Almond Flour

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been looking at the new Recipe Book this site has provided us and I notice low carb pastry and cakes made with Almond Flour. I have never seen this anywhere , only ground almonds which is not the same. Can someone pleasse tell me where I can find Almond flour.
Thanks

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ground almonds are the same as almond flour. Almond flour is what they call it in the US.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
))Denise(( said:
Ground almonds are the same as almond flour. Almond flour is what they call it in the US.

Thanks - did wonder if that was the case but was floored by the fact that one recipe said ground almonds!!

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you tried to grind the ground almonds further to make them finer, you would end up with almond butter (similar to peanut butter).

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They don't have much taste- more a taste of marzipan

Stormylady

Ugh, that's me out then, I can't stand marzipan :? I have a special Christmas cake made at the baker's without it. Does anyone know if there is anything I could substitute the Almond flour with? :?:

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If it is any use to you when I want to coat things for frying I use high protein gram flour rather than ordinary flour or breadcrumbs. That's the flour that they make onion bhajis with. Wouldn't use it in a cake though as it does have a slight taste

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I bought almond flour and tried some of the recipes to make 'cakes' and 'breads' when I was first diagnosed, but I have to say I really didn't like the taste or texture, they made me feel sick and I ended up throwing them all away to the birds. I've learned to do without ordinary cakes, I just don't even think about them any more.

Having said that, last weekend, I was visiting a vegetarian friend with a sweet tooth and looking for something to take with me in the food line and I found some Brioche with chocolate chips in Morrisons. They were only 7.2g carbs each ... I usually don't buy anything that's above 7g carbs per portion ... but I made an exception and I ate two brioche during the evening as part of my evening meal and I had no adverse effects on my BS. So they'll replace cakes in my life when I fancy something a bit sweet for a change, which really isn't very often these days. :)

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I want something sweet I have a bite ofa Nature's Plus Energy Bar which are "diabetic friendly" low GI. I first tried them from my local health food shop but they are expensive at £2.60 a bar. I now buy them in bulk - 12 in a box from Monster Supplements at about £1.50 a bar. have tried most of the flavours now but my favourite is the Acai berry bar, covered in chocolate.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I rarely eat cake but sometimes make these http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/reci ... e-traybake

I don't put the pecans in, use a high cocoa content plain chocolate and add orange essence. They taste very chocolatey and don't taste of nuts or marzipan. I haven't tried replacing the sugar with sweetener, but you could. They are not too carby either.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I bake with ground almonds every week. I've fine tuned a muffin recipe and make almond flour bread in a bread maker. It does take a bit of getting used to, but I can't live without the bread anymore.

Makes very good pancakes too!

Fallenstar

Hi Stormy Lady :D you could try coconut flour this bakes up really well, but to be honest I'm not a fan of coconut and found it a bit obtrusive in my cakes but you may get on with it...nice and low carb.

I really missed my mince pies this Christmas so made my own, they were lovely and it was the first time I made almond flour pastry and I even made my own lower carb mince meat. I only needed a unit of insulin for 3