currently in hospital....

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got diagnosed with diabetes Jan 12 but I haven't been taking my medication for the last 12 month's then Monday I had to take myself to hospital as really didn't feel well got admitted with a blood sugar reading 40 and I'm still in hospital! I know I was wrong for not taking my insulin but I had no support from the docs/nurses and it made me I'll and I put in a lot of weight! I know I have to go back on insulin but I don't wana put any weight on again I had to work hard to get the 3 stone off that I put on the first time! Does any one else have problens with there weight?

Mireille

princesskyra said:
Got diagnosed with diabetes Jan 12 but I haven't been taking my medication for the last 12 month's then Monday I had to take myself to hospital as really didn't feel well got admitted with a blood sugar reading 40 and I'm still in hospital! I know I was wrong for not taking my insulin but I had no support from the docs/nurses and it made me I'll and I put in a lot of weight! I know I have to go back on insulin but I don't wana put any weight on again I had to work hard to get the 3 stone off that I put on the first time! Does any one else have problens with there weight?

I think you are dong well to be able to post to the site from your hospital bed. Hope all goes well.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
princesskyra said:

Hello princesskyra

I was 8 1/2 stone before I was diagnosed,24 years ago, went down to just over 7 stone. When I was told I was type 1 and had to take Insulin the weight started to creep back up, I was 31 and I wasn't keen,. But I have always taken my Insulin, always. If you carry on doing what you are doing, bad times will eventually get you. What's the point of being a couple of stone lighter, with possible vision loss, amputations, kidney damage, strokes, nerve damage etc. You are a very lucky person to still be here.

I do wish you well, only you can make changes if you really want to. Life doesn't end when diagnosed with diabetes, don't let it rule or ruin your life, I'm sure there is so much more. This forum is so helpful and supportive as well.

I just want to end with a little quote :- which may help.
No one can go back and make a new start. Anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

Please look after your self

All the best RRB

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
im afraid i know nothing of this stuff but wish you better soon, take care

chr1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I also didn't take my insulin for over a year and lost around 2 stone as I was scared of insulin and weight gain - however the past month I have got myself on track. You need to bite the bullet. I haven't gained any weight as I have been on a low carb diet. I know from experience how hard this step of taking insulin again can be but it IS possible and YOU CAN DO IT! I feel 100 times better now back on insulin and I know you will too! I am always here if you need someone to chat to.

All the best

Charlotte x

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So sorry to hear you are having a rough time at the moment. I completely understand as I have done a similar thing before. I hope you get better really soon! Can I ask what insulin you take? When I came out of hospital at about 17 years old after stopping taking my insulin and going into DKA, taking my insulin again I started to blow up like a balloon! At the time I was on a long acting insulin called glargine. They changed this to Levemir which I am still taking nine years on. (Along with bolis NovoRapid) This didn't have anywhere near the same effect as the other basal insulin did. I am not particularly slim though being only 5" 1 probably doesn't help, but I find it much easier to lose weight now. I recently lost 1 and a half stone by following slimming world which is a great plan and a good balanced diet with no cutting out of any carbs etc. sorry to waffle on but I thought that sharing my experience with you might make you feel a bit more positive! Get well soon and always here if you need a friendly diabetic ear! :) x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You are very brave to post this. Well done. I hope you get better soon. This is a great place to get support

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think being diabetic is awful and 'normal' people just don't understand how hard it is! I have no idea what to eat!! I can't even eat fruit as its too high in sugar for me! When I stopped taking my insulin I lost the 3 stone that I put on by doing slimming world and the constant thirst/peeing went but my nurse has said I can't diet! I'll be on nova rapid and the one in the orange tube....I'm currently eating hospital food n that's already making my sugars high! So don't know what um supposed to do! Sorry for moaning!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
princesskyra said:
I think being diabetic is awful and 'normal' people just don't understand how hard it is! I have no idea what to eat!! I can't even eat fruit as its too high in sugar for me! When I stopped taking my insulin I lost the 3 stone that I put on by doing slimming world and the constant thirst/peeing went but my nurse has said I can't diet! I'll be on nova rapid and the one in the orange tube....I'm currently eating hospital food n that's already making my sugars high! So don't know what um supposed to do! Sorry for moaning!

Try not to worry too much, It may take a little while for your body to get back into a good place agin.

I had an eye operation last week and my levels were awful, but since yesterday they have started to come down and behave themselves, because I was getting anxious.

Just focus on getting better and stronger both in mind and body. You can do it, it will take a lot of guts ,willpower and determination, but hopefully you will get there. Just take small steps and don't push your self too hard to begin with.

