Getting told off

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never wash my hands before testing and I always lick the blood away... haha! No problems so far after 20 years! :lol:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Its so fantastic to hear that there's other non washys and more lickys out there!!

Cgm manufacturer said my actual blood readings against cgm would be invalid if I didnt get up and wash hands!! Do all these manufacturers and DSN's etc really think that they would wash their hands al the time!!

Proud to be dirty!!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been more careful about hand washing since I tested at 12.5 around two hours after eating a bowl of chips. So I took a correction dose and almost immediately felt hypo. Washed my hands and retested at 3.3 :shock: Potato debris on hands gave a false reading ;) For the record, I'm also a licker :think:

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can remember a poster who had trouble at work. People thought of him as an untouchable but wouldn't let him have a desk which was out of the way. I told him to test (the more blood the better) and then rummage in the box of chocolates they had grudgingly offered earlier. Not only does this mean you have somewhere to wipe the blood but you get the whole box of chocolates to yourself.

Personally, I am a licker too but mostly wash my hands but have been known not to.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I had just one bad hypo at xmas a few years ago from not washing my hands... I did a correction after testing too... And I must have had some food stuff still on hand... Hypo soon knocked me to pieces...

Now, on very rare occasions of over 10, then I do make the effort to wash hands before retesting just incase (i forgot that hypo!!).

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I scrape off using the test strip and then in the bin.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I've a vague memory that saliva is mildly antiseptic, so licking is not only natural, but good for small wounds. I Lick too, but test on my forearm.
Hana

starbuy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I must confess I am a licker. Though I like the suggestion of patting the person next to you, particularly if he is one of those prats that block the doors on trains and tubes. How about those dirty great cotton balls the clinics use. I keep finding those still stuck across my elbow or migrating their way around my body or worse they came out of my pocket with the small change. A suck and a lick is the most practical . No rude comments please

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Yep, another slick licker here! I wash my hands too before pricking....ermmmm..

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Always wash my hands and always lick.
Although been known to wipe some blood off on a tissue and chase my daughters round the house with it if there's no spiders handy.
We can grow older but growing up is optional :crazy:

nicolan6534

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I sometimes 'prick n lick' (haha) but I also use sterets - small skin cleansing swobs. Much more convenient than having to wash hands. They're about £4 for 100 from amazon.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Deanna_Griff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
• Minging hypos
• Uncontrollable highs
• People who think I can’t eat doughnuts.. haha
This discussion has made me chuckle :lol:

I study horse management in college, when I'm on the yard, touching and handling all sorts of things, I don't even think about washing my hands before testing.. and now thinking about it, it's disgusting :sick: what germs I could be licking off my finger, hahahah eww!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Isnt that meant to be hee haa or hee haw?