Insulin and Needles having to be locked away at school

Hi

My daughter is 8 and has had type 1 for 4 years.

Her primary school have been great and very supportive, and every year she has moved up a class with a new teacher either my husband or I have provided training for them.

This year however my daughters Diabetic Nurse has been involved and is insisting her insulin and needles be locked away under key, separate from the rest of her kit. This means at lunchtime she had to go to the school office to retrieve her insulin every lunchtime and obviously at the start and end of school.

My daughter is only 8 and I think it is unfair on her and making her life just a bit more difficult having diabetes. Apparently the Diabetic Nurse has stated if the school does not adhere to this they will receive a failure under an Ofsted audit and subsequent report.

Please could anyone advise whether they have encountered this with their children's schools? I have searched the net and cannot find anything which supports this rule.

Regards
Claire

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not at school, but I know that my insulin and needles must be locked away also. I have lockable drawers in my desk so they live in there

sunday

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
I think they have to do this, but you are right it is not a good way for your daughter. Is there a chance to get an insulinpump? Then she would wear the insulin with her. Life got a lot easier for my daughter when she got her pump.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I would imagine this is done to stop any other curious children from tampering or experimenting with the kit, children can be very curious and could easily come to harm if someone should inject insulin into themselves or someone else.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Google managing medicines in schools and early years settings (sorry I don't know how to insert a link on my iPad :roll: ) you will get a gov page follow the links until you get a PDF document, it's long at 66 pages but scan through it the info you want is on the first few pages,

It isn't law as you will see but if the school policy is to lock meds away the nurse is right they will fail the ofsted if not following policy, ask for a copy of the schools medicine policy.

The document I have directed you to is a useful one for anyone who has a child in school who has any special needs

Hope I have helped, if you can't find the doc. Let me know and I will power up my old workhorse of PC and send the link.
Or maybe some kind person who is more savvy than me can post the link here :D

Carrot

Dislikes
Me, myself and I
Probably this is to stop any other curious children from tampering or experimenting with the kit. Children can be very curious and could easily come to harm. If someone should inject insulin into themselves or someone else. But of course this not the right. Did you tried to discuss and negotiate some useful for both of you?

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

When my son was first diagnosed he was on 2 injections a day and in primary school we had a spare set of everything kept in the secretary's office and an insulin pen in their fridge. He was the only child diabetic through his primary school years. When he went to Comp. there was a nurse's office and again a spare set of everything. My son would go every snack time and lunch time to check his BG's and do his insulin and any other time that he did not feel well. He was allowed to leave the class 5 mins before everyone else. The only thing he kept on him was his meter. Last year he was lucky enough to have a pump but he still did his BG checks with the nurse. This we found was very helpful cos any problems and she would ring me whilst he was with her. I could not fault the way in which James was looked after. Now he is in college he does his own thing.

Hope this has been helpful for you

:thumbup:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
There probably IS a safety issue here, but How about a meeting with the SENCO or a call to diabetes UK careline, who know the ins and outs of the legal position.
Hana

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hanadr said:
There probably IS a safety issue here, but How about a meeting with the SENCO or a call to diabetes UK careline, who know the ins and outs of the legal position.
Hana
I totally agree,

Also there is the point when a nurse is not qualified to predict or to be the judge regarding Ofsed Findings.

"Apparently the Diabetic Nurse has stated if the school does not adhere to this they will receive a failure under an Ofsted audit and subsequent report".

I think she was bang out of order in this case.

Best of luck with your child.

Kcm08

We keep my 5yr olds insulin and testing kit in a cupboard in his classroom. It is perfectly legal and ofsted acceptable to do so - BUT it needs to be in a locked box. Use one that has a combination lock for emergencies and so teachers aren't hunting for lost keys. Mine is "000" and all teachers and the school office have the code. I bought it from eBay for around £16. It means he is injected and off to lunch the same time as his friends. The nurse signed it off. Recommend it to everyone. Xx

Sezchapman

My son is 15years old and he has a spare insulin pen, with insulin in that is left at school, they do not keep a hypo pen just the tube of fast acting sugar in case of a hypo. It's a lot easier and he just goes to the office to do his injection at lunch, I just have to remember to replace insulin after 1 month, as he does not run out of insulin before the month runs out. Try this it would make life a lot more easier, I hope this helps your daughter.

tomersn

I admit that the school was right to do so, or else is unsafe for other children. But for your daughter seems a little too good. You can find school consultations to find an adequately address the problems your daughter without a threat to the safety of other friends method.