Best Meal Replacement Shake?

Chrissiedc

As I'm new to posting, I may be too late to add anything of interest to this thread, but just in case it's not ... I've been doing the Visalus 90 Day Challenge since the end of April. That's two protein shakes, snacks and a proper meal each day with appropriate calorific content (I'm on 1370 calories per day) plus of course water. In that time I have managed to lose 20 lbs, but more importantly, I've been able to halve my diabetic medications. At my last check up at the hospital I was told "just keep doing whatever it is that you're doing". So I'm thrilled with these results so far. I don't think I could cope with any of the VLC diets, and with this one it works out at approx £1.60 per shake (depending of course on what you mix with it - fruit, veg, etc), so you actually do save money in that I'm only having to buy the ingredients for one meal per day!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
:)

Reactions: Pinkorchid

Netty70

Chrissiedc said:
As I'm new to posting, I may be too late to add anything of interest to this thread, but just in case it's not ... I've been doing the Visalus 90 Day Challenge since the end of April. That's two protein shakes, snacks and a proper meal each day with appropriate calorific content (I'm on 1370 calories per day) plus of course water. In that time I have managed to lose 20 lbs, but more importantly, I've been able to halve my diabetic medications. At my last check up at the hospital I was told "just keep doing whatever it is that you're doing". So I'm thrilled with these results so far. I don't think I could cope with any of the VLC diets, and with this one it works out at approx £1.60 per shake (depending of course on what you mix with it - fruit, veg, etc), so you actually do save money in that I'm only having to buy the ingredients for one meal per day!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
:)

Well done on the weight loss :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Cupcake01

I'm giving Nupo a go using their brick system. So it's a mix between meal replacement shakes and a controlled normal meal. I think it's great and my GP doesn't see a problem with it. You're also not "starving" yourself which I prefer.
[link removed]

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I have had a look at Slim and Save and have ordered a few of their products to try.

They are ok so far (wouldn't eat them through choice) but good value for money

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Thank you CricketLover, that is a good piece of news I am going to give it a try in September when the children go back to school and I'm going to do it until half term.

Can I ask how much you have to lose and how your BG levels are?

I will check out the shakes you use. I have an Atkins shake being delivered today but as far as I can tell it has no vitamins added, which will be ok for the odd meal replacement (when my family are having sandwiches etc) but not for my longer experiment.

Meanwhile I am low carb and exercise.

Thanks again
Cara
Tried the Atkins shakes - I have to say - yuk! (though that's just my opinion).

I did the 5:2 (last year before I was diagnosed) and the weight does come off. Its a bit easier I think knowing that you don't have to fast 2 days in a row. I think this is the reason that most people can get their head round it - if you had to do this full time it would be seriously hard!

Last edited:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a meal replacement shake sometimes when for whatever reason you do not have time for a proper meal
Oh, I know it and I sometimes do it although always watching the carbohydrate count in the replacement drink. I often use plain yogurt with a little fresh fruit or granola as a quick meal replacement also. The above report was because the poster did not have diabetes, was not interested in diabetes management and had just one post which was for a product they were promoting.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Would you be willing to try a homemade shake with avocado and some green veggies and maybe a scoop of protein powder? There are many ways to flavor avocado. Maybe add some celery, romaine lettuce, crrriander, cumin, red pepper flakes, lemon or lime juice. I imagine one shake made this way would be very filling with loads of nutrients and could be made into two meals or one and a few sips as snacks. The fat and fiber would be very satisfying a day stave off hunger.

I am very low carb and high healthy fat. I need to be in ketosis for weight to stay low. Too much protein will kick me out. Also no grains starch or dairy or I will only gain.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, I know it and I sometimes do it although always watching the carbohydrate count in the replacement drink. I often use plain yogurt with a little fresh fruit or granola as a quick meal replacement also. The above report was because the poster did not have diabetes, was not interested in diabetes management and had just one post which was for a product they were promoting.
Was not replying to that post I could see what that was. My reply was to the OP's first post about the best replacement shakes. Some people did not approve of shakes but if anyone is pushed for time to make a meal which for whatever reasons we have all found at times then there is nothing wrong with having a meal replacement shake and better than having nothing at all