Newcastle diet - Would this protein drink be suitable?

snowy_barks

I am considering starting the Newcastle diet.
Since diagnosis in February I have dropped from from 17st to 14st, this has been achieved by a switch to a low carb diet.
I have noticed a marked improvement in my insulin resistance and have a fasting blood sugar of between 5 - 6 mmoL.
At the moment I am not on any medication and hopefully will be able to avoid it.
I am just under 6ft tall and would like to drop another stone, which I feel would be a very good weight for me and see if I can give my pancreas further breathing space.

I have had a look at the Slimfast type drinks in the supermarket and I am put off by the high level of carb in them.

I have come across this stuff on the internet http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/shop-by-goal/weight-loss-supplements/complete-protein-blend.html and was thinking of using this along with numerous vitamin supplements.
It is 3% carb and looks ideal, it also appears very good value for money.

Can anyone see a problem I am missing?

Thanks

Defren

I would be wary of using all protein shakes, the effect of your kidneys may not be good. I used Atkins shakes when I did the ND they are 3g of carbs each, but they only come in two flavours and are a bit powdery. I just got on and drank them, using the shakes as simply a food to keep me alive, not to enjoy.

After I finished the ND I found shakes from a company called slim and save. I did order a mixed lot and have them if I can't be bothered to eat or am running late. They are 13.4g of carbs per shake, I am carb sensitive, but these don't spike me at all. Here is the entire nutritional info (banana shake):

Kcal 131
Kjoules 553
Protein 11.3g
Carbohydrates 13.4g
of which sugars 12.2g
Fat 3g
Fibre 2.6g
Sodium 0.150g

Ingredients (banana shake)

Protein blend (skim milk, calcium caseinate); fructose; soybean oil; oligofructose (chicory root extract); flavours; acidity regulator: potassium chloride, sodium citrate; stabilizer: magnesium phosphate; vitamin and mineral mix (vitamin A as acetate, cholecalciferol, tocopherol acetate, ascorbic acid, thiamine hydrochloride, riboflavin, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, biotin, folic acid, cyanocobalamin, ferric pyrophosphate, zinc oxide, potassium iodide, sodium selenite, potassium citrate, manganese sulphate, copper gluconate); emulsifier: soy lecithin; thickeners: carrageenan, guar gum; vegetable oil; anti-caking agent: silicon dioxide; color: beta-carotene; sweetener: aspartame (contains phenylalanine).
Allergens:

Contains milk and soy. Manufactured on equipment that processes: gluten, celery, sulfites and eggs.
Vitamins & Micro Nutrients Per 34.5g:

Vitamin A μg 376
Vitamin D μg 2.55
Vitamin E mg 3.67
Vitamin C mg 27.9
Thiamin mg 0.35
Riboflavin mg 0.47
Niacin mg 5.47
Vitamin B6 mg 0.46
Folic Acid μg 60
Vitamin B12 μg 0.86
Biotin μg 15
Pantothenic Acid mg 2.24
Calcium mg 235
Phosphorus mg 261
Potassium mg 530
Iron mg 5.0
Zinc mg 2.83
Copper mg 0.33
Iodine μg 50
Selenium μg 16.4
Magnesium mg 94.8
Maganese mg 0.60

URL for the web site: http://www.slimandsave.co.uk/

Hope that helps.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You might like to compare it with the composition of the shake used in the original trial.

http://www.optifast.com.au/about-optifa ... ialog_1858
If you are going to eat very few calories you need to make sure that you haven't thrown out all the essential nutrients.
(At a quick glance Defren's recent find seems to have a similar profile; the protein shake you mentioned doesn't say what else it contains)

andrewk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Folks who "know it all" (but don't)
Defren said:
I would be wary of using all protein shakes, the effect of your kidneys may not be good. I used Atkins shakes when I did the ND they are 3g of carbs each, but they only come in two flavours and are a bit powdery. I just got on and drank them, using the shakes as simply a food to keep me alive, not to enjoy.

From time to time I have used Atkins shakes too - but I worry that they may not actually be a real meal replacement shake. The ingredients listed on the tubs do not include any of the added vitamins and minerals that you would expect to find.

Is there any concensus about which low carb meal replacement is the best option?

Andrew