Anyone out there around 20ish?

Dislikes
hospitals, cherries, my nite time insulin....
Heya...been diagnosed lik 2 yrs ago...and still feel soo young to hve this...anyone out there feelin kinda the same..soo hard to get ppl tht understand the whole bein 20 and having diabetes...fanks Nicola :D

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Nicola,welcome to the forum.
Well, I was diagnosed T1 at age 18 too, so I know it's tough for you. Mind you, for me that was a while ago now but your big advantage is that you have places like this to get first hand advice and support.
Just ask the question and we'll do our very best to help.

All the best,

fergus

Dislikes
hospitals, cherries, my nite time insulin....
Fank ya very much...i jst came across this site my accident, that shows how much interest ive been takin with the diabetes...lol

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Nicola
I'll help where I can, even with the spelling!
I'm a granny, but can remember being young.
Hana

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
i was diagnosed at 22... 24 now, 25 next month... you are not alone!

johnar

Oooh its good to hear from other young-uns. I've just turned 24, been diagnosed about 5 months now. You'll find the forum pretty handy for getting info

hails

I'm exactly the same as Stu was diagnosed at 22... 24 now, 25 next month.
It hasnt stopped me from doing ANYTHING i want, or eating anything I want!
:D

lionrampant

is 25 and had it since 9 >>

Interestingly, I seem to be able to keep going longer than my friends on nights out. Ever since I got my basal-bolus regime under control I've been last-man-standing 99% of the time. :wink:

However if anyone knows why my lower legs have given me hell on the treadmill and walking up hills ever since I was in uni, I'd appreciate it. :eek:

willogs

Hi, I am 28 and been diagnosed for 21 months. I want to have good control now so that as I get older I hope that I can reduce the amount of complications we are prone too. I have a 19 month old little boy and he gives me all the hope I need.

Natalie

Hi, I'm 21, diagnosed last Christmas at 20, I find too that most people my age have a limited understanding of diabetes and it's sometimes hard enforcing my requirements on other people, but hoping everyone'll get used to it! Get a bit sick of the "you can't eat that, you're diabetic" advice too, from people who don't really understand!
It's hard work at the moment and probably will be for a while yet, but, having an uncle who has had Type 1 from a young age too, I know that in time it'll all seem like second nature and just be a normal part of life :D

Natalie

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Beetroot, Cucumber, Radish, Prawns - and arrogant people that have no understanding of how ill you can really be without looking ill
I'm T2 - Diagnosed October this year, a litte tiny bit over 20 but have the mental age of someone who is 20 :lol: - I always say that you are as young as you feel !!

This forum has been an absolute lifesaver for me, the help and advice has been spot on - i'm sure you'll fit in here no matter how old you are.

Welcome

Jimbo

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
Like Jimbo, I may be past 20 (by erm about 14 years lol) but I still feel 18 :)

All the best xxx

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
I'm 36, but having lost the weight I now feel the same as I did at college aged 16!!

Special_K

Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster

I was diagnosed at 19 whilst applying to join the RAF and felt at the time that my plans for the future and the world around me was about to come crashing down. At 19/20 I felt I didn't deserve to be diabetic but should be out enjoying life and doing what young people do.

To be honest these days I don't see being diabetic as a disadvantage as I still live my dreams of joining the RAF by continuing what I do with the Air Cadets. I haven't let it stop me and have climed Ben Nevis, Snowdon and Scafell Pike and I am currently working towards my Mountain Leaders qualification.

I have also learned how to fly a plane and flown gliders too. At first I sturggled with control but as of late I have inadvertanly become a role model for a family friend and also one of my cadets who have been struggling to come to terms with the realisation that they too are diabetic. By telling them of my experiences and problems I faced they are learning to overcome the challenges they have faced and have found it helps talking to someone who understands

Just thought I would add my two-penneth :D

malky

Hi, am 24 was diagnosed at 20 and at the time tought it was the end of the earth cause everynes saying you need to do this you cant eat that but over time you learn to deal and that reallly you can do almost everything you had done previously, and yes alot of people at my age dont understand the ins and out of diabetes but they learn if you tell them, also the 'you cant eat that your diabetic' thing you get alot

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
hails said:
I'm exactly the same as Stu was diagnosed at 22... 24 now, 25 next month.
It hasnt stopped me from doing ANYTHING i want, or eating anything I want!
:D
Same here... i eat what ever i want and pretty much do what i want...
As long as we learn from our results it gets easier to compensate for those things we love so much and dont want to give up.