• No

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters

craig-r

Hello, I wonder if you could help.
My dad has been a Diabetic for about 8 years now. :thumbdown:

I am looking for manufacturers of Diabetic Food and Drink. In my town we have very little choice in anything Diabetic and I am wanting to start a Market stall full of Diabetic Goodies. My aim eventually is to have a shop but testing the water on a market stall is the way to go. I am trying to find manufacturers myself but have had little success. I thought you may perhaps be able to help? I went to Texas recently where the selection is Amazing and I want to bring that sort of selection to this country.

Craig :thumbup:

Mrspuddle

Sorry I know this is probably not what you want to hear but personally I hate 'diabetic' food and ovoid it at all costs :-(
What sort of products did you find in the states?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

K

Kat100

Would love a shop with diabetic food in.....nation wide in uk.....what a thought :)

craig-r

A lot of the stuff is made with splenda. My inlaws took my wife and I shopping and they did a weeks shopping of just diabetic stuff. they are both diabetic, my wife and I are not but we all ate the same food and we liked all of it. They cater for diabetics, vegans, gluten free etc over there a lot better than we do over here.

K

Kat100

Hi Craig....what a great plan.....good luck...meanwhile may have to pop to Texas best wishes kat

iHs

Hi

For many diabetics, the cost of buying low carb manufactured food is usually avoided mainly because it is limited in choice or too expensive for most budgets.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I could run a shop and just market goods with "Diabetic" on it.

That's more or less what happens with "Organic" and "Free range".

I could do Free range horse products for example.

Ok I'm cynical. Is it not possible for people to go to a regular shop and just buy food they can eat without involving a third party who will make decisions for us about what we eat? It strikes me as lazy and hazardous to buy and eat what someone else has essentially chosen for you.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder whether 'diabetic' food would work? Much of the diabetic stuff in the shops has Maltitol or similar sugar alcohols in them and which are best avoided. Diabetic food needs to be low-carb and those carbs to be low-GI. This is essentially healthy food for anyone so perhaps the stress should be more about healthy food rather than diabetic (I would ignore the 'organic' aspect of food as much of that is loaded with sugar etc and isn't healthy). Diabetic food of course includes protein, some fat, veg and so on so the question is where do you stop?

craig-r

Squire Fulwood said:
I could run a shop and just market goods with "Diabetic" on it.

That's more or less what happens with "Organic" and "Free range".

I could do Free range horse products for example.

Ok I'm cynical. Is it not possible for people to go to a regular shop and just buy food they can eat without involving a third party who will make decisions for us about what we eat? It strikes me as lazy and hazardous to buy and eat what someone else has essentially chosen for you.

It is lazy and Hazardous but what do you think you are doing when people buy from Tesco, Asda etc. Not everyone has time to cook from fresh or are mobile enough to shop for themselves.

How many Diabetics do you know that don't crave Chocolate, Sweets, Cakes etc. Every Diabetic I know wants Chocolate, Of coarse I can't speak for everyone.

Is anyone able to help me with my Question?
I only want to help those that crave or perhaps have to have a third party shop for them.

SpaceChick

Personally, I think for a business to be successful it needs to sell what a customer wants and be diverse in its products.

I do not buy products labelled "diabetic" but I do buy some products labelled "sugar free". Only yesterday I bought some sugar free white chocolate peanuts from my local market, they use Stevia (or Splenda) in their stuff.

I think for a successful sales model, you'd need to consider other niche diets too, maybe stock gluten free and lacto free products as well.

I think setting out to cater for diabetics alone is too small a concept to be successful, but catering for many diets would have far more chance of success.

Just my view. Hope it helps.

craig-r

I am wanting to do Gluten free too as my wife needs this. I think your right about marketing sugar free rather than Diabetic (thank you).

I would advise all diabetics to use a balanced PH diet which would help everyone but I know that's not what everyone wants. The diabetics that I know all eat and drink foods they have been advised against so to provide a stall/shop for those people is my aim. I know its hard to stick to what is deemed the proper diet and a lot of diabetics don't. My wife and I are not Diabetics but we have started using Stevia instead of sugar and also eating Gluten free and trying to eat a Balanced PH diet. Its not easy but I do feel a lot fitter.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Try to stock foods based as far as possible on real science which is not easy. Sadly many people now consider they need gluten-free products when they aren't sensitive to gluten or have coleac disease as it's 'trendy' so try to focus on real solutions for people with real needs including gluten free of course. My grandson is milk intolerant (goes into shock he even has a little) so add this to your list? I've not heard of the balanced PH thing? Is this evidence-based? It may be; it's just new to me.

craig-r

Daibell said:
Try to stock foods based as far as possible on real science which is not easy. Sadly many people now consider they need gluten-free products when they aren't sensitive to gluten or have coleac disease as it's 'trendy' so try to focus on real solutions for people with real needs including gluten free of course. My grandson is milk intolerant (goes into shock he even has a little) so add this to your list? I've not heard of the balanced PH thing? Is this evidence-based? It may be; it's just new to me.

The PH thing is basically keeping your intake as close to your Body PH (about 7.4) as you can. People that are ill all the time usually have a high Acid intake. For instance Cancer thrives in an acidic environment but stops spreading an an alkali environment. Its the same with most illnesses. A balanced PH is very important if you want to stay healthy.

I would do a few surveys first to find out what people need before starting my business venture. :thumbup:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
All diabetics.......no matter what diet they follow can adapt their diet so that they don't need to buy over-priced and unnecessary diabetic products.

craig-r

noblehead said:
All diabetics.......no matter what diet they follow can adapt their diet so that they don't need to buy over-priced and unnecessary diabetic products.

Yes they can But they Don't.