background retinopathy

andrianna1981

Hi everyone.I've just had a letter with the results of my eye test for this year and it's saying I have background retinopathy.that's 2 years in a row now I've had this.but no one has explained what it even means.should I be worried??

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance
I dont think it is any thing to be overly concerned with. As long as you attend the hospital on a regular basis, and if possible go to a good optician between your hospital appointments you should be fine. I hope this helps allay any worry :)

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Maintain the best BG control you can - preferably HbA1c below 6.5%.

Background retinopathy was observed 10 years ago & year after year. I've got better control now (low carb diet) & am clear of retinopathy.

iHs

For insulin users aiming to achieve an hba1c of 6.5% usually means having some low bg levels which may or may not require some form of fasting acting glucose type sweets or glucose tabs The only way to possibly achieve this hba1c might be to eat very low GI foods or eating a lower carb diet or possibly bolusing insulin about 20mins before eating so that the rise up in bg levels is not too high.

I always find that keeping my hba1c between 6.5 - 7.1% usually gets rid of background retinopathy and also ensures that I don't have any lows that would require me to sit down and take some glucose.

A must do is test bg levels a lot more and alter the insulin or the carb in food so that good results can be achieved.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
andrianna1981 said:
Hi everyone.I've just had a letter with the results of my eye test for this year and it's saying I have background retinopathy.that's 2 years in a row now I've had this.but no one has explained what it even means.should I be worried??

Try not to worry as they'll monitor your progress very closely to identify any changes that might occur, some diabetics develop background retinopathy and it never progresses, some however do see a progression to the point that treatment is required, good bg control, bp and cholesterol levels are important as well as eating a diet rich in fruits & vegetables, stopping smoking is a must so if you smoke it would be wise to stop.

The following site has a wealth of information about retinopathy and has some excellent advice for those who have developed the condition:

http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/index.html

andrianna1981

I was a little worried.I already carb count everything I eat.but my sugar levels can still spiral out of control at times because of the meds I take for my fibromyalgia. I really dint want to add to my problems with retinopathy to.I think I maybe try adjusting my diet again.I was doing brilliantly.eating lots of stir frys and salads but have been so tired recently that u just eat whatever is easy. Thanks for the advise.I think I need to give myself a kick up the ass.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
andrianna1981 said:
I was a little worried.I already carb count everything I eat.but my sugar levels can still spiral out of control at times because of the meds I take for my fibromyalgia. I really dint want to add to my problems with retinopathy to.I think I maybe try adjusting my diet again.I was doing brilliantly.eating lots of stir frys and salads but have been so tired recently that u just eat whatever is easy. Thanks for the advise.I think I need to give myself a kick up the ass.

I don't know a great deal about fibromyalgie tbh but have you discussed your concerns with your gp or diabetes consultant? I'm just wondering if a change in meds might help in some way at lowering your bg levels.

andrianna1981

I'm seeing my doctor next week.I've just joined another group for ppl with fibromyalgia on Facebook and have written down a list if things I want to ask.I've tried to do a little research On the meds I take and it does seem like one in particular that I take (amitriptyline)can affect sugar levels. I hate being so tired all the time to that's at the top if my list.I need to exercise to stay healthy.but it's so hard wen I can hardly move with pain and fatigue.xx

andrianna1981

Just had a look at the link you sent. I sort of understand what it is now.lol. I've been diabetic for almost 12 tears and I really didn't know Much about retinopathy till now.thanks noblehead :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
andrianna1981 said:
I'm seeing my doctor next week.I've just joined another group for ppl with fibromyalgia on Facebook and have written down a list if things I want to ask.I've tried to do a little research On the meds I take and it does seem like one in particular that I take (amitriptyline)can affect sugar levels. I hate being so tired all the time to that's at the top if my list.I need to exercise to stay healthy.but it's so hard wen I can hardly move with pain and fatigue.xx

Let me tell you something Andrianna, I was prescribed amitriptyline after a shoulder injury at work many years ago, I was spaced out and had horrible nightmares, I would wake up in my sleep dripping in sweat, once the Dr changed the prescription I was alright, never noticed it effecting bg levels mind but the exhaustion was terrible....... just wanted to sleep all the time :(

Fibromyalgie sounds like an awful condition to live and I hope you get some good advice and support on Facebook!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Try not to get too worried about it. I had it for about 3 years, only got rid of it by reducing my HbA1c by low carbing.

The only way to get rid of it is by lowering your HbA1c. Easier said than done though, eh?! Loads of good advice on here regarding that, if it's your aim.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
andrianna1981 said:

The opthalmologist who photographed my retinas explained that the images were sent to a national organisation who studies tem and sent out the letters. He said that I would get a letter saying that there had been some background changes and that I would need to be monitored next year. He said not to worry and he showed me the images. In one eye in one place there had been a bleed. He told me that, in his opinion, that was due to the period when I had high glucose levels but it was only ne spot and it was 'nothing'.

True enough, I got the standard letter, 'there have been background changes'.

The opthalmologist also pointed out a spot where an artery had slightly squashed a vein underneath. He said I must have had high blood pressure at some point, which was true. Anyway, he seemed to know his stuff and went out of his way to exlain what was going on with my eyes.

andrianna1981

My last hba1c was 7. I'm due for another soon although it may have gone up a bit this time as I was really poorly a few weeks ago with an infection and was admitted to hospital because I was dka! But I'm hoping it hasn't put my levels Off too bad. I've only been admitted once in 12 years and it was so scary.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App