sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
HI CAN ANYONE HELP ME I THINK I GONE OFF THE RAILS TONIGHT WITH DINNER ,
I COOKED LEAN CUBE STEAK AND CUT CHIKEN CUBES AND MARINATED IT IS A SAUCE , WHICH WAS SO YUMMY , ALSO I HAD 3 TABLESOONS OF COOKED PASTA , SALAD , AND THIS IS WHERE I WENT WRONG , I HAD A LOT OF THIS MEAT THAT I THOUGHT BEING LEAN WAS A GOOD LOW CARB , BUT THE SAUCE PACKET SAID
ROAST GARLIC, ROSEMARY AND GARDEN MINT MARINATED SAUCE
IT WAS A 64G PACKET
PER 100G
ENERGY KL=613
ENERGY KC AL = 146
PROTEIN =1,7G
(((CARB 30.01G
FAT =1.75G

THIS WAS PUT IN THE MEAT ANS SHARED BETWEEN 3 , BECAUSE I DONT KNOW HOW ALL THIS READS AND HAVE BEEN ON A LOW CAL DIET AS IM OVERWEIGHT 17ST, ITS WORRIED ME WITH THE CARBS IN THIS SAUCE ? ALSO I DONT KNOW WHAT I AM ALLOWED A DAY , CARBS , PROT, FAT, SUG, ECT ,I AM A TYPE 2 DIABETIC.
CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT AS TO WEATHER THIS IS VERY HIGH IN CARBS THE SAUCE ,,,,,,,,,,
ALSO 190G JAR OF PESTO SAUCE , I USED I USED 2 TEASPOONS FROM IT
THANKS A LOT GUYS , IVE BEEN OK FOR A WEEK BUT I THINK IM GOING OFF THE RAILS A BIT AND IM WORRYING ABOUT IT ,

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Re: NEW DIABETIC GONE OFF THE RAILS STRUGGLING

:) dont panic

this is quite high in carbs but not a problem as a one off, and not a problem at all unless you are very low carbing, the amount you eat depends on what your meter tells you, ie what the level of carbs you eat do to your bg levels, its a long term thing, one high carb meal will not do much apart from a temporary spike

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

and in my opinion the meat dosent have to be lean, if your very low carbing you need fat for energy to replace the energy you used to get from the carbs, protein is fine too, but im making assumptions :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

i ate half a cow for dinner and there wasnt anything lean about it lol yum

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

Have a look at the book ''Carbs and Cals" - it has photographs of portion sizes and and gives calories, carbs, fibre and fat. Very useful.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

LOL HAHHA ANDY HALF A COW .................

IM WORRYING ABOUT WHAT TO EAT , WHAT CAN I EAT AND WHAT CANT I EAT , I KNOW ABOUT SUGARY FOODS A NONO ,

I KNOW ABOUT STARCHY FOODS BREAD PASTA ECT ,,, BUT IN SMALL PORTION IS OK

FRUIT IM EATING A LOT OF ,

I HAVE A METER , BUT HOW DO I KNOW IF THE FOOD IM EATING , IS MAKING MY SUGAR STAY HIGH , DOES IT MEAN ,

FOR INSTANCE :....... I HAVE BEEN TAKING MY BGLEVELS BEFORE FOOD AND IT IS 5.8 THEN 2 HOURS AFTER FOOD ITS 7.7,,,,, BUT SOMETIMES AFTER FOOD IT IS LOWER , THE FOODS THAT ARE TAKING THE LONGEST TO COME DOWN IS THAT THE FOOD I NEED TO CUT OUT????

I CANT GO TO THE SHOPS AND READ THE BACKS OF THE LABELS AS I DONT KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN ,,,, THIS IS WHY IM ASKING IF A LOW CARB DIET WHICH I AM TRYING TO DO ,,, DOES IT ONLY ALLOW 30 G OF CARBS A DAY

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

SO IS WHAT I EATEN TONIGHT HI DUE TO THE MARINATED SAUCE ,???? IF I HAD NOT OF HAD THE MARINATED SAUCE , WOULD THAT DINNER HAVE BEEN A GOOD SOURCE OF DIET ,
MEAT SALAD AND 3 TBSP PASTA?

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

SO AM I RIGHT IN SAYING ,,,,, THAT FOR EXAMPLE WHAT I EATEN TONIGHT WITH THE MARINATED SAUCE , 2 HORS LATER WHEN I TAKE MY READINGS IT MIGHT STATE 12.1 ??? WHAT IF 2 HOURS LATER IT COMES DOWN TO 5.5 ? THIS MEANS ITS OK FOR ME TO EAT ,

IS THIS HOW YOU WORK OUT WHAT TO EAT AND WHAT NOT TO EAT , WITH YOUR GLUCOSE MONITORING METERE

LesleyAnne2

I don't worry about fat content of sauces, but I dont buy anything that is more than 5% carbs.. i.e. 5grms per 100 grms.
Meat is good, if you are trying to cut back on carbs then you need to add some fat.. besides your body needs fat to function - it can't heal you without the right tools.
Good luck in working out what suits you - it took me a while but I am now happily low carb :)
LA

