Wholewheat Pasta

JudeK

My daughter is 3 and diagnosed with Type 1. She loves pasta but it is causing a big spike a few hours after she eats is. We are trying to alter the time/amount of insulin to avoid this. Does anyone else have this issue?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that having cheese with the pasta helps. The fat slows digestion and reduces the spike :)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tend to have the opposite problem - pasta causes hypos almost immeadiatly after eating

JudeK

Exactly what happened my daughter today...gave her pasta and the correct amount of insulin and the pasta took so long to release that it caused her sugar to drop to 2 and then spike to 12 about 3 hours later. Maybe I should give her the insulin about an hour after she has eaten??

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried gluten free pasta.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
JudeK said:
Thank you izzi...does it tend to release quicker??

Not to sure.
Saw this somewhere:
"Most gluten-free alternatives are still high in carbohydrates. Although some diabetics are particularly blood-sugar sensitive to grains"

Would it be possible to try a little sample, or is that a bit risky.
best of luck,

Roy :)

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is nothing risky about it (I'm gluten free because of coeliac) its just made out of corn rather than wheat and I find it tastes just as good! No loss if it doesn't work out, although gluten free may improve blood readings long term.

CambridgeLass

Yes, pasta will cause a low after eating so its good to have pudding after- fruit or something, as pasta is complex carb and takes ages to break down it will then peak around 5 hrs later. You could try a split dose. It's probably easier to manage on the pump with the settings they have. We're currently on MDI and I won't give pasta in the evenings - only lunchtime where I can control correction doses and she is active. If she has it in the evenings she'll have a great bedtime reading but spike close to 20 in the night and remain high.

sunday

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
How much insulin do you give for pasta?
I´ve heard about different ways.