Probably newly diagnosed-blood results bad

hunxstar

Thank you whompa73 & Netty70; you know I thought I was just being over-sensitive (grumpy and hyper perhaps?), but my feelings mirror yours entirely. Well done for taking the time to speak up; hey I'm just a new kid on the block, but this place has been a beacon of hope for me in these last few months. Diabetes is a unique journey for everyone, and I feel that it is this uniqueness that we all have in common...without each other's experiences, help and advice, a noob like me can fall very easily in to Info Overload Land, and get blinded by science/pseudoscience etc etc. Finding people with altruism, honesty, experience and patience to help others is a godsend (or rather websend?!) is something I am grateful for.

Andy12345, I have been biting my tongue along with you! :lol: LOVING IT!! :clap:

Just my 2cents. I am a newbie. Please do not flame me :silent:

Netty70

hunxstar said:
Thank you whompa73 & Netty70; you know I thought I was just being over-sensitive (grumpy and hyper perhaps?), but my feelings mirror yours entirely. Well done for taking the time to speak up; hey I'm just a new kid on the block, but this place has been a beacon of hope for me in these last few months. Diabetes is a unique journey for everyone, and I feel that it is this uniqueness that we all have in common...without each other's experiences, help and advice, a noob like me can fall very easily in to Info Overload Land, and get blinded by science/pseudoscience etc etc. Finding people with altruism, honesty, experience and patience to help others is a godsend (or rather websend?!) is something I am grateful for.

Andy12345, I have been biting my tongue along with you! :lol: LOVING IT!! :clap:

Just my 2cents. I am a newbie. Please do not flame me :silent:

Hey everyone is here to help and happy too
When I was first diagnosed I would of been lost without the people on here
There knowledge is better than any doc or DN if your not sure about something ask a question someone will always try and help
Good luck

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
When someone offends me and behaves in an uncivilized way that threatens to ruffle feathers. I no longer get angry or annoyed I simply take a leaf out of Mrs Browns book and say 'Thats nice' and unless they have seen hat episode it usually goes over their head.

(PM me for the youtube link)

I would also like to thank everyone who has ever helped me and huge hugs to those who continue to answer our questions no matter how dumb they seam to be.

Mark

Netty70

zaphod37 said:
When someone offends me and behaves in an uncivilized way that threatens to ruffle feathers. I no longer get angry or annoyed I simply take a leaf out of Mrs Browns book and say 'Thats nice' and unless they have seen hat episode it usually goes over their head.

(PM me for the youtube link)

I would also like to thank everyone who has ever helped me and huge hugs to those who continue to answer our questions no matter how dumb they seam to be.

Mark

:) I agree mark

Mrs brown is the best, have you seen him live if not try and go he is awesome :)

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Not yet Netty but it's on my to do list :D

Mark

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
And the moral of the story is.....?

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Martina79 said:
I think what annoys people on here is someone coming along who has googled everything about diabetes and think they know every answer just like you think you do.

- I dont google much, i use just a few scientific websites, some are for professionals. :) and if i knew everything i would ask here, sounds logic doesnt?
i dont know what is your intention to be annoying here, perhaps you expect me to appology for intimidating you by being intelligent enough to recognise a **** information?
this illness is serious and if somebody has bad knowledge, i try to help and explain that he is not right so it will help him and others.

Martina if this is really how you treat everyone that you come across who does not agree with everything you say, or who in your opinion is not quite as intelligent as you think you are, then I am not entirely surprised that you are left feeling that you are being ignored or not being taken seriously - the one thing no one has told you here so far as I am aware is to go away but why that is I cannot understand to be honest with you.

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, we do vary. I can go down to 3.5mmol and up to 25 mmol and be completely unaware that anything has changed and no one notices any difference so in one respect I'm lucky but that's why diabetes is insidious as there are people walking around undiagnosed with sugars in the 20s and damage being done.

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Neil Walters said:
Martina79 said:
I think what annoys people on here is someone coming along who has googled everything about diabetes and think they know every answer just like you think you do.

- I dont google much, i use just a few scientific websites, some are for professionals. :) and if i knew everything i would ask here, sounds logic doesnt?
i dont know what is your intention to be annoying here, perhaps you expect me to appology for intimidating you by being intelligent enough to recognise a **** information?
this illness is serious and if somebody has bad knowledge, i try to help and explain that he is not right so it will help him and others.

