ready to give I'm again!

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Okay so in a week n half I've put on nearly a stone since I've been taking my insulin I'm ready to give up on it again! It's so unfair ;(

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't give up!!

Can you give a basic idea of what you eat in a typical day? It's probably the food you're eating that's making you gain weight, not the diabetes. We can always advise, but we're not doctors.

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't eat half as much as what o used to eat...breakfast was porridge and a banana dinner was cheese and branston on Brown bread low fat yogurt an Apple n a bag of low fat crisps grapes for a snack n quorn burgers n salad for tea I do try m eat healthy but it's just not working I'm still putting on weight

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok and how much insulin have you had for that, what is your ratio? Did your BG stay level-ish throughout that?

chr1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, DONT GIVE UP

I would say firstly avoid bananas! they have about 20grams of carbs! apples are pretty high too! Instead maybe have like dessicated coconut in your porridge for flavor. For snacks eat nuts or low sugar fruits such as satsumas and melon. For lunch salad with some form a protein will keep you full and is low in carb such as cottage cheese or turkey. For dinner again pick a protein and top up with loads of veggies! I was in the same boat as you and this diet as well as exercise has lost me a couple of pounds! its slow but I am not gaining!

Top tip of all - avoid bread, rice, potatoes, pasta and cereal! :)

Good luck!

Feel free to message for a chat!
x

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, it's early days.

When you were in DKA you were very dehydrated. Now you are using insulin you are regaining water. Also your body is all out of sorts with unbalanced electrolytes. This is not fat, it is not permanent and in time things will settle down.

There is what I think is a really useful post with lots of replies from others with similar experiences
Of course, our minds flip that premise around into believing that TAKING your insulin will cause you to GAIN weight. In actuality, insulin does not cause weight gain. When you have high blood sugar and ketones, you become dehydrated and your body is unable to process food properly, thus causing weight loss, although often this weight loss is only temporary. When you bring your blood sugar back down, your body is merely restoring it's balance, which causes some bloat and water weight. However, in people with diabulimia, when we experience weight gain after injecting insulin, we often begin to view our insulin injections or boluses as injecting fat. If we believe that lie, it is going to be really hard to reach and maintain recovery........How can we fight this false idea? What can we say to remind ourselves that insulin is NOT equal to fat?
[/quote]
Please read the full post and replies especially from those who have experienced restarting using insulin and come out of the other side

http://www.wearediabetes.org/forum/thread.php?tid=37
The page explains more and has some useful ideas to help.
http://www.wearediabetes.org/relapse_prevention.php

another useful resource could be this one with 'advice on how to normalise your eating pattern, insulin regime and stablise your weight and diabetes management in a healthy, normal way.'
http://diabulimiasos.weebly.com/normal-eating.html

For support from an organisation run by others with a similar problem in the UK (the earlier forum linked to is in the US) Try these people
http://www.dwed.org.uk/
I really hope some of it's some help
And as you know, there's lots of people here who are willing to listen and support. :)

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh and I've been suffering with terrible stomach pains n bloating! Maybe I need to change my diet a little more as I thought what I was eating was okay! I'm on set doses of insulin atm 10 at night and 7 before meals!

Thanks for helping guys I might just carry on taking for a little longer and see what happens!I hate being diabetic :-(

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you ever been tested for coeliacs? You had wheat in every meal. If you're having stomach pains and bloating you could have coeliacs, or even a simple intolerance, to wheat

princesskyra

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always eaten wheat and had no problems at all until now since I've been taking my insulin?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Coeliacs and T1 often go hand in hand. Anyone could develop it at any time. If that problem persists then you should see a doctor and have it checked out. It could be one of many things!

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Hi, insulin does cause weight gain. The insulin makes you hungry then you eat more. I'm now on Byetta, I've lost 3 stone since May and I'm not hungry. I hope I never have to go back on it again!

Hii,

I've struggled with this problem, embarrassingly I stopped taking my insulin on and off for the last 3 years.. it was a cycle, I would start taking it and get freaked out by the pounds I was gaining and stop again, I was so scared that I was just going to get heavier and heavier, All I can say is stick with it because eventually it does average out and your weight will stabilise. Then you can maybe fine tune your diet some more.

I'm finding it pretty hard to lose weight too but i'm glad i've stopped gaining at least.

tizzy

Hi I did a little bit of not exactly research but looking around and I found levimir causes least weight gain lots of people on here found the same also I knew 2skinny diabeticsboth on levimir and novo rapid not exactly scientific but enough for me to request to go on them it's early days for me I put on 1/2 stone initially they said I would when bgs got better I admit before diagnosis I could eat anything and not gain weight before before that I always had to watch what I ate I am now back to watching what I eat but with this regime I can miss a meal or eat very little or a lot if I want I was told after initial weight gain I would be like anyone without diabetes if I ate cakes doughnuts etc i would gain weight oh well it was good while it lasted hope this makes sense and helps like you I am paranoid about gaining weight and sometimes take less insulin then find bgs too high