Injections

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

When I recently picked up my prescription they gave me a different box of needles which were the same thickness 8mm as my novafine but a lot longer. The issue is when I remove the needle a big lump appears and then a black bruise. I always change my injection sites but I am very worried about this. any advice as to what is causing it and what I should do? My hba1c is really not good and I am stressing about this. I am due to go to the hospital next week so I will mention to them.

Many thanks for reading :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hello Scarlett .
Do you mean the new needles are 'longer' in length ?

How do you do your injections ? as in just wack the needle quickly into your skin ?
Or do you go in at a 90 degrees angle into a skin fold made by your fingers ?

I use the skin fold as my own DSN explained to me it bruises 'less' this way .
When I was quickly wacking the needle in - it nearly always bruised me .
My DSN told me with some people it can bruise them others however are fine with using this way/style .

It appears it is a personal thing with each person perhaps :)

If you are stressing over this - yes 'do' mention this to them at the hospital next week. :thumbup:
To be getting stressed over this cant be good for you .

Hope this can help .
Anna .

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Take them back! I use 4mm needles as you only *just* need to go under the skin, whos skin is 8mm thick?! :thumbup:

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw thanks! The length of the needles I have been given Arecibo longer than my normal ones. I am not over weight and I am in my ideal weight range,so not sure why I have been given these.
I guess it must be cost saving exercise.....

A Simple hi can make you smile :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your pharmacist MUST provide what your surgery prescribes so check your prescription. It may be the result of the re-naming of BD Microfine 4mm needles to BD Microfine Ultra which has meant all prescriptions have had to be changed and surgeries have taken different approaches. My surgery automatically changed over to the new name I still received 4mm needles.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that i bruise quite badly every now and then with 5mm needles. I'm quite lean and i think i occaisionally catch a small capillary or vein near the surface. Nornally hurts like hell when i do that too.

Apologies for typos
, its a small virtual keyboard

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ElyDave said:
I find that i bruise quite badly every now and then with 5mm needles. I'm quite lean and i think i occaisionally catch a small capillary or vein near the surface. Nornally hurts like hell when i do that too.

Apologies for typos
, its a small virtual keyboard

I'm the same with the 4mm needles. I think that you can catch a capillary regardless of size. Hurts though!

Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
I did DAFNE a few months back , was told you only use 4mm or less.