Mini fridge to store insulin

clifton90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone use a mini fridge to store their insulin? I am moving back in to university halls to do my PGCE and I don't want to keep my insulin in the shared kitchen. I have just bought an Argos mini fridge but I am dubious to use it after reading the guide. Does anybody else use these?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

clifton90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think it's cool enough but it says it cools 20-25 degrees below ambient temp, so I'm worried this could drop below 5 degrees! As they cool based on the room temp it's not a constant temp which worries me and was wondering if anyone had us experience with it. Thank you pav, I did come across these, however I will have many boxes stocked up before I move! So unfortunately they would not fit in that little one, even though they are a great idea!

Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
Please be careful with the mini fridges , they're prone to form frost after a week or so of non stop usage , don't want to be freezing insulin , just keep an eye on the back of the fridge , if it frosts up please defrost :D

clifton90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
See that's what is worrying me! It's a double edged sword as I'm worried about keeping it all in a shared fridge as it could go walk about, be dropped, moved etc. But then having a mini fridge in my room could lead to another disaster!

Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
Use your fridge , just keep an eye on it , if you notice frost just turn it off for an hour or two :)

Glen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, DIY, winter,
Unless it has a some sort of temperature control I wouldn't use it for anything other then keeping the beer cold. Proper little fridges with thermostats aren't too expensive considering the piece of mind it will give you.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi Clifton90 .

Maybe consider using a clippable sealable Tupperware box to store your insulin in .
Therefore keeping it completely frostfree :thumbup:

I do this in my fridge and it works a treat too .
My insulin comes in a cardboard box container and the cold damp in the fridge
could affect it .
So I use the Tupperware box for this reason .

Hope this can help :)

Anna .

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
I beleive this is what your looking for it iscalso good for holls or any where realy. Its designed for the job not a make do measure.

https://shop.diabetes.org.uk/product.as ... ler-fridge

quote="clifton90"]Does anyone use a mini fridge to store their insulin? I am moving back in to university halls to do my PGCE and I don't want to keep my insulin in the shared kitchen. I have just bought an Argos mini fridge but I am dubious to use it after reading the guide. Does anybody else use these?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App[/quote]

clifton90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That little medicooler looks great but I'd need about 3 to store all my insulin!

Anna - do you do that in a proper fridge or a mini fridge?

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice! :)

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Clifton!

I think I'd be wary of storing medication in those little mini fridges - they really aren't meant for perishable items. You can't control the temperature properly and I think it would be asking for trouble - you need something you can set the temperature on. Maybe something like this (although it might be a bit big?):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LEC-R50052W-Sta ... cr_pr_pb_t

Anyway, whatever you decide, buy a fridge thermometer so that you can keep a check on it.

Smidge

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
clifton90 said:
That little medicooler looks great but I'd need about 3 to store all my insulin!

Anna - do you do that in a proper fridge or a mini fridge?

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice! :)

There are small fridges available as in slimline smaller sized fridges .
Check out currys, comet, outlets for these ...
I have a smaller slimline one in my kitchen - this is where I use my Tupperware box
to store my insulin in .

Yes - at uni - it is either a communal shared kitchen or obtain a small fridge
to place in your own room , you can always drape a nice top on the top of it .
[just make sure vents to cool are left uncovered at all times ]
Plonk sum pictures or personal things on the top to make it look less clinical .
Put loads of funky fridge magnets on the door and use as a notice board too :thumbup:

Your own foods/milk for brews etc can be stored in here alongside your insulin too :)

Anna .

johnbear2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
conservative polititicians
Just use a fridge temperature gauge at back of fridge and you should be fine, I store mines in tupperware box in fridge

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You should be able to get a fridge off the uni as I did in my third year - its a half fridge (not mini) they give you for the year. speak to the housing team and state you need to store Insulin. Also really helpful for them to know as if anything happens (your sick or pass out) they put you on a high alert list. Think that also stretches to being locked out and the like.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Engineer88 said:
You should be able to get a fridge off the uni as I did in my third year - its a half fridge (not mini) they give you for the year. speak to the housing team and state you need to store Insulin. Also really helpful for them to know as if anything happens (your sick or pass out) they put you on a high alert list. Think that also stretches to being locked out and the like.

This is true. I work in a Halls of Residence and because of Health and Safety the University will always purchase a fridge for you and install it in your room. They will also need to know that you are diabetic for the reasons mentioned above. Never keep medication in a shared fridge - it's too risky and not at all advisable. You've probably been at Uni for a couple of months now anyway, but I hope you are getting on well.