Weight Gain Taking Victoza Injections?

Dislikes
incompetent people, having to deal with plebs..
I have been on Victoza 1.8 injections for nearly 18 mths in which time I have pilled on the pounds... Has anyone else experienced this?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are you also having a suitable low-carb diet in conjunction with Victoza otherwise it can be difficult to counter the insulin resistance?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sally. Can you expand upon your diet so we can see if it can be adjusted to reduce the carb content and make it as low-GI as possible?

Dislikes
Daibell said:
Hi. Are you also having a suitable low-carb diet in conjunction with Victoza otherwise it can be difficult to counter the insulin resistance?

I'm told that I need to be eating a certain amount of carbs as a diabetic because it's slow energy release which is needed as a T2D?

I do eat 2 brown slices of toast most mornings and pasta, rice, pots at least once a week with evening meal.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
diabeteshater1964 said:
I'm told that I need to be eating a certain amount of carbs as a diabetic because it's slow energy release which is needed as a T2D?

I do eat 2 brown slices of toast most mornings and pasta, rice, pots at least once a week with evening meal.

I inject Victoza daily and if I had that amount of carbs I too would put on weight. I had to adjust mine and I keep my weight level. Its been exactly the same 3yrs running and so has my HbA1c :thumbup:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Diabeteshater. Thanks for info. Whoever told you that you need to have a certain amount of carbs as a T2 is misinformed. None of us actually requires any carbs at all (the Inuits manage quite well without it) as the body can create glucose from fat and proteins. However, most of us choose to have some carbs in our diet. The carbs you do have are best spread out during the day and low-GI of course. Bread is not ideal for T2s as it normally contains highly processed flour. If you do have bread have wholegrain or Burgen and only one slice at breakfast if possible (sorry; yes I love bread as well!). Eggs and bacon are a good alternative. I do have homemade muesli but this is as 'bad' as bread. Pasta, rice and potatoes are not ideal but I have them and try to have them wholemeal, small'ish portions and not too often. So, it sounds like your diet isn't too bad so just try to keep the portion sizes down and use the meter to see what affects you most.

Dislikes
Hobs said:
diabeteshater1964 said:

I inject Victoza daily and if I had that amount of carbs I too would put on weight. I had to adjust mine and I keep my weight level. Its been exactly the same 3yrs running and so has my HbA1c :thumbup:

Hello Hobs, where did I mention anything about amounts of carbs? You need to go back and read the post my friend, please put your glasses on this time :lol:

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
diabeteshater1964 said:
Hello Hobs, where did I mention anything about amounts of carbs? You need to go back and read the post my friend, please put your glasses on this time :lol:

I'll put it another way then as my point has obviously not registered .. if I had two slices of brown toast most mornings as you said you do, over the weeks I would definately see weight gain due to the fast acting carbohydrate content of the bread. It might only be about pound every month but over a year that could grow to be twelve pounds.

It is entirely up to you whether you take advice or not, as advice from personal experience is all we can offer in this forum and what suits one might not suit another. Most of us in here usually 'eat to our meter' and adjust our diet accordingly, but only you can choose what action to take :shrug:

Dislikes
Your comments are noted, thank you.

You say that eggs and bacon are a good alternative but surly this would be jumping from the frying pan into the fire?

it seems to me that most people on here are following some variation of Atkins diet, low carb high fat?

Victoza is a drug with possible cancer causing side effects, it will only be a matter of time before people start complaining of thyroid and pancreatic cancer. Only my opinion...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Eggs and bacon are fine as the carb content is very low and the concern about saturated fat consumption around the world is based on very weak science (yes, Group Think is a very powerful thing). I become a low-carber not thru knowledge of Atkins or whatever as I had never heard of it, but thru my meter which showed me that it was carb consumption that pushed my sugars up. Most posters on the forum have found the same thing; Yes, Victoza does have side effects so my thoughts are to try to reduce weight so that it's use can be avoided. As it's carbs rather than fats that cause weight gain, carb reduction can also help with weight loss. Whilst I low-carb I don't aim for high-fat; there is no need. Having a good mix of proteins, veg and some carbs is my approach.

localgirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who only answer your text messages when it suits them. Getting older. Politics, Dishonesty, Cooking
Hi diabeteshater1964,
"Victoza is a drug with possible cancer causing side effects, it will only be a matter of time before people start complaining of thyroid and pancreatic cancer. Only my opinion..."

Can you give me a link to where this information can be found please as my diabetic nurse wants to put me on this, and i can understand why, but i need to know more.

Thanks

chris_h

Dislikes
Rap, grung and annoying people.
The dietician at the diabetic clinic at the hospital told me not to eat to many carbs, to limit the rice bread and potatoes and pasta, to start the day with protein such as egg and grilled bacon with tomatoes, if I want to loose weight. As a T2 it is old hat that you need loads of carbs, it has been found that protein is best, keep carbs to a minimum and look for complicated carbs ie fruits,(apricots, oranges, plums, pears, grapefruits and prunes).veg,(Broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, turnip greens, eggplant, yams, corn, carrots, onions, all types of lettuce, celery, cucumbers, cabbage, artichokes and asparagus) are all examples of these.
legumes,(lentils, kidney beans, black beans, peas, garbanzo beans, soy beans and pinto beans. and use whole grain when you want bread or rice or pasta. Just passing on the advice given to me if it might help someone else as well then good, I'm not a dietician, just a T2 on insulin. trying hard to loose weight. :?

Dislikes
localgirl said:
Hi diabeteshater1964,
"Victoza is a drug with possible cancer causing side effects, it will only be a matter of time before people start complaining of thyroid and pancreatic cancer. Only my opinion..."

Can you give me a link to where this information can be found please as my diabetic nurse wants to put me on this, and i can understand why, but i need to know more.

Thanks

Hi there local girl, take a look at these pages..

http://www.bad-drug.net/bad-drug-blog/v ... etic-users

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/la ... ifK_JoZ7wo

http://www.youhavealawyer.com/victoza/

There are so many more pages if you search the internet. Hope this helps.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Chris_h. I think your dietician deserves a medal for getting it right.

steve23holmes

Dislikes
reallity tv shows, bad drivers, politics.
I have been taking Victoza for 16 months, and 4 months ago started going to the gym, i have lost 23lbs, and i still take Victoza, I believe that the pros of this drug out weigh the cons. :problem:

Dislikes
Hi Steve,

Good for you, sounds as though you are well suited to this med. I've actually managed to gain 18 kilos since taking it :-( not funny if you are a stocky chap to start with.