• Other

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • None

Votes: 15 14.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rabbit35

Administrator said:
This month we'd like you to share information about whether or not you follow any kind of diet.

If you are currently dieting...

What motivated you to start?
Has your current diet choice had any impact on your weight?
Has your current diet choice had any impact on your blood glucose levels?

If you choose not to follow a diet... feel free to share your reasons why!
to reduce side effects of diabetes;lost 21lbs in 10 months.AVG 6.5 PREVIOUSLY 8

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
Been doing the newcastle diet for a week and a half have lost 14pounds it's hard I'm hungry all the time and my bg is 8.8 but I had went through a stage where I ate what I wanted and when I did check my levels the meter just said hi so I suppose it is an improvement and will come down a bit lower I'm type2

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2, metformin only. Lowish carb generally under 80mg, but I don't eat white carbs, or anything which we have not cooked from scratch ourselves so mange to avoid pre packaged heavily processed food. I also do lots of exercise (walking, cycling and rowing up to 2 hours a day) and track both exercise and food intake using myfitnesspal - my net daily calorie intake is around 1300 cals. Been doing this for around five months now, average BG is around 5.8mmol, bmi 26.9 and falling. Only hiccups generally occur if I am away from home and need to eat out or cannot do the more vigorous exercise, in which case my bg tends to climb a bit, but generally stays below 7mmol

sarahanne

I've just signed up to tesco plan too, hoping to lose about 2 stone in the next year, diagnosed late April, on metformin and meds for kidneys leaking protein, still have some down days after spikes but getting head around it slowly :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Dislikes
probabaly - but can't think of any at the moment
I am Diabetes 2 diagnosed 2009. I have been following the "Fast Diet" or 5:2 diet as it is also known; since June and have lost just over 5kg. Before starting this way of eating my HbA1c was 8.1% and my blood sugar levels medium to high on a regular basis. I was taking Stagid 3xday (metformin); novonorm 23 x day (repaglinide) and Diamacron (glicalzide). During the first month I got down to just taking the Diamacron twice a day and my blood sugars were getting lower on average. I saw the GP after the first month but he did not think it was a good idea to stop the other drugs and put me on a month trial with just the Diamacron. I believe he thought my blood sugars would rocket. The month ended last week and I had a full blood test. My GP is now confused as the HbA1c was down to 7.3% and overall the blood sugars levels were averageing 8mmol/l. He has written me a new 3-month prescription for just the Diamacron. This diet suits me as I am never very hungry in the mornings so eating little does not bother me, but it would not suit everyone.

I am going to continue with what I think is more of an eating style change than a diet and my aim is to lose another 5kg over the next 3 months

Valerie Wright

K

Kat100

Vegetarian all my life that's a lot of years now...
Low fat.....
Low sugar when it is in yogurt or low sugar baking when stevia is half and half.......
I use xylitol as well
Always had veg fruit pulses......then started putting weight on with other symptoms :/ then found out cause...
Now loosing weight hardly any sugar......would love real cake etc never bothered m before :(
T2 and metformin.....

justmeint

I eat foods that do not spike my blood glucose levels - therefore those that do not spike my insulin.

I use my BG Metre to test at 1 and 2 hours to see what works and what does not work.

From this I have come to realise that grains, sugars, pastries, potatoes, pasta, rice etc., ALL spike my readings.

Therefor it would be safe to say I eat a fairly low carbohydrate diet. I use butter and coconut oil to cook with and use freely also on hot vegetables. I do NOT cut off the fat from my meat.

I am a T2 non medicated diet controlled patient. My D Educator is not 100% comfortable with my diet, but can see the results as my morning fasting BG levels are down into the mid 5's now and my A1c is only point 1 over the 'normal range'. I never seem to go over a 7.0 reading 2 hrs. post prandial and I am happy with that also.

An article I read recently explains why it is imperative to control sugar/insulin spikes as they damage the entire vasculature system. I can highly recommend it to all diabetics as a basic reading material.

http://profgrant.com/2013/08/16/joseph- ... a-matters/

Hope this information is useful for someone here..... happy to answer questions. :)

Clare in Tasmania

MRSG2013

can anybody help me my step daughter has type 1 and was told by her doctor she can eat everything as long as she injects for it.
Is this true?
She has taken it literally and basicly eats cakes and chocolate everyday.
I am very uneasy about this but I would like to further understand before I address this with the consultant.
Please help?? what are the long term effects of doin this??

JoanneGross

I am not following the diet, because i am not too fatty and have no health problems. But i am controlling the amount of food taken, i think this is not a dieting procedure, only a routine. So with my control in the amount of food i have the correct level of pressure, glucose level etc... So eat all types of food with a limited amount, then you will not affected by any types of diseases..