How serious is ketosis?

Mireille

Hi, although I am not yet confirmed as being diabetic I have been reading about a complication that diabetics can get called ketosis which I think is something to do with burning fat which is the point of dieting? The pharmaceutical companies say that it is serious but can only come about from eating the wrong things. They say there is a simple urine test that can be done but I don't want to spend money unnecessarily and that may be just what they want me to do. Does it only occur with people who are overweight, or is it something that I should be asking my GP to check? As I am not carrying excess fat (I don't think!) maybe I am immune to this?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I think you're confusing ketosis with diabetic Ketoacidosis,they sound similar but they're not,I'm always in ketosis with no problems but diabetic ketoacidosis is very serious and life threatening and needs urgent treatment at a hospital..google both of them and you will see the difference between the 2 states.

Best wishes

Paul

Mireille

paul-1976 said:
I think you're confusing ketosis with diabetic Ketoacidosis,they sound similar but they're not,I'm always in ketosis with no problems but diabetic ketoacidosis is very serious and life threatening and needs urgent treatment at a hospital..google both of them and you will see the difference between the 2 states.

Best wishes

Paul

Thanks.... had a read and I can see the difference. But the pharmaceutical companies say that even ketosis itself should be avoided so it's a bit confusing. Since you are always in ketosis then you would do something about it if there was a problem.

Mireille

Mireille said:
Hi, although I am not yet confirmed as being diabetic I have been reading about a complication that diabetics can get called ketosis which I think is something to do with burning fat which is the point of dieting? The pharmaceutical companies say that it is serious but can only come about from eating the wrong things. They say there is a simple urine test that can be done but I don't want to spend money unnecessarily and that may be just what they want me to do. Does it only occur with people who are overweight, or is it something that I should be asking my GP to check? As I am not carrying excess fat (I don't think!) maybe I am immune to this?

Not sure what happened to the forum just then? Apologies if this is a repeat.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Paul is in ketosis because he is a low carber. The same for me. Ketosis occurs when you eat a very low amount of carbs. However, my sugar levels (and presumably Paul's) are in range and not high. Therefore, neither of us have to worry about the presence of ketones showing ketoacidosis.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
That's true,my blood glucose levels are well controlled but as a type 1 i'm still at risk of ketoacisosis if my levels were to run high and especially during times of illness or dehydration and in those circumstances I would seek medical help.

Mireille

Mireille said:
Mireille said:

Seems to me that there is a higher focus on kitchen replacements than things like ketosis.

Mireille

Mireille said:
Mireille said:

Seems to me that there is a higher focus on kitchen replacements than things like ketosis.

Mireille

Mireille said:
Mireille said:
Mireille said:

So one should strive for a state of ketosis rather than trying to avoid it?

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are doing low carb and aiming to loose weight then yes.

If you have high blood sugars and ketones appear then you should sort your sugar levels out ASAP to avoid ketoacidosis. If you think you've got ketoacidosis then you should visit A&E.

Are you trying to low carb?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I agree ketosis is my friend, id be upset not to be in it hehe

Mireille

Patch13 said:
If you are doing low carb and aiming to loose weight then yes.

If you have high blood sugars and ketones appear then you should sort your sugar levels out ASAP to avoid ketoacidosis. If you think you've got ketoacidosis then you should visit A&E.

Are you trying to low carb?

Sorry for long delay in replying. No, I have no interest in low carbing. I think that a sensible diet avoiding excesses is fine as I understand it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mireille. You may be lucky and not become diabetic or only have a 'mild' form for many years, but many of us have no choice but to low-carb. Don't forget that diabetes is a condition where the body cannot handle carbs properly and therefore for many low-carbing is not a choice but essential if you are to avoid high and dangerous blood sugar. This where ketosis can creep in as the body starts burning fat to get energy as it can't use the glucose from the carbs. If the ketones continue together with the high blood sugar ketoacidosis kicks in. Insulin is then urgently needed either short-term or long-term. In summary, a sensible diet for non-diabetics is not the same sensible diet for many diabetics.

Mireille

Daibell said:
Hi Mireille. You may be lucky and not become diabetic or only have a 'mild' form for many years, but many of us have no choice but to low-carb. Don't forget that diabetes is a condition where the body cannot handle carbs properly and therefore for many low-carbing is not a choice but essential if you are to avoid high and dangerous blood sugar. This where ketosis can creep in as the body starts burning fat to get energy as it can't use the glucose from the carbs. If the ketones continue together with the high blood sugar ketoacidosis kicks in. Insulin is then urgently needed either short-term or long-term. In summary, a sensible diet for non-diabetics is not the same sensible diet for many diabetics.

So, let me understand things properly. Once I have used up any excess fat through ketosis (which is good news from the Newcastle Diet point of view) I must eat a lot of carbs in order to gain energy and create a new fat store? I assume that fat storage and the conversion of stored fat into energy requires energy? Otherwise, we are talking about perpetual motion?