Type2 Diabetes.v. chinese food

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Thats 2 of my favourites BUT they do make me have a 1 hour spike of about 15 :shock:

Not as bad as a certain curry that i managed upto 20 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mood wise, like most i get very tired at that level, even though after about 3 hours i do drop down, this sudden drop makes me feel tired as well.

But we are all different and untill you try it you will never know.

Good luck and i hope you enjoy it.

Best wishes for Christmas and The new Year

Brian

smitha

Hi
Like you, I love chinese food, but havent found any dishes which dont send my bs high. I do have a takeawy on a friday night, but tend to just get ribs and spring rolls. I get my husband to order a dish I like, then just have a little pick of his to serve my craving!!!
I think chinese is prob one of the worst for us diabetics.... :evil:
smitha

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
Any food with a big portion of carb-rich food will affect your BG and mood accordingly.

If you choose stir fried vegetables and proteins, choosing bean sprouts over noodles and nuts over rice then you will probably fare MUCH better ... however, if you go down the battered anything route, with rice in any form then you'll probably get significantly higher readings ...

Very high or very low readings CAN AND DO affect mood, personality, perception and abilities so use the meter (glucometer lol) to find out what the BGs are.

I think also that some people (diabetic or not) can be affected by eating MSG rich foods ...

ll the best xxx

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I go to the Chinese Buffet occasionally and eat chicken and seaweed.

steveamos1234

I'm type 1, so not exactly a fair comparison but I love Chinese!

Most dishes don't agree with me, but the best I've found is Chow Mein. Our local Chinese makes it with a mix of noodles and bean sprouts, so the carb count isn't too high.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I love Chow Mein as well,and like you,it doesn't affect me too much.(as long as I stay away from chips and rice!!)

colrow

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat once a week at a chinese eat all you can buffet, and i have a small bowl of chicken and sweetcorn soup, with just a small amout of the sweetcorn, then 3 or 4 ribs, some fan tailed prawns, a bit of shredded duck, then i have some egg fried rice not too much with some roast pork and beef n black bean sauce, and polish it off with a bowl of fruit salad and cream, 1 hour later my bg is about 6 ish.

What I'd really like to eat though is tons of sweet n sour chicken balls, tons of rice, and for pudding half a dozen bannana fritters swimming in a lake of syrup, oh and 3 irish coffees with loads of brown sugar and cream and at least 3 doubles in each one !!! And on the way home probbly have a quarter pounder with cheese and a strawberry milkshake.

How I've changed from my very bad diet of 3 years ago is amazing really, no doubt about it I'd be very ill or dead if I'd struggled on as I was, breakfast would have been 2 or 3 big bowls of cornflakes or sugar frosties with three or 4 desert spoons of sugar, then two white bread bacon sarnies for break, fish n chip type lunch, 2 or three cakes and a couple of mars bars for afternoon break, and for dinner, a massive curry with nans and chapatis, and then 6 tescos hot cross buns with butter.
No wonder I felt clogged up !! But I agree with people above saying it was addictive once I had one I had to gorge myself.

Happy New Year to everyone

Reactions: AnnieH 2

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Eeek and I thought I used to be a carboholic! Well done though for changing your diet so drastically! Hmm reading your post just makes me want a lovely chicken stir fry yummm! :D

grh1904

It does depend on how the Chinese is made.

Before being diagnosed (initially T2, but later changed to T1 and insulin) I used to work at a Police local section office, right next door to a Chinese take-away. When on my week of night shifts, on a Tuesday & Thursday, I'd run to my local running club, train, then run to the section office, get showered and order a take-away.

The sweet & sour was by far the most popular dish, everyone raved about it. Anyway, after diagnosis I'm trying to get things under control and I had cut down on things like this, but still enjoyed one, especially as when I was on nights it was sometimes hard to make sure I had a meal already chilling in the office fridge just waiting to be "NUKED".

I did find that after eating one my BG's went stratospheric and I couldn't work it out, why was it going so high???

