High Bloods

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Just looking for quick advice, if you are in the very early stages of pregnancy, can you suffer from u unusual high bloods sugars?!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

On my first pregnancy, I was slightly higher than usual for til about week 21 or so of pregnancy and then after that - OMG - I dropped like you would not believe - I was constantly low. The diabetic midwife warmed me of this, but really was not expecting this much of a difference! It was scary but in a way I was loving it. Towards the end end of my pregnancy when my diabetes consultant checked my HBA1c - it was 5.5 - they were quite shocked saying that I was better than a non-diabetic!

Hope it goes well for you!

N

JadeT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, with my first pregnancy my blood sugar levels were quite stable through the whole pregnancy but with my second pregnancy I found that at the start my sugar levels were high, then they settled down at around 12/13 weeks then went up high again around 20weeks... I had very good doctors and they just kept increasing my insulin levels until I was more settled and also they changed my background insulin to a different make whilst pregnant so it would work better...

Moaney

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks ladies, unfortunately, I'm not pregnant but desperately trying and had a bout of high bloods, turned out to b the cold!!! Clutching at straws much!!?? :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JadeT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's a shame, just make sure you get your levels back under control before you get pregnant and you will be fine :)

katyfrost

Her I am panicking also about high bloods. I took insulin with my dinner at 6 ( nearly 7 weeks pregnant now) and I have been struggling to get it down ever since!! So 9 hours of being between 8.4-13( at the highest point) and panicking this is a prolonged high in the first tri and all I'm doing is causing problems despite my best efforts. It's now 3 am and find myself wide awake worrying after deciding to change my set and insulin in the hope that it'll come down. My hba1cs fine and although I don't have reading to hand (hospital appt tomorrow) know its in the 6s, but just a little concerned about what's just happened !! Here's to hoping it comes down soon !!! Any advice??

Katy

FatIdol

I am a pregnant woman, still on 1st trimester. My sugar level is normal and I did PPBS too, it is also normal in level.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I'm currently 35 weeks and my bloods would be very high but for the fact that I am injecting industrial quantities of insulin. Eg in the mornings I'm injecting around 12 u novorapid to cover 30 g carbs - even this is not enough and I am thinking of putting it up to 14. If I wake up with sugars above 6 I do a 4u correction dose which may just about bring it down by 1 point an hour later. This on top of 32 u lantus per day. Crazy Crazy. Whenever I eat I just do a massive bolus dose, and try to catch any lows before they happen which is the name of the game at this stage unfortunately. Getting a bit fed up of it all now - only four more weeks to go. Doesn't help that I'm constantly hungry and got a sweet tooth, I've put on loads of weight but getting the baby out safe and sound is my priority so I'll worry about all that after.

fortion

as far as i know the sugar level goes slightly high but not so much so you can relax.... but in some exceptional cases it may go high

Worried123

I am 16 weeks pregnant, conceived on hb1ac of 8.3 but in first 12 weeks of pregnancy had the worst blood glucose readings, my insulin levels increased by 50%, in second trimester, I have been experiencing hypos with the occasional spike, for me managing blood glucose through pregnancy is very challenging