Lloyds Diabetes Test

Janiept

Expert
Ok, so about a year ago I had a few problems with my eyes and during the consultation with opthalmologist he asked for blood tests.
My results showed Hba1c was just under 8 and I was therefore diagnosed as diabetic.

I have a major problem trusting GPs and decided to decline further treatment for diabetes. I have been checking Bg levels regularly though and using information from this brilliant site for monitoring etc. My usual post prandial readings are between 6-7.5 so I think I can assume that the diabetes diagnosis was correct.

Then......

I went into Lloyds to collect some medication and noticed their advertisements for diabetes checks and decided to ask them to test me. This was in the morning and I had drunk a couple of milky coffees and eaten an apple. They ask all the usual questions about family history, health problems, exercise, diet etc and also checked BP, weight etc. Then the finger prick test. 5.0 'No you are not diabetic Mrs P nothing to worry about'.

Am I being dense and overlooking something or are Lloyds at fault for testing and giving the all clear when clearly I am not.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Janiept said:
Ok, so about a year ago I had a few problems with my eyes and during the consultation with opthalmologist he asked for blood tests.
My results showed Hba1c was just under 8 and I was therefore diagnosed as diabetic.

I have a major problem trusting GPs and decided to decline further treatment for diabetes. I have been checking Bg levels regularly though and using information from this brilliant site for monitoring etc. My usual post prandial readings are between 6-7.5 so I think I can assume that the diabetes diagnosis was correct.

Then......

I went into Lloyds to collect some medication and noticed their advertisements for diabetes checks and decided to ask them to test me. This was in the morning and I had drunk a couple of milky coffees and eaten an apple. They ask all the usual questions about family history, health problems, exercise, diet etc and also checked BP, weight etc. Then the finger prick test. 5.0 'No you are not diabetic Mrs P nothing to worry about'.

Am I being dense and overlooking something or are Lloyds at fault for testing and giving the all clear when clearly I am not.

Type 2 diabetics can quite easily read 5 on a finger prick test. It depends on when you ate, what you ate etc. Lloyds judged you on a speculative finger prick blood test which is not the ideal way of doing it.

Again your post prandial readings are not out of spec and, in my view, do not confirm diabetes.

Your Hba1c does seem to suggest diabetes.

Janiept

Expert
I think one of the things that concerned me about this was that I am fortunate that I have had an official diagnosis whereas others may go in and, like me, receive diagnosis on a finger prick test which is wrong, giving false reassurance. Dangerous methinks.

SpaceChick

I agree, it's dangerous! They should only even consider it on a fasting blood sugar, gosh someone could have just finished a litre of coke and be told they are diabetic when they are not just their body hadn't started dealing with the sugar yet, but in an hour it would be fine. :shock:

Tempted to pop down and find out what they say to me!!

I'm going for a cycle soon and will be having a low carb breakfast so I know if I go down around lunchtime I'll have a non diabetic reading.... When its just a well controlled diabetic reading in reality :lol:

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, thinking about it a random finger prick test will only be helpful if the patient happens to be out of spec at that moment. This technique is not far removed from what happened to me at the doctors surgery except that my reading was 13.

This is only taken as an indication that proper tests should be carried out before a diagnosis is made. As far as I know no-one has ever been actually diagnosed on a random test but as in your case they could miss a few.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, your post prandial readings do not show diabetes but your HBa1C does. The HBa1C is the best arbiter so you may want to go back to the surgery and ask for another Hba1C in a few months. The surgery should have suggested a review date anyway and with an Hba1C of 8 that would normally be in another 3 months as it's on the high side and the annual review would be too long. I would keep checking with the meter 2 hours after typical meals and if your reading goes above 8.5 then that would confirm diabetes as well. Do now keep an eye on your diet e.g. control carb portion sizes etc on the basis you are diabetic

Clarabella

Being a pharmacist and type 1 diabetic, I carry many random and fasting blood glucose tests in my shop every week, always advising on the results. Most pharmacists should explain the the result, normal range and endeavour to find out any contributing symptoms and medical history that's caused the customer to request a blood sugar test. Trying to get the whole picture is key to giving appropriate advice!

As we are not privy to your medical history or have the facilities to carry out thorough blood glucose testing, we always stress that this is a very basic diagnostic test to give us an immediate GUIDE as to whether there is anything significantly wrong with your blood sugar.

Furthermore I'd be interested to know if your test was carried out by a member of staff or the actual pharmacist? I would be quite worried if the pharmacist simply said 'You are not diabetic.' That seems very dismissive.

But then arguably, if you did not offer them any information with regard to your diabetic history and presented with a blood glucose reading of 5mmol/L.....that would indeed suggest that you did not need immediate medical investigation. Patient - healthcare professional relationships have to be 2 way.

As diabetics we have a far more in depth knowledge of our blood sugars than the average pharmacy counter worker right? Take the finger prick test with a pinch of salt. If you're concerned about your diabetes - put your pharmacist to better use and have a sit down chat. We're not all bad... ;-)

Janiept

Expert
No it was not the pharmacist who carried out the test but a member of staff. She seemed quite thorough and asked all the questions on the form.
No other questions were asked and the only statement made was that if the reading came in at between 5 and 6.1 then the customer was not diabetic.