One day I noticed the staff unloading their car with supplies and noticed about 3 or 4 trays of "HP" fruity sauce (48 bottles per tray) going into the take-away. I then went and ordered one and asked how thwy made it.

Although the lady on spoke limited English she said "Frooo-eee" sauce and proceeded to show me a bottle of said sauce, and using her fingers led me to believe that about a third of a bottle of this stuff was going into each portion.

Not only was I eating a large portion of rice, when I looked at the ingredients of a bottle in the supermarket next time I was shopping I established that it mainly consists of sugar and other substances that would affect BG.

It has opened my eyes a bit as to what actually goes into foods, especially from take-away's. It just goes to show, a place that has a good reputation (through how much the food is enjoyed, cleanliness etc) may not be the best place to eat.

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
If I eat chinese then I have a meat or fish/prawns dish without the rice, and beansprouts or mushrooms on the side. I nick a chip or two from my boyfriend though. :mrgreen:
If I have Indian I have prawn or chicken sagh with either bhindi or mushroom bhaji and a poppadum to soak up that yummy grease. Mmmmm...

JohnnyAngel57

I don't have a chinese very often but when I do I'm afraid I pig it a bit. I have a chicken chow mein, portion curry sauce and portion chinese chips :roll: We used to have a chick chow mein each and shared the other portions, but now the wife can't eat these things I have it all myself, but as I say its once in a blue moon, and very satisfying :shock:
JOhn

popps

I've just returned from the Chinese buffet. Dinner consisted of: chicken and black bean sauce, stir-fried vegetables, chicken and celery stir fry, sea-weed, followed by watermelon and lychees. I just ignored the rice, noodles and battered stuff.

Sticks

Sorry about bumping this ancient thread.

I was recently diagnosed and came in at 7.1

This Sunday is Chinese New Year, so I would like to mark it with a Chinese dish

In previous times I would go for Sweet and Sour Pork with Egg Fried Rice, but am told they are on the banned list. It is suggested I go for steamed rice but from what little I have seen of this forum rice is persona non grata. :(

lilibet

Wouldnt
Touch
It
With
A
Bargepole

:roll:

I miss chicken fried rice but really really cant tolerate it or find a way to make my insulin cover it and to be honest am not going to try as the margin for error is a pain

I suppose for you however, just get it as a one off, maybe have a good walk before it or something, or maybe after?

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Jem said:
Any food with a big portion of carb-rich food will affect your BG and mood accordingly.

Very high or very low readings CAN AND DO affect mood, personality, perception and abilities so use the meter (glucometer lol) to find out what the BGs are.

ll the best xxx

This mood swing thing intrigues me. My wife and son frequently call me a grumpy old b******

Can I blame my mood on the BG I have at the time?

On my aquarium I have one of those stick on thermometer labels, where the water temperature is illuminated so you can read it. Perhaps someone will invent the equivalent for grumpy people with betes, so we can wear it on the middle of our foreheads and everyone can see our BG and know when it's safe to talk to us and when it's time to run for cover. :wink: :oops: :lol: :shock: :twisted:

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
PS - I've had two glasses of red wine, two spring rolls and a whole squeezed grapefruit this evening. :shock:

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Judging by the ingredients labels on the supermarket sauces for both lemon chicken and sweet 'n sour, they're both very high in sugar. I doubt the local takeaway would be very much different.
I'm T1, not T2 but I can tell you in my experience, most Chinese takeaway foods need a great deal of insulin to cover them. Sugars and starches just about everywhere. One exception is Foo Yong, which is usually simply a combination of eggs, meat and/or vegeatables and really tasty.

fergus

bedshaped2000

the only two dishes ive found i can have is a omlette which isnt very chinese lol or salt and pepper chicken. when i was first diagnosed and went all healthy i ordered fresh seaweed telling my partner how healthy i was going to be. she nearly wet herself when we took the top of my long awaited takeaway to find they has sprinkle sugar all over the top pmsl