Energy drink?

xAoifex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Martina79 said:
thanks for entertaining. you dont know what those drinks contain exactly, you never heard of electrolytes or vitamins nd minerals that supply oxigen in muscles and without those you wouldnt be able to walk. make some research first.
I have heard of all these things however are you sure you know what they are?

This is the ingredients of lucozade sport, I fail to see any electrolytes or minerals and the vitamins in it give you a measely 3%/100mls of you RDA

Water, Glucose Syrup, Citric Acid, Acidity Regulator (Sodium Citrate), Stabiliser (Acacia Gum), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid, Sweeteners (Aspartame, Acesulfame K), Flavouring, Vitamins (Niacin, Panthothenic Acid, B6, B12), Colour (Beta-Carotene). Contains a source of Phenylalanine

They have nothing to do with "oxygen" and everything to do with nerve transmission. But obviously either you already know this or I am wrong (which will it be this time?)

If you require a further lesson in biology then please let me know

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with the others, I run up to marathon distance and wouldn't normally need to drink liquid glucose until towards the end of that distance.
As a T1, I do sometimes need to drip feed small amounts ( I use dextrose tabs 4g at a time) to avoid hypos from too much insulin in the system I don't think though this is necessarily applicable to someone not using insulin. If I had low or normal glucose levels I would eat something lower GI before exercise.

The recipe given earlier, diluted orange juice + a pinch of salt , + some sugar if necessary works well if you really do require some extra fuel ( the juice has some sugar and also helps replace potassium , the salt sodium) but unless you are going a long distance or expending a lot of energy you are unlikely to need this type of drink.
http://bicyclepaper.com/articles/402-Ho ... rts-Drinks

It's worth being aware that exercise in the untrained is more likely to be anaerobic and thus cause levels to rise rather than to fall.
http://www.runsweet.com/HeartRate.html
Hydration is a different matter, personally, I normally drink water because I find the taste of sport's drinks cloying during exercise but lucozade does in fact produce a 'lite' hydration drink.

Netty70

phoenix said:
I agree with the others, I run up to marathon distance and wouldn't normally need to drink liquid glucose until towards the end of that distance.
As a T1, I do sometimes need to drip feed small amounts ( I use dextrose tabs 4g at a time) to avoid hypos from too much insulin in the system I don't think though this is necessarily applicable to someone not using insulin. If I had low or normal glucose levels I would eat something lower GI before exercise.

The recipe given earlier, diluted orange juice + a pinch of salt , + some sugar if necessary works well if you really do require some extra fuel ( the juice has some sugar and also helps replace potassium , the salt sodium) but unless you are going a long distance or expending a lot of energy you are unlikely to need this type of drink.
http://bicyclepaper.com/articles/402-Ho ... rts-Drinks

It's worth being aware that exercise in the untrained is more likely to be anaerobic and thus cause levels to rise rather than to fall.
http://www.runsweet.com/HeartRate.html
Hydration is a different matter, personally, I normally drink water because I find the taste of sport's drinks cloying during exercise but lucozade does in fact produce a 'lite' hydration drink.

:)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
The issue with needing to drink during exercise is more about hydration is it not. The body will naturally convert body mass whether fat or muscle through ketosis and even then only when significant exercise is being undertaken.

Glucose 'energy' drinks do not give energy any more than any other form of glucose and to a diabetic they are simply madness are they not?

Discuss

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

FurryCub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football
I do 2 hours of hard rugby training a week and we all just have water. Any excess glucose from energy drinks will just get pee'd out anyway so it's a bit of a waste.

On match days we have water bottles to hydrate and afterwards maybe a bit of port, some lagers, a few vodkas and if I'm feeling especially adventurous some Malibu, oh and possibly some jäger.

Cub

tettenhall boy

I find REALLY low salt levels contribute to cramps,etc.

Feel free to have a go.

I ate normal meals while in South Wales, me, wife and dog and did loads of walking. This was fine. No night cramps, did need a vimto after a few hours on monday though.

Keep your monitor with you.

All will be well.

Martina79

So, i did some research and i ordered SIS and HI5 to try. these energy drinks are without glucose so i ll see :) i dont know but i like when i have higher blood pressure from drink and all muscles working much better , absolutely no cramps , so i enjoy sport much better and dont mind to do exercise 3 hours 6x a week...

As somebody 'adviced me' about not do heavy exercise in untrained person-of course this is body damaging to everybody not just diabetics. with sweating nd esspecially in humid weather u loosing all minerals and without these you r cousing damages. thats why also sport drinks are essencial. you simply need some straight after you start to sweat, so you avoid all cramps and tiredness later on and your body will recover much easier. you cant do sport without nessesary minerals and you cant get it all in food. esspecially if you hav to count calories.
i combine anaerobic and aerobic. i always start with joga/stretching, then some running, stretching and some lifting or push ups and litlle strech on the end.

About my gramma - i was never good in languages or speaking. only if i try hard and take time. i dont have time to improve it as i am busy person and have talents for other things. one of these as you finally could notice. i am sorry if i am annoying but thats me.

