how often do you test your blood sugar level?

carolius

Hello all! I am taking regular readings of my blood sugar levels to record and show the doctor when I go and see them (I am concerned that I may have type 2 diabetes, or pre diabetes). But I do not know when and how often to test it. Could you help?
Thank you muchly!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Depends on your budget and availibility of test strips. I would test before meals to begin with. That should give your nurse and good picture.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi, I test mine 4 times a day, before meals and before I go to bed.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well my doctor would prefer it if I only tested twice a week, but I actually test at least twice a day. I find this improves my control

Netty70

carolius said:
Hello all! I am taking regular readings of my blood sugar levels to record and show the doctor when I go and see them (I am concerned that I may have type 2 diabetes, or pre diabetes). But I do not know when and how often to test it. Could you help?
Thank you muchly!

Hi
You need to test before meals and two hours after
This also shows what foods suit you and what don't
Keep a food diary also
Good luck

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with Netty as the two readings help tell you both your background level and the effect of food. You only need to do this a few times a week or less depending on budget to give you some idea.

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was testing morning, before and after every meal and before bed. Now I have a set diet that I know doesn't cause problems so test every few days or if I feel odd (never been a bg issue) or if I eat something different.
About to introduce a few carbs so will start testing meals again. Feeling lethargic and suspect the carbs might help - could just be lack of panic though.

Lol77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I find I test multiple times on some days, usually when I feel iffy and then go a day or two without. When you get used to how your body reacts you sort of know when you are high or low and should test to check.

SpaceChick

Lol77 said:
I find I test multiple times on some days, usually when I feel iffy and then go a day or two without. When you get used to how your body reacts you sort of know when you are high or low and should test to check.

Pretty much this.

I always test in the morning, but some days that will be my only testing.

On days when I feel a bit dodgy I will test before and 2 hours after every meal and on occasion if I'm having a particularly bad 5 mins!!

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My DSN has advised me to test once a day, but vary the time of day. So on one day I test before breakfast, then next day before lunch, the next day before dinner, and so on.
However, in reality, being of newbie-status I am testing about 5 times a day or more lol. Spending a fortune on strips too!!

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Before and 2 hours after every meal, helps me to find what foods I can eat and which ones I should avoid.

Mark

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I tested before and 2hrs after each meal. Do not bother with when I get up or before I go to bed because it is never too far from other testing

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
brooketypeone said:
TonyTruthful said:
About 3 times a week. Usually when I think I’m hypo.

Still using the ostrich technique. :roll:
what the ostrich technique??

Hiding your head in the sand!