Get well soon and take care

RRB :D

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi, hope you are beginning to feel better now. What type are you? I'm type 2 and used to be on insulin until May this year when I was changed to Byetta because of weight gain, I've lost almost 3st since then. Is there any chance perhaps you could be changed over?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sarah69 said:
Hi, hope you are beginning to feel better now. What type are you? I'm type 2 and used to be on insulin until May this year when I was changed to Byetta because of weight gain, I've lost almost 3st since then. Is there any chance perhaps you could be changed over?

Hi Sarah I believe the OP is Type 1 as she posted in the Type 1 section. I don't know if Byetta can be used by Type 1's. Maybe someone will be along with an answer.

RRB

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Oh sorry I'd forgotten what section I was posting in!! I don't think type 1's can use it. Oh well forget what I said except the get better bit! :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Weight gain with insulin is often the result of having too many carbs in the diet. Do try to keep your carbs below, say, 150 gm/day and low-GI. Your nurse said don't diet? Wot? Most of us have to have a controlled diet to manage our diabetes as by definition diabetes is the result of the body's inability to handle carbs properly and the converted glucose lingers in the blood. Hospital food must be very frustrating but hopefully you will be home again shortly and can choose your own suitable food. Yes, you must take the prescribed insulin but do try to get your weight into the right BMI region thru diet which will help enormously. Good luck.

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Really hope you do feel better soon! I'm sure as well that when your sugar levels even out you will feel better mentally as well as physically. All the best of luck to you and wishing you a really speedy recovery so you can get away from icky hospital food! X

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry to hear your in hospital, it's a bit of a wake up call, you know what needs to be done but it's feeling confident to do the right thing and get the right support. I hope that your current situation brings you to the attention of a good nurse and you will start to feel supported. (We're here too if you need any advice !)

I might sound like your diabetic mum here so hope there's some useful advice I can offer, try and start a diary now going forward, write down: Time your reading was done, your BG levels and insulin taken, this will help you manage your doses better and can tell your team how you are doing, if you dont have a diary (i'm sure the hospital can get you one) then use a jotter pad. Recording your results identifies trends and patterns (i.e. taking too much or not enough insulin) also gives you more control over managing your levels better. As suggested it's best to try and eat a low carb diet - so leave out bread/pastries/rice/potato/desserts these cause your levels to rise quickly, try and eat more green veg, salads, more meat, fish and eggs, low fat cheeses - so as an example I would have a curry but without the rice, for breakfast I make a muffin with flaxeed meal and eat cheese, or bacon and eggs or an omelette with courgettes and feta cheese, that sort of thing, the less quick acting insulin I take the less margin for error with going high or low = better control, it also means I can see what my background is doing too.

Your don't have to gain weight with insulin, just do regular exercise and eat well, please make your priority to get better first. You can have a good life with diabetes but you need to embrace it and take control of it, as time goes on developing good control get's easier but speak up and make sure you are getting support.

PM me if you need any info/advice, i've done DAFNE and follow Dr Bernstein's advice, I have a daughter so am determined to live a healthy life, I don't try to dictate to others as we are all individuals but if I can offer support then happy to help - big hug x

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do eat a lot of carbs.....I really don't know what I'm supposed to eat! I don't eat meat or fish either! And I do eat a lot of food! Think my doc mentioned something about going on a course..! Oh and some good news I get to go home today yeehaaa :) thanks for all your help/advice everyone x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Glad to hear your going home - that's great news !

Yes carbs are key to gaining weight sadly - the more carbs you eat the more insulin you take and then your weight goes up.

Get your doctor to refer you to a dietician at the hospital - they will be able to get you an appointment with someone who can sit down with you and work out a meal plan.

The other thing you can do is get 'carbs & cals' which you can download as an application on your phone, it will show you the amount of carbs in your food and help you decide how much insulin to take, or buy the book.

The more knowledge you have the more of an expert you will become, knowledge is power !

Keep posting updates on your progress, it always good to off load with others and good luck :thumbup:

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Hope you feel better soon, are you on Lantus long acting insulin as well as short acting insulin? the reason i ask is when i was put onto 4 injections a day i was put on Lantus and humalog and i started to put the weight on and when i spoke to my nurse she said Lantus can cause weight gain, so she moved me onto levemir instead and i have lost the weight through weight watchers and back to my normal weight and have not had any problems with the levemir insulin

good luck

tracey167.

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm I can't remember which ones they are putting me on I'll find out today when they discharge me! I've downloaded that carbs n cals app so going to try n use that too but I love carbs.....!