diabetes at work

kennelor

hi i have type 2 diabetes and i work 4 full days a week , shifts are 6 -3 which i managed fine, but now they have reorganised one of my shifts to 11-8 i have give it ago but it is not working out regarding regular food etc . what do i do about it, i find i am getting totally stressed out about this shift before i start it, i have an appoinment with my gp this week about. i really enjoy my job and dont want to give it up.

SpaceChick

Why is it not working out with regard to regular food? Can you not take breaks?

Do your employers know you are diabetic? If not, you must tell them as they need to make reasonable adjustments due to the equality act.

I can't see a shift pattern like that being an issue as long as you are able to take suitable breaks to eat.

Whilst my usual working day is 8-4, I occasionally have to cover events which means working an 8am-9pm shift, I make sure I take something healthy and nutritious that I can microwave for lunch and tea and have not had a problem. My employers know that I am diabetic and are more than happy for me to take a lunch break at 12 and then another meal break at around 4.30/5ish.

tettenhall boy

Hello, my employers are aware I am type 1 diabetic and have blood clotting issues.

I start about 0930-1000 where everyone else starts 0830-0900.

My line manager says as long as I do the time, it doesn't matter. I have a break for however long and as often as I want. I don't see a problem if you are up front and honest. I don't see why you are asking us before asking your manager. It seems a little bit silly. I really don't mean to offend. All the very best and hope you can have a sensible dicussion with someone who can actually have an impact on your work patterns.

M.

rogbert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
winter
hi
i discovered i had diabetes when i was working for a govt department at an airport doing shift work im sure this is why i have the ailment. whom i worked for were very good two others had the same problem i was able to inject in the workface the only problem i had was driving on the tarmac airside , however they helped me with this. i retired 8 years ago thank you HM customs and Excise. :D

sanchia07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have worked shifts for 7yrs 12hr shifts 2 days and straight to 2 nights and its never been an issue! Your entitled to breaks so take them, eat sensibly and adjust insulin accordingly. Diabetes doesn't control my life! I try my best to control it.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I hope OP comes back and tells us what the difficulties are for that one shift.. Whether its set break times, canteen opening hours or injecting self or testing?
Very hard to help the OP until more details given, although I believe huge insight will be gained that others have found ways to cope and will be able to suggest ways to help

oldbiddy53

I worked in a call centre for near 16yrs. Even though aware that I was diabetic t2 no allowances were made to regulate my breaks. It was pointed out to me that I would have to fit in with the computers decision when my meal breaks would be. To this end I would set off to work at 7am arriving for shift at 8.30am a break could be some days 9.30 another 10.45 lunch could vary from 12-2.30 I would finish some days at 4.30 and arrive home at around 6pm.

Should the company decide that the breaks should be changed I would have no choice - food machines were poorly stocked - or not stocked at all - if your breaks did not fit into the meal delivery slots (outside orders) I would have to wait till the afternoon break to eat. At the same time 'mates' of the team managers would be allowed to go to the canteen in large numbers to eat their curries etc....

I was discouraged from eating at the desk as it was against the rules and resorted to hiding food in my drawer or eating chocolate snacks - and you may possibly say I should take meals - hot rooms no fridges etc.

tettenhall boy

I can think of better things to eat than chocolate and snacks as a diebetic. I rarely eat chocolate, maybe the odd mars bar once a fortnight or so as a treat. Fruit, though it does contain natural sugar, is so much better for you.

Your employer sounds like a tosser, by the way. How come they have it in for you, has it always been this way?

I had a new boss once who took an instant dislike to me. He was on my case all the time. You're entitled to short breaks by law, eg: comfort breaks, refreshments, etc. If not then your company is barbaric, yet you say others go in large groups. Why not join them? If you're not allowed, then you have a case for discrimination, harsh as that may soundam your boss would be in a pickle if he says "you guys carry on ahead, the diabetic, get back to your desk" as you will need regular food intake more than the non-diabetics. As the mantra stipulates, "little and often"

Good luck there, pal. :). (Sock it to 'em and please feedback any outcomes to the group as this is a highly important issue that could affect a lot of people on here)

MW