What to expect...?

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
Hi
I was wondering if anyone has been to see a consultant about pre-conception care? I have an appt in 2 weeks and just wondering what happens? Do they do the usual tests or is it just a straight consultation? I've not been any information apart from the date and time and my husband is coming with me so just wanted a heads up on the process really.
How likely is it that at the first appt they will say "yes you're good to go?". My last HbA1c was 6.5% 5 months ago and I know it has reduced since then so I have everything crossed that they will be ok for us to start trying. I'm already 33 and been diagnosed for 15 years so don't really want to wait any longer...
Any information you might have would be really appreciated.

jhinkson1

Hi
I went about a month ago and all it really is is them telling you about the risks in pregnancy. I was expecting quite a lot more but it only lasted 10 mins. They give you a booklet to go away with.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Abi W

Hi
They ought to also check your thyroid function and blood pressure - I don't know how common it is for type 1 diabetics to have an underactive thyroid, but getting me on the right thyroxine dose was right was part of pre-conception clinic for me. Getting my blood pressure under control was another factor - in my case it's not related to my diabetes, but it's important that someone keep tabs.
Best of luck!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
Well I went about 3-4 weeks ago. I was SO nervous! Anyway there was the usual blood and urine tests. Height, weight and blood pressure. Then I was called into a room with 4 team members in! That was a bit overwhelming! So there was the Consultant, an Obstetrician, Diabetes Nurse and a student plus my hubby and I. They confirmed why we were there, didn't say anything about results from the blood tests etc but wanted to see my readings. I knew I would be told off for having too many hypos - but this was a good thing.

Eventually the consultant said they were fine with us TTC but to sort out all the hypos (I had a lot - had been ODing on Levemir apparently) and they reduced my Levemir (which has done the trick perfectly - I can now have carb free meals without much change in BG which has amazed me) but then while dictating the letter to my GP the Consultant happened to mention that my HbA1c was currently 35 - 5%! :***: :sick: No wonder they all looked concerned!

To be honest I found it all very overwhelming but absolutely essential. I had been trying way too hard to get my HbA1c down (from 8.1% a year ago) and the talk of hypos and losing my driving licence was a wake up call.

The team, particularly the DN, were lovely and very supportive. They have booked me on to the DAFNE course too and I have another appt in 3 (now 2) months with the DN if I don't get pregnant in the meantime.

I still feel scared about it all. The Nurse kept telling me I'd done all the hard work (getting my HbA1c down) but to relax now - but if I relax I start to get readings over 10! Surely that's not good?! :?

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Hey LemonTree - I was exactly the same in October last year when I went with my husband to the pre-conception clinic the very first time. At that point my HbA1c was 7.2 and the doctor said we were fine to go and told me to avoid having too many hypos - I rather go low than high as well. I have changed my basal insulin a bit and it is now a lot better. HbA1c went further down as well (6.5 last time in July) and I was told they are happy if it happens :D . And I relaxed a bit as well and sometimes get a reading of 10...
It hasn't happened for us yet :( but hopefully will at some point soon. We are actually only trying since March, but I wanted to get my Diabetes sorted first. Good luck to you - let us know once you have your BFP :D