Fat,Sick and nearly Dead. Juicing. Need some advice please..

antmos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: Fat,Sick and nearly Dead. Juicing. Need some advice plea

I am not sure why you are looking for a juicer. When I look at the Reboot diet they are talking about smoothies rather than juices. I think part of the diet is eating the pulp for fibre as well as drinking the juice. A smoothie maker would probably be cheaper than a juicer, or use an old fashioned blender.

I am quite interested in doing this for 10 days but I am worried my sugar will spike. If any of you have already done this, how were your sugar levels while rebooting?

SewK8

I started yesterday and my levels stayed at or around 9 all day. (I have to run higher due to hypo unawareness)

Looking forward to day 2!

Kat

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.

The programme was 'promoting' a bells and whistles juicer called 'Sage' by Heston Blumenthal. This costs £149 and there doesn't seem a way of getting it cheaper.

I went onto the Which site and compared all the juicers and although the Sage is sturdy and does the job well it has a few issues when cleaning.
The reviewers said Pros were the sturdiness and cons were the price.

I have looked at juicing and diabetes and and can't decide so I am putting it on hold for a while.

If I do buy a juicer it was have to be an Argos £25 one as I haven't the money for a Sage.

At no point in the programme was a smoothie maker mentioned....

andytur

I've spent a lot of time and money on juicers. The best price-performance is matstone-6-in-one (£150). It is the cheapest single augur juicer.

Centrifugal juicers like the philips are much cheaper (£40), they are a waste of money as you use three times as much veg to get same qty of juice. Plus the heat burns the enzymes, removing part of the live enzyme benefit.

Over and above that, you can only drink <200ml of fresh juice. It makes blood sugar rocket. Because you are removing all the fibre, concentrating the carbs and making them instantly absorbed. i had to stop using my expensive juicer rather quickly.

The only 'benefit' is that if you hate eating any veg, you can get by with 150ml or so after a meal. IMHO a total waste of time and money, when you could just eat half an apple (or whatever it is).

juicing is very popular with weight loss people, even though it isn't a sustainable diet - it drops loads of water / weight at start is all. it has no application for a diabetic.. personally i think it's a crazy idea.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.

Fair enough.... It's all I wanted to hear.

Cancel that sketch then...

damonfrog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Is there a recipe for the juice or do you just use what u like? :)

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Have a look on Jos Cross's Reboot website page. There are lots of recipes on there.

Plus if you register you can opt to have a recipe a day sent to your E Mail box.

jojo-71

I've had great success with Juicing and with a combination of juice only weeks and healthy eating brought down my HBA1C from 9.8% to 7.2 in 4 months and lost nearly 2 stone. I'm type 1 treated with insulin. My caution is the effect juicing has on on your BS levels - you need to monitor bs before and after every juice to get an idea how your body reacts and be prepared to lower your medication. Plus monitor in the night too as night time hypos are a genuine risk.

I have done loads of research and have found green juices that are vegetable based, with apple to sweeten have the least impact on bs levels. For some reason carrot juice does send them high and I need to treat it like a fruit. Adding psyllium husk can help increase the glycaemic load.

I'm currently on day 4 of a juice only week and my sugars are stable. I eat as healthily as I can most of the time now and aim to include a green juice daily but life is life and sometimes I need to do the week to kick start me back into a healthy place (as it forces me to cut out caffeine, alcohol, refined sugars). I have found no end to the health benefits and even came off blood pressure tabs.

I cannot reiterate enough though that if you do juice then monitor your levels closely. When I am not juicing I follow a diet based on glycaemic load which is great for bs levels but I do struggle to lose weight.

I use a juicer and blender - they are the most used kit in my kitchen!

damonfrog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I will look at his website! It's exciting - I would ideally like to lose 5 stone - realistically 3 stone! I wonder if this could be the thing that works for me?!!!!!! Xxx

damonfrog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I will look at his website! It's exciting - I would ideally like to lose 5 stone - realistically 3 stone! I wonder if this could be the thing that works for me?!!!!!! Xxx

louise33

I'm from US and we have a very strong blender called a Vitamix. I use organic chard, celery, cucumber,baby spinach, romaine lettuce, a few carrots and some small proportion of a fruit (about 3%). Sometimes it's papaya, or mango or pear - apples don't seem to add much flavor.

The Vitamic breaks down about 95% of the fiber before the brew starts getting warm. I immediately seal it in ball jars and freeze it to maintain nutrients.

This helps a lot because I get fiber and organic greens. I just drink it every day and do'nt have to worry about fiber or greens. I also get a good amount of potassium, which I need to take.

Bad part is Vitamix is about $400 but its been going for 3 years and still seems fine.

A little comic relief: my dog kept begging for the juice and I gave her some, expecting she'd hate it. She loves it and now we both have our juice break every afternoon. So far she's very hralthy and energetic: )

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

mandydowns

Hi

I have tried juicing - affected my blood sugars and something else that I wasn't prepared for was the damage that it did to my teeth. My dentist is very anti juicing because of the damage that it does to your teeth if it is used excessively due to high acids. I needed two fillings as my teeth have now got cavities which my dentist maintains is due to drinking juices - made from natural ingredients of fruit and vegetables, not shop brought.

I guess it proves that anything taken to excess can be the opposite of healthy!

C burns

I no this was posted a while ago but just wanted to add this. I had appt with dietician a few weeks bk and I was advised not to follow this diet for the same reasons mentioned above. Juicing can cause spikes and significant drops in bs. If ur going to try this please speak to ur consultant or dietician first.im type 1 but then again every1 is differs g and wot works 4 me may not work 4 u x