Can't lose weight...fed up :(

Lea76

I was diagnosed in Feb with type 2. I had already started eating healthier before being diagnosed and by end of April I had lost nearly 2 stone. Since then I have not lost 1lb! I'm eating really well 3 meals a day no snacking, plenty of exercise and my bloods are brilliant always between 4-5.5.
I've had an underactive thyroid for 11 years but since dieting I've had the doseage reduced twice as its been too high. I'm having a blood test next week to check my level is back to normal.

Can anybody suggest why I'm not losing weight? I know I should be happy my bloods are better but I'm feeling really down. I'm not going to give up as I feel I have changed my eating habits for life but I still have 3 stone to lose!

I was thinking if trying slim fast for a few weeks to see if that helps as I can't see how else I can cut down :(

Any advice is much appreciated x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Lea
I've been struggling to lose a bit more weight for many months, having already lost about 3 stone. the only way I manage to struggle an odd kilo off is by eating VERY little for a few days. I do have a pack of Atkins shake here, which I sometimes have, but since I don't eat much at any time, It doesn't help much. I looked in to the diet shakes before chosing this one to buy, because I noticed how high the sugar content is in some of them. the Atkins shake isn't the cheapest, but it's low carb if you make it up with water, and the vanilla flavour is quite nice. Imake it up thick and have it for breakfast some days.
I only eat 1 "meal" per day. Something like a small portion of meat and green vegies. I have the shake for breakfast or dinner. Today Ihad crozzled bacon [just that nothing else, but coffee] for breakfast and because my husband had a hospital appointment, We're having our main meal tonight, so I had homemade mulligatawney soup for lunch. Made from different tinned vegetables, tomato paste, chicken stock and curry powder.
I'm making rissoles with spouting broccoli for dinner.
Hana

Lea76

Thanks hana, It's so disheartening isn't it :(

I think I will invest in some shakes and give them a try for a week or two. Maybe that will give me a kick start?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hmmm I really don't like the shake idea, anything that is unsustainable sounds like a bad idea to me (no expert) when I plateaux I do some interval training at the gym and it seems to spark it off again, literally the next day, interval training is something anyone who can exercise can do, if you aren't too fit then its easier to try and kill yourself for 10 minutes ie. run like crazy for a minute then walk fast then run like crazy then walk, if after the 10 minutes you need an ambulance then you did it lol, im playing about the ambulance......kinda but seriously when I have plateauxed in the past ie stopped losing weight for a month I have done this and it worked so maybe worth a try, after getting up off the floor carry on with whatever work out you would normally do and see what happens

(just speaking from personal experience im neither expert on exercise or medically trained in any way)

good luck with whatever you try I know how awful it is hitting your head against that wall

Lea76

I've been doing that for the past 3 weeks Andy. I thought that would have helped but alas no :(

I think it could be my thyroid but it's so annoying when your trying your best and getting no results. I've read online about eating a bit more than normal for a week and then cutting down again to give it a boost. Knowing my luck id gain half a stone lol

Chrissiedc

Like you I've been getting really fed up with the spiral of not losing weight, needing to adapt medications accordingly etc. But what I would say is that I have been doing the Visalus 90 Day Challenge since the end of April and on this I am managing to lose weight. It's not going as quickly as I would like, but it is going. But most important of all is that I am being able to reduce all the medications, so I am feeling so much better too. The "Challenge" consists of 2 shakes a day (i usually have one for breakfast and then one for lunch with snacks in between. The breakfast one is usually a Greenie - spinach/kale, apple etc - and the lunchtime one can be a chocolate or strawberry one. Then I'm having a full meal in the evening - trying to keep healthy, so it could be salmon and salad with new potatoes or something like that. I am having 1370 calories a day and following myfitnesspal.com app to help me to keep a record and ensure that I'm drinking enough water - and although it's slow, I think I'm getting there.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but just don't give up! :)