illness and diabetes

brooketypeone

I've been quite sick for the past 2 days, and I've just now checked my BG and was shocked and a little scared that it had peaked to 20! is this anything to do with me having the flu do you reckon? also should I inject some insulin as I ate 4 hours ago and it's very high, or should I leave it??
thank you!:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
Re: illness and diabetes

Hi brooke hope you feel better soon thinking of you & sending get well wishes destiny

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

Hi hun,

Yes you need to keep a very careful eye on your levels - can you test for ketones ?

At your current levels, because you have flu I would certainly test for ketones and generally when your blood glucose is above 13 mmol/l you should be, particularly over 4 hours after eating as your short acting would of worn off - DAFNE recommends the following sick day rules:

With severe illness you should test every 2 hours, when blood glucose is above 13 mmol/l - sip sugar free fluids at least 100ml every hour. If ketones are present then calculate your Total Daily Dose (TDD) of insulin from the previous day (so include background and short acting).

If ketones are present and between 1.5 - 3 mmol/l on optium meter then give 10% of TDD as QA insulin every 2 hours + usual QA:CP ratio if eating plus Background Insulin.

If over 3 mmol/l ketones are present then give 20% of TDD as QA every 2 hours + usual CP ratio if eating plus usual BI.

I hope this helps - it's important if you dont have ketone strips to get some, they expire after a year so it's always worth keeping them on prescription for events like this.

I hope you feel alot better soon, flu is pretty awful, only had it once and hopefully never again, good luck and let me know how you get on :thumbup:

brooketypeone

aw thank you that is so helpful! but I didn't even know ketone strips existed?! I will need to get some, are they available on prescription?? but thank you so much! still bed noun but hopefully be better soon! xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Hey hope you're feeling better today ? and how are your levels ?

You will need to ask your DSN to get you some or send a letter to your practice to get them on prescription, also if you havent got an Optium Meter then get the test strips that you do a urine test on !! I found this just now looking on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ketostix-Test ... 4897.l4275

The urine test ones last longer - and as you are not ill that often (I hope!) then these are probably better.

:thumbup:

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!

how many more units can you give yourself if you peak above say 13? :?:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Hi Rachy,

The amount you give yourself depends on your Total Daily Dose, so keeping a diary to monitor what insulin you take on the last day of being well is important. It's best to test after 4 hours if you take quick acting as this will of left your system. It also depends on whether you have ketones too as you need to take more drastic action if ketones are present to bring your range down, the amount you take is different for everyone.

Are you unwell at the moment and what readings are you getting ? Also have you got ketone strips to test with ?