Martina if this is really how you treat everyone that you come across who does not agree with everything you say, or who in your opinion is not quite as intelligent as you think you are, then I am not entirely surprised that you are left feeling that you are being ignored or not being taken seriously - the one thing no one has told you here so far as I am aware is to go away but why that is I cannot understand to be honest with you.

I think the reason is because at some point the information she has had and may still get. may help her and regardless of my not likeing the way she is or what she says . I could never turn anyone away from vital help they may need . Even if its just a remote possibility they will ever need it. I dont think its my place to do that. I just stick up for myself and others when what has been said against people has vexed me.

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
I think what they mean by sympoms showing up at 14/15 MMO/L is not that you know you are strating to go high or even the crankyness buy things like weeing and neuropathy

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep, I only know I'm high if my meter tells me so, I do start to feel quite wonky when I go below 4.0 though so I now know to make sure I eat something before any long exercise sessions as I'm usually on my own when exercising.

Netty70

Neil Walters said:
Martina79 said:

:):):):):)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
By definition hyperglycaemia is blood glucose above normoglycaemia. This is certainly at a level of 200mg/dl which works out at 11.1mmol/l. That's the level required to diagnose diabetes (a condition defined by hyperglycaemia) with a random blood test.
patients with severe hyperglycaemia such as those who present with severe classic hyperglycaemic symptoms or hyperglycaemic crisis can continue to be diagnosed when a random (or casual) plasma glucose of ≥200 mg/dl (11.1 mmol/l) is found.

The level at which you feel hyperglycaemic, or indeed hypoglycaemic depends on the levels to which you have become accustomed.
A gradual rise over months can be insidious. This is why some, mainly elderly people with T2, whilst avoiding DKA because they produce enough insulin, can gradually rise to levels of over 40mmol/l and end up very sick indeed . http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/hyperos ... emic-state

Martina79,
the urine test that you originally had, though a blunt instrument would certainly have detected glucose levels of above 10mmol/l which is the normal renal threshold.
From one of your posts I have deduced that you now have the results of an HbA1c and that was 6.4% .
As you seem to realise, this is just below the cut off point of 6.5% for a diagnosis of diabetes. http://www.diabetes.org.uk/About_us/Wha ... _diabetes/

An estimated average glucose level for the last 2-3months would be 7.6mmol/l. (notice the unit, it's not the same as the percentage figure shown in an HbA1c result and is quite different. It's always important to include units so people can understand what you are writing about).

The lower glucose levels you mention could be reactive hypoglycaemia. This is suggested by some authors to sometimes be an symptom of pre diabetes. It may be that the pancreas produces too much insulin in response to hyperglycaemia after meals, leading to subsequent hypoglycaemia.
http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/blood_sug ... poglycemia
As with T2 diabetes, diet and exercise are key features in it's management.

As an earlier poster said, the potentially serious hypoglycaemia associated with some people who have diabetes is related to an imbalance between certain medications (usually insulin or sulfonylureas) and food or exercise. It is potentially dangerous because the insulin or other drug may continue to lower levels and cannot be withdrawn from the body. This is not the case with 'reactive' hypoglycaemia.
This paper makes quite clear the causes in people with diabetes:
http://www.jdmdonline.com/content/11/1/17
i dont know why people in uk underestimate what i am saying, esspecialy those who dont absolutely know me.
Finally, I know that lots of people have been rather upset by your replies. Personally, I find your writing very muddled and difficult to read. Why not make use of the spell checker (this reply box has one), capitalise your I's, and divide your writing into paragraphs? Try to make your points politely, even if you don't agree with people. Though this is an informal forum, it is full of real people who can only derive their perceptions of you from your writing .

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Phew! It's a good job I missed this thread yesterday or my tongue would have been VERY sore from biting! :shh:

madgran2003

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I want to thank you all for your kind messages on my first visit yesterday to the forum.
I did indeed go and get my hypos checked out in hospital. I went in for a day of fasting but my body did not cooperate. I am still having hypos. I start to feel funny at about 10 or 11 when I'm starting on the roadway to a hyper.
I have been reading all your different experiences and advices and have been learning and trying them out. I feel the humour in some of the replies.
Keep giving the advice and encouragement because I am still learning and still feel lost.
Thank you so much for this site and all of you trying to live with diabetes.