feeling depressed, please help

Alex101

I was diagnosed woth diabetes since I was born. I started to feel down when i turned 16, (i am now 17). I struggled with my diabetes because of exams but just thought it was being nervous, but it has progressed hugley and now i feel the worst. I lose my appetite, i struggle to sleep, on a couple ocasions i have cried myself to sleep becuase of feeling so worn down and upset. A month after my 16th birthday. I was taken into hospital because i was assulted by 5 grown men, who in the end broke my nose,jaw,3 ribs and fractured my eye socket. My stress levels increased alone with my sugar levels, i became I'll for a long while. Each blood sugar i took was high this made me feel sader and sader every single time. I have mood swings and struggle to have fun with my friends, my girlfriend is wonderful she helps me constantly, but i feel like my diabetes is a burden on her it makes me sad to think that she cant do the things she might want to because she is helping me even through school i was taunted because i was "different" people would scare me whilst i was injecting which caused me to scratch my stomache, and even some of my own friends would steal my blood kit from my bag. I hate feeling Like this.

Alex

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Hey alex a few years ago I suffered from clinical depression its an insidious ailment and people do tend to understand the its not just feeling a bit down or unhappy over something. They cant truly comprehend as they have not been through it thet think you should be able to just shrug it off. What you need is professional help you need to see yourbdr and ask for a referral. It does get better but only with help.

Happy_Horse

You need to get out there and find something that will make you think more about yourself. It's not your fault that you are diabetic! I used to be rubbish at every sport I ever tried except for swimming, but that's something most people can do. Then I discovered my passion for horses and began horse riding at the age of six. I am now twelve and I still get bullied a little bit because I am not good at sport but I now have something that I can do and look forward to every weekend when I go to the stables. There is always something worth living for and you shouldn't be sad when you haven't found that yet...concentrate on looking for it! I was only diagnosed April 29th and I haven't had anything bad happen to me yet and sometime I know it will happen but I won't bother to think about it... They are all just stupid people who think there better that you but they are NOT!!!!! Just forget about it and find something to focus on for the future and leave the past behind you!!! Xxx :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Alex101

Thankyou both of you, ive always enjoyed sport so I think I should find somthing to focus and help myself, and yes I will talk to my dr. Thankyou again

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Ok, glad you fee a bit better. Pour it all out on here, everyone needs to let things out and sometimes the act of writing it down or saying it out loud can ease things. I've not been here very long and I've seen quite few rants and moans.

I challenge you to do one positive thing this weekend and report back to us!

Cara

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Quite agree but not only do somthing possitive but somthing you have not done before. Eg paint balling, go carting, bowling ect. Obviously I'm not saying you have not done any or even all of these but justmaking examples try to do somthing that will invigorate you. Good luck and dont forge we are here

faeoj

hi Alex! I'm turning 21 next week and have had diabetes since I was a kid so have been through teenage years with type1! I truly know how mentally and physically draining it is! it is constantly there and if you forget you can guarantee someone will soon remind you! what you have to remember is that kids are mean and if you weren't diabetic they would find something else to skit at you for! I promise you it gets easier as you get older! your friends sound the same as mine...think it's fun to do stuff like that but don't realise how serious and fast things can change or go wrong! I think my best piece of advise I could give you is to not take anything to heart! they are taking the **** over something you can't change and can't help having so make fun of it yourself! find some jokes or something about t1! as for the girlfriend if she really likes you then diabetes won't be a problem it will just be a case of her getting used to things! I'm the same with exams but have asked to sit in my own room you should ask for that it lowers your stress levels a lot which will lower bg levels in turn!! it sounds like your having a really rough time but it won't be for long hopefully you'll be going to college so new friends new habits etc! hope you feel better soon!
ps sorry for the novel but I really do know how you feel!

Alex101

Thankyou, thankyou so much all of you, you dont know what this feels like to me. You've given me so much hope and confidence. And I've already decided what im doing this weekend im going to get myself back in the gym and go out with my angel of a girlfriend :)

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
HI Alex

How was your day today? I hope you are feeling a bit better.

Cara

Alex101

Hi cara, today was lovely thankyou I still feel down at some points but not as much as usual, i managed to get myself back to the gym and beat my personal best weight lifting which I've have not done for a long time, then i had a chat with my girlfriend about how im feeling and then ordered pizza, how has your day been :)

Tijn

Hello Alex,

I know how hard it is I'm currently 16. And have problems too on school last year. I did go down because of a hypo. Had to go with ambulance to the hospital and i said bad things to my teacher i was in "trance". I like to have a chat with you if u want.

Tijn

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Alex,

I am checking up on you to see how your week is so far and what you are up to, what plans you have made etc
:)
Cara