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

ok the problem with carbs is everyone can tolerate different amounts, ie if you eat something and your bg goes up under less than 2 then thats generally considered ok but the less the better, the amount you eat a day comes down to how many you can eat before your bg goes up too much, i eat abvout 30g a day because any more gives me worse control for example if i eat 2 slices of wholewheat toast before i eat it my bg will be say 5 then afterwards me bg would be 9 and stay there for 4 hours+ so.....i dont eat bread :) and voila, reading labels for me is just looking at 1 number, the carbs i dont even look at anything else, i dont care about calories or fat or any of the other stuff so its easy, pasta is bad in general although the brown types tend to be better in fact low GI foods tend to be better then high GI its simple to do a google search as to which foods are high GI and which are low, portion size is also important if your trying to lose weight, basically try not to get too hungry or too full, your background bg should also get lower if your eating low carb and if possible doing exercise, without exercise im in the 8`s and 9`s regardless of food but with it in 5`s, tonight i ate 2 steaks (yes 2) and mushrooms all fried in ghee then 2 sugar free jellys with double cream and i tested my bg it was 4.7 two hours later (dunno what it started at) so i know that i can eat that without worrying about bg and as i have eaten that many times with similar effect i dont really need to test that meal any more (i did tonight because i opened a new pot of strips and not testing would be like opening a new jar of coffee without making a drink) so basically after a while you will learn which foods work for you and which dont, i have lost alot of weight not worrying about calories and fat so thats why i say not to worry, im sure others would disagree but thats what worked for me, it all takes time to figure out so dont worry if you make mistakes, its not like you ate 2 big mac meals chased down with 5 doughnuts :) (we wished huh)

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

HAAHAHAH ANDY WELL AT LEAST YOUR MAKING ME LAFF HERE I BEEN CRYING ALL DAY LOLOL

WELL I AM 54 LOADS OF WEIGHT IM 17ST , I USED TO EAT RUBBISH FOOD , COKE, CHOCLATE , BISCUITS , ECT ......AND SINCE THE SHOCK OF DIABETIES ITS WOKE ME UP , I CANT ESCERSCIE A LOT DUE TO LOWER BACK PROBLEMS ,

SO I THINK I KNOW WHAT YOUR SAYING NOW ,,,, FROM WHAT I HAVE EATEN TONIGHT , WHEN I TAKE MY BLOOD IN AN HOUR AND IT SATES 5.5 THEN I KNOW I CAN EAT THAT MEAL AGAINWITH NO WORRIED ,,,,

I KNOW BROWN BREAD STAYS IN ME A LONG TIME I START OFF 5.8 2 HOURS LATER ITS STILL 7.7 SO I KNOW NOT TO EAT A LOT OF BREAD ALTHO I ONLY HAVE 2 FOR MY BREAKFAST , IM GOING TO GO BACK TO WEETABIX ,

THANK ANDY YOU HELPED ME OUT A LOT THERE, I APPRECIATE IT ,, I MIGHT TRY A WHOLE COW TOMMORROW HAHHAH :crazy:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

weetabix :shock: :shock: :shock:

test, weetabix is on my poison list, it was my favourite before dx so test, ive heard folks say they tolerate it but i cant

best of luck, and do me a favour turn off caps lock lol its giving me a headache, or if your sight is bad say so ill turn mine on hehe

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Your packet of sauce was 64g, it had 30.01G of carb per hundred grams which you shared between 3 people.
.64 x 30.01 = 19.2
19.2 divided by 3 =6.4
Each portion had approx. 6.4 g of carbohydrates.
1 flat tablespoon ie 30g of cooked pasta has about 10g of carb so 3 has about 30g
so total carbs (assuming no other veg) was 36.4g.
Heres a simple table of that shows portions of food containing 10g carb. It might help you.
http://www.essexequip.nhs.uk/images/fil ... 0Sheet.pdf

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

andy ok lol caps off just 4 u @))
and thanks u been a great help to me :thumbup:

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

phoenix......... wow that is a lot of carbs I had then I thought u are onlt allowed 30 a day carbs

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

ok I just took my blood it is 7.1 2 and a half hours later before food it was 5.3 so is it taking time to come down ?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

no your allowed what you can have without it causing massive spikes, theres not a number that suits you until you figure it out, some folks 20 some folks 200, its personal

at 2 hours the blood test shows you how well you are dealing with the meal, to be honest that number dosent sound too bad, just to confuse matters fat slows down carb digestion so putting different food combinations together will change things, its a mine field and takes a long time to get to grips with, did for me anyway :)

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

im really thick andy I don't understand ,,,, im not on any meds im just a diet control one for now ,,,

so I can eat anything , as long as it is within the diabetic range = 4 to 7 brfore food

and under 8 after food ,,

other than that I need to loose a lot of weight so I am best of to eat low carbs ,,,

elaine77

The problem is that everyone reacts to different foods so differently! For example, everyone says avoid sugar more than anything but actually I deal with sugar better than carby carbs... For example I can have a small portion of ice cream and stay around 6-7mmol and if I have a mars bar I get 9.8mmol (these were experiments I don't make a habit or eating them! Lol) but then if I have a small portion of chips BAM I get a 14.4mmol! Same with Weetabix, I can tolerate them fine if I eat them in a morning but I'm about 1.5mmol higher if I eat them in the afternoon?? Very weird! So the only thing u can do is to experiment and anything that raises ur BS by more than 2mmol afte two hours is probably best avoided or at least restricted :)

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.