Any gluten free and low carb recipes?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re: Any gluten free and low carb recipes?

Check out the diabeties.co.uk cookbook, I tend to just then make it gluten free! sausage cassorole for instance and cauli pizza. I find it reasonably easy actually because low carb tents to be around meat and veg :) if you want to share gimme a shout Aimee

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

NUTS ! While so far as I know, I am not gluten intolerant, my low carb diet transformed my health. These recipes are gluten free & low carb.

I buy coconut flour for about £4 per Kg - TRS coconut powder. It's a fine flour, not fine dessicated.

My recipe for an basic unsweetened cake is:

I sieve nut flour together & use them as flour to make in effect a smooth sponge cake - cake-bread - but without sugar.

Approx recipe:
150 g (4 oz) mixed nut flour - ground almonds & coconut flour & milled flax seeds
1 1/2 teasp baking powder
1/4 teasp xanthan gum (optional, but strengthens the final texture)
1 teasp cinnamon (good for blood glucose control ) other spices to taste
Sieve together & add the residue

50 ml olive oil
50 g butter (melted into the oil)
4-5 eggs
beat together & add to the nut flour
beat well should be dropping consistency - add another egg if its too thick

Spread out in a 250 mm (9 inch) silicone baking dish (I use silicone so there's no sticking)
Bake at 170 deg C for 15-20 minutes - or 150 for 30 mins.

Result is a sponge cake that I use instead of bread/potato/rice/pasta.
If I want sweet cake, I add sultanas and/or sweetener, cocoa powder, ripe banana, ad lib.

Warning - it doesn't keep well - keep in fridge & use in 2-3 days, or divide & freeze.

A basis for a nourishing drink is 2-3 teasp each ground almond & coconut, mix with cup soup, drinking choc, coffee, tea (fruit tea) made up with boiling water or milk. Stir before you finish as it settles. It provides about 200 kcals - as much as a cereal b'fast, without the unhealthy refined carbs.

The same sort of mix is the basis for a "porridge" which I have every day. It is much more sustaining than cereal, providing similar calories in the form of slow-digesting healthy fats & proteins.

Mezzy954

Thanks guys! Im trying to find a low carb and gluten free bread recipe but its so hard to get a decent one! Sukrin is the only bread mix out there but it's way too pricey.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

wingsofreedom

Hi Mezzy954, I'm Sarah 27 from Australia. T1D and Gluten Intolerent. Recently diagnosed. There is an Australian Website. Www.taste.com.au they have a full 125 pages of gluten free recipes, they also have a really nice good keeping bread recipe that you may like to try. Hope this helps.
Regards Sarah :)

wingsofreedom

Hi Mezzy954,
That's Awesome let me know how you go with it. And as to if you like it. Had a few people say they really like it and a couple say not so much. Me I find it really easy to make. Storing it I find is its best of you slice it and freeze otherwise it's like a brick after a couple of days. I find its really good toasted too, brings out a nutty flavour from the seeds. But I also find that they have lots of other awesome recipes too. Lots of variety and its tasty too, I hate it when foods bland an uninteresting. Just because its modified doesn't mean it has to taste awefull as like I am sure you do you like to when your going too eat, to be able to enjoy the food. I know I do.
Regards Sarah :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

Essentially Gluten is found only in grains, so any food which contains nothing of grain origin will be gluten free.
Hana

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
I am a T1 and my son has multiply food intolerance coeliac , dairy and soya intolerant, from few months old, I used a book called " cooking without' by Barbara Cousins, the recipes are free from gluten sugar dairy products yeast salt and saturated fat, also another book I use is " how to cook for food allergies" by Lucinda Bruce Gardyne. I used many of the recipes and the only drawback is because there is no preservatives they only keep for a short time, but there full of taste , look good and don t use expensive ingredient s,

KatharineShaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

I am gluten and dairy intolerant, sensitive to cured foods, bacon, ham, sausages etc, anything with sulphites and caffeine, and allergic to egg white and aspirin....

I buy small amounts of gluten free bread but don't eat a lot of it as I can't have butter, can tolerate small amounts of goats milk so have Kallo puffed rice with fruit for breakfast, more fruit or leftovers from last nights dinner for lunch, drink lots of water and rooibos tea, and basic fish, or meat veg and potatoes for dinner.

Not terribly exciting but it works for me.

I think if you're going to go gluten free, don't try to find bread substitutes, eat something different altogether, you won't miss the wheat after a while.

michelejane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
reality/celebrity tv, sport

Always hard to find the combination of both low carb and gluten-free I know! It's so unfair the number of wonderfully tasty gluten-free products which have so much sugar :cry: For a quick meal I just make ratatouille with any peppers, onions, courgette, tin of tomatoes, then either have it with a small baked potato, pasta or brown rice; if I want some carbs, and if I don't then just grated cheese! :)

Michelejane

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

Since Gluten is found in grain, try an all fresh food diet without grain or grain products like flour. If you want "ready" foods, try out your FREE FROM shelf at the supermarket.
Hana

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only

Get some inspiration from our site, all recipes low carb and gluten free - http://lowcarbhealthyfat.com/ and there will be new ones regularly, if you're looking for something special just ask in the comments. :)

Sabantha

A good low carb is zero noodles/naked noodles (not sure if gluten free but might well be) local holland & Barrett will have them! They're ideal 7carbs per pack, filling too

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness

Try low carb so simple site. The recipes are low carb AND gluten free and it has two recipes for bread and the Crispbread recipe is now one of my staples