HOW MUCH FRUIT IS TOO MUCH

Frosty66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snow
This morning my blood sugar rose to 7.2 from 6.4 i did have quite a bit of fruit ie 2 kiwi fruit and 2 plums plus several grapes. But no bread or potatoes. Bacon and egg and 2 sections of canonbere cheese.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A 0.8mmol rise in bg is very good all things considered and one which which a non-diabetic would expect to see, as your a type 2 and diet controlled you have to be careful on the foods you consume, however as a rule fruits ending in ...berry tend to be lower in carbs.

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I seem to recall my XPert course saying that 15 grapes was the equivalent of a teaspoon of sugar.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
as noblehead says berries seem to be the way to go, I never eat anything but now, but I do eat quite a lot of them mainly with brekkie but if I have to stop for food and they have no salads during the day ill opt for blueberries or blackberries and eat half the pack, seems better than a mars bar, although I have read folks get spikes with strawberries so test test test :)

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
I buy the frozen packs of mixed berries. I have them with porridge, cereal or yoghurt for breakfast. I even eat them on their own. I never add any sugar or sweetener so they can be a bit sharp but I like that :)

Frosty66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snow
Today im really getting into this. My idea of a 50gm serving is very naughty so out come the weight watchers scales.
Blood sugars before breakfast 5.5
Bp 137/79
Pulse 50
50gms granola
Skimmed milk
8 rasberrys
Cup of coffee with skimmed milk.
Wait 2hrs and repeat test.
Now lets wait and see;)

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

I read your comment on portion sizes
I recommend the book Carbs and Cals to lots of people. It shows you portion sizes on a plate (along with weight) and the grams of carb, fibre fat etc along with calories.

If you look at Amazon it has a 'look Inside feature' so you can see some sample pages.

I have found it very useful.

Cara

Frosty66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snow
Thanks so much i will take a look my eyes always bigger than my belly. Just till i get book could you please tell me correct size portion for cheese and meat.

Frosty66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snow
Just taken my blood sugars 2hrs after eating 50grm granola gone up too 10.1 from 5.5 is this normal or should i knock granola on the head im learning

hornplayer

Now there's a surprise.

BG - 6.9

Ate 2 apples

BG at 1hr - 7.8

BG at 2hrs - 6

- I really thought apples were going to be off the menu, especially as strawberries send my sugar so high that I don't even get to the 1 hr mark before I have to go to sleep! - Can't really explain how that feels. I don't fall asleep, I don't decide to go to sleep, I don't feel comfortable saying that I pass out, but the result is the same. I go to sleep and it is not something that is in my power to stop. - I guess I'm not alone in experiencing that??

Judging by my BG readings here, two apples aren't going to last me the 4-5 hours I need them to. Will maybe eat a piece of cheese with them tomorrow.

Love apples. I'm really pleased about this! :)

twosweet

Wow. Grapes are pure sugar.

I like a bit of fruit.

I don't spike much from one starking apple. Usually below 6.5.

I eat berries, its fine for me, but stay away from bananas.

When I go above 7.0 , I don't like it, so avoid those foods.

hornplayer

Apples appear to be lowering my blood sugar. That can't be right, can it??

My readings are all over the place at the moment. Don't know why. Morning reading was 12.6, pre lunch was 7.8. Lunch was a yellow pepper, about an ounce of cheese and an apple. Three and a half hours later, it was 5.1. - tomorrow morning will probably be up high again. It's all over the shop. :/

Joyola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As Carraway says, the calorie and carb counter books are very, I have just bought the updated version of Carbs and Cals, which has photos of portion sizes, now includes protein, fat, saturated fat and fibre in the info, as well as weight of the portion photographed, and the carb count.
It's by Cheyette and Baloloia.

justmeint

I can eat stewed rhubarb/strawberries (stevia to sweeten) with fresh cream as a treat and it does Not spike my BGL.....

I can eat one half of a small apple at lunch, spread with mixed nut butter and it does not spike my BGL... or a measured cup of blueberries....

I think the reason is that both are served with a fat and both are only small portions.

Other fruits do spike by sugars

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
Netty, do you defrost the berries before putting them in the jelly, or do you put them in still frozen ? Thanks.