sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi

just been diagnosed with diabeties. don't kno what type im 54 years of age and I am obese 17st ,,im in a lot of shock and scared I have just took my blood glucose reading it is 7.7 after a tin of baked beans ,,
can anyone console me here im crying my eyes ouyt

thanks

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Re: diagnsed as diabetic im in shock anyone advise

hi, dont cry :) the number you got isnt very bad at all, in fact i thinks its within normal range after food, i think we are supposed to be between 4.4 and 7.8 so dont panic!

being diagnosed is a shock and its overwhelming but have a read up on it and try not to focus on the bad stuff, diabetes is a long term, when you read about the complication its scarey but this stuff may never happen, you will need to make a few lifestyle changes but these are the kind of changes you should probly make with or without your diagnosis, we have all been where you are and will be happy to answer any questions you may wish to ask, but for now take a deep breath, dont cry :) you will be fine :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs

Trust me you will be able to gain controll fairly easily. Im only 3 weeks .and with metformin exercise and low carbing my bgs have gone from fadtin of 14.5 and 21.9 after less than 1/2 can beans on brown toast . Down 2between 6 & 9 . Although if I ate baked beans now I reacon I would still go over 10 .maybe that sould be my next test?
Good luck james

Mireille

whompa73 said:
Trust me you will be able to gain controll fairly easily. Im only 3 weeks .and with metformin exercise and low carbing my bgs have gone from fadtin of 14.5 and 21.9 after less than 1/2 can beans on brown toast . Down 2between 6 & 9 . Although if I ate baked beans now I reacon I would still go over 10 .maybe that sould be my next test?
Good luck james

Not sure what 'fadtin' means? It sounds Turkish

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

this word is a subliminal message for people to send andy12345 money

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Mireille said:
whompa73 said:
Good luck james

Probably a double typo when typing fasting

Mireille

Ambersilva said:
Mireille said:
whompa73 said:
Good luck james

Probably a double typo when typing fasting

Could equally have been farting. But let's leave the answer to the person to whom the question was directed. Unless you are the spokesperson of course.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

sandy you obviously have a finger prick testing meter so i would suggest you test before eating and 2 hours after you started to eat a meal this will give you an idea about what that particular meal does to your blood glucose levels, try to reduce your intake of bread rice pasta and potatoes for now until you have learnt a little more, or try to at least eat low GI versions of these things ie. wholegrain bread brown rice and pasta and new potatoes, carbohydrates which these foods are high in turn to glucose in the body so they will tend to make your meter reading higher

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

eat lots of veggies (that grow above ground) and salads, generally try to eat healthily and reduce portion sizes if you are a big eater, maybe your already eating well? exercise if you are able is also a useful tool in combatting high blood glucose, all these things id advise reading up on :)

good luck

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

btw sugar in you tea or on your weetabix probly not a good idea :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Andy12345 said:
this word is a subliminal message for people to send andy12345 money

Ooooohhh you are awful Andy. Do not give this man any money, behave yourself :lol:

RRB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

I just wanted to say hello and welcome. I'm afraid I can't help with Type 2, but there are many type 2's n the forum with helpful advice and support.

RRB :)

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

thankyou for ALL REPLIES , WELL I HAVE JUST EATEN 2 BROWN PITTA BREAD FILLED WITH SALAD AND CHIKEN A YOGHURT AND NO ADDED SUGAR DRINK ,,, I MUST SAY I DIDNT ENJOY IT ,, BUT I HOPE THIS WAS OK TO EAT ,

IM VERY DOWN IN MYSELF I ALSO HAVE A SKIN RASH WHICH IS BURNING AND ITCHING AND WAS TOLD IT COULD BE TO DO WITH DIABETIES,,,

OHHHHHHHHH AND THE OTHER THING I WANTED TO ASK WAS ,,, WILL I ALWAYS BE CLASSED AS DIABETIC , BECAUSE I DONT THINK I WILL BE ON MEDS , I THINK ITS JUST DIET CONTROLLED?????

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs

Mireille said:
whompa73 said:
Good luck james

Lol fasting. Sorry case of fat fingers again :wink:

elaine77

That reading after a tin of baked beans is super good! If I eat even half a tin of baked beans I'm around 8-9mmol so goodness knows what a full tin would do. It's not as bad as it seems so try not to get too upset I'm sure u will be fine with some diet changes and when u start to see some good readings it will make u feel a lot better :)

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi. You have already had a lot of good advice from posters. Your diagnosis will almost certainly have been Type 2 diabetes probably the result of insulin resistance thru being overweight. If you can get your weight down thru low-carbing and controlled portion sizes then you should be able to make use of insulin properly again and have normal blood sugar. Yes, you will always be a diabetic but hopefully with good sugar control and effectively 'normal' thru a good diet.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

thankyou all for the support and advice :)

babbettes

I was scared stiff when I was diagnosed in 1999 have been on diet alone ,diet and tablets and now insulin and tablets there is so much to learn and I'm still learning now .Dont be scared you are not alone there's always someone to talk too

SpaceChick

You've had some great advice already :D

Reading your meal of pitta breads, chicken breasts, salad and yoghurt, it didn't exactly excite me either. :wink:

I don't know what you were eating before, but I'm guessing it wasn't too healthy. However, you can make some wonderful healthy meals that are deliciously tasty by adding a few extra herbs and spices. Diabetic diets do not need to be bland! They just need to be lower in carbs!

If you like chips, try sweet potato chips (although some people do have BG spikes from sweet potatoes, I don't) or if you like mashed spuds try mashed butter beans instead which are lower GI. I discovered both these things, not through diabetes but through an allergy to potatoes, but I can honestly say a nice fish cake or rissole made with butter bean mash is delicious!! Oh and oven cook them not fry them. :p

And I agree with exercise today, I find that if I can't get out on my bike for a few days, my morning fasting BS steadily rises again, but if I've been cycling the day before then it's good :D doesnt have to be cycling, starting with walking or swimming is just as good :D

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I use canderel . sweetners is that ok for sugar substiture