Edited due to inappropriate wording and will not be tolerated on the forum

RRB

WhitbyJet

[quote="Martina79"

About my gramma - i was never good in languages or speaking. only if i try hard and take time. i dont have time to improve it as i am busy person and have talents for other things. one of these as you finally could notice is xxxxxx its my hobby trough evening as during the day they xxxxx of me.so the 'revange' comes on end of the day. i am sorry if i am annoying but thats me.[/quote]

Members have done their absolute best to answer your questions, yet you continue to be rude, obnoxious and ignorant, they must have forgotten to add good manners to your spoonfeed. Never mind energy drinks this and that, how about you register yourself on a six month residential course at charm school.

Incidentally, good grammar is important, its the very basis of good language skills, http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-Is-The-Us ... id=5134263.

Edited inappropriate wording from OP
RRB

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
WhitbyJet said:
Incidentally, good grammar is important, its the very basis of good language skills,

Even the humble comma can completely change the meaning:

'Eats, shoots and leaves' describes a scene from the Godfather.

'Eats shoots and leaves' describes the diet of a panda.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Martina if you think of us as dumbs on here why don't you find a site more suited your "talents" and leave us normal people to get on helping each other with our experiences.

Netty70

Martina79 said:
So, i did some research and i ordered SIS and HI5 to try. these energy drinks are without glucose so i ll see :) i dont know but i like when i have higher blood pressure from drink and all muscles working much better , absolutely no cramps , so i enjoy sport much better and dont mind to do exercise 3 hours 6x a week...

As somebody 'adviced me' about not do heavy exercise in untrained person-of course this is body damaging to everybody not just diabetics. with sweating nd esspecially in humid weather u loosing all minerals and without these you r cousing damages. thats why also sport drinks are essencial. you simply need some straight after you start to sweat, so you avoid all cramps and tiredness later on and your body will recover much easier. you cant do sport without nessesary minerals and you cant get it all in food. esspecially if you hav to count calories.
i combine anaerobic and aerobic. i always start with joga/stretching, then some running, stretching and some lifting or push ups and litlle strech on the end.

About my gramma - i was never good in languages or speaking. only if i try hard and take time. i dont have time to improve it as i am busy person and have talents for other things. one of these as you finally could notice its my hobby trough evening as during the day they of me.so the 'revange' comes on end of the day. i am sorry if i am annoying but thats me.

Edited inappropriate wording from OP RRB

Your not annoying
Your just rude and bad mannered

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
"About my gramma - i was never good in languages or speaking. only if i try hard and take time. i dont have time to improve it as i am busy person and have talents for other things. one of these as you finally could notice is its my hobby "

Edited inappropriate word from OP RRB

This explains an awful lot. Not wonder she is so obnoxious rude and agressive . She spends the majority of the day indulging herself in her favourite hobby of xxxxxxxx herself off. And she is right she is very accomplished at it . To be that competant at it she must have had years of practice . No wonder she hates the world. coz it too is obviously bumb isn't it? After all it created her :lol:

Edited same word RRB

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
][quote="Martina79"

About my gramma - i was never good in languages or speaking. only if i try hard and take time. i dont have time to improve it as i am busy person and have talents for other things. one of these as you finally could notice is xxxxxx of dumbs:p its my hobby trough evening as during the day they xxxxx of me.so the 'revange' comes on end of the day. .[/quote]

Hmmm, that is pretty much as good definition of an internet xxxxx as I have ever seen, as a talent it is one you would do well to lose.

Edited inappropriate wording from OP and the Txxll word
RRB

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
It's a good job there's not a Karma system on here or Martina would be about -1000 by now!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Guys

Lets keep this topic on track please regarding energy drinks. Words like Troll and personal remarks wont be tolerated on the forum. I know members can get annoyed and frustrated with a post, and some people like to add fuel to the fire, and before you know it, things gets out of hand.But let this die down on it's own accord and help and advise others who really need it and want it.

I can remember only ever having one energy drink and that was a small bottle of Lucozade given to me In Morrisons in 2007 when I had a hypo meltdown. It tasted awful, but a saviour at the same time, I went off home with it and next day the contents went down the sink. My daughter doesn't drink them, to me it's yet another marketing ploy to get people to part with their well earned money :roll:

Take care

RRB :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
lucozade sport was my drink of choice before dx :( i loved it *sniff*

in hindsight i suppose it didnt love me :)

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
very well, I too fell for the marketing at one point, right up until I was diagnosed prediabetic several years ago and got myself a meter and saw what it was doing to my blood sugar levels, at which point I switched to water. Back then I was still climbing and winter mountaineering, the only problem with changing to water was that it tended to freeze pretty solid after a couple of hours on a Scottish mountain in January

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thommothebear said:
very well, I too fell for the marketing at one point, right up until I was diagnosed prediabetic several years ago and got myself a meter and saw what it was doing to my blood sugar levels, at which point I switched to water. Back then I was still climbing and winter mountaineering, the only problem with changing to water was that it tended to freeze pretty solid after a couple of hours on a Scottish mountain in January

Hi I am no mountaineer, but the thought of climbing a small mountain in Scotland, with a flask of tea in my backpack ( and some water) is something I would love to do. Scotland and walking/climbing :D

RRB