary stuff just learn how much you need. Trial and error. :geek:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos
Personally I treat my hypos with either Orangina, Cola or cherry cola.
I have found that grapes are pretty good for hypos and are probably healthier!

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Either fruit juice or (my fave) about 150 mls of Innocent smoothie but has to be either the kiwi, apple and lime or the peach and apricot flavour as I am not a banana fan at all, particularly when hypo!

H

Hooked

xAoifex said:
Either fruit juice or (my fave) about 150 mls of Innocent smoothie but has to be either the kiwi, apple and lime or the peach and apricot flavour as I am not a banana fan at all, particularly when hypo!

Those smoothies are dangerous in my hands, I end up drinking way too much, they are lush! :twisted: