Low carb = High ketones?

Hi everyone :)

So for a while now I've been slowly reducing the number of carbs I eat a day, both for my health and for my diabetes.
This time a few months ago I was eating 300g+ which obviously isn't all too good.
I was reducing the amount in increments of 20g per week, and I'm now where I want to be eating between 20-30g.
However, I've noticed that the more I reduce, the more my urine smells of ketones...
Last night I tested and found myself at 4++, which usually means ketoacidosis for me..
But I'm feeling fine and my blood sugars are between 4-6...
Does anyone else have this?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Hi!

I'm on 30 grams a day and regularly show +++ or ++++ on the stick as a result of ketosis(burning fat for fuel) and my sugars are quite good too which has been fine,I always keep a close eye though if my sugars are high and/or i am ill or dehydrated and in those circumstances I always seek medical advice as ketoacidosis IS sadly a risk we have to take seriously as type 1 low carbers.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, so as type 2 low carber i have never tested for ketones, thats fine i assume?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Hi Andy!

I imagine at your level of carbs per day you are firmly in ketosis and testing with a ketostix would most likely reveal that but as a type 2 low carber it's a personal thing whether or not to test unless you want to stay in ketosis but increase your carb levels and find out how high you can go and still stay in ketosis(if that makes any sense lol)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi mate,

but im not really at any risk unlike t1 am I? as long as my bloods stay within range its fine no matter what my ketones are doing right?

i dont have any ill effects whatsoever that seem to be associated with the diet so im assuming im ok but if i should be keeping an eye on keytones i would like to

now im thinking maybe ill get hold of some of these stix thingys and just have a look anyway :)

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
To the best of my knowledge as a type 2 you should have no problems and I know quite a few type 2's who have been in ketosis for years with no problems,some have even posted piccies as a competition to see whose got the most purple colour on the stick! lol

I'll have to look for the thread on here :D

Rhaya

Howdy Candimittens,
you would just be burning ketones because fat is your main energy source now,instead or carbohydrate, not because of ketoacidosis. Your sugars are the key, keep a super close eye on them and you'll know the difference. Also do you know when you're feeling rubbish and your sugars are out of whack? With so many carbs in our diet, you usually only get ketones on the urine when everything is going to hell in a handbasket. This might be your new normal. Wait till you see your HbA1c, bet they will be better too :clap:

Thanks to you all for providing the term 'ketosis' as I've only ever been aware of Ketoacidosis...
From what I've now researched, it looks like so long as you have enough insulin, you won't defer into Ketoacidosis...
So I guess as a type one on a pump I should be okay... So long as I'm not ill!
For the type two's I guess it depends on the amount of insulin your able to provide yourself?
I think I'll discuss it all with a dietician at my next appointment, but will keep with it :)
Thanks for all your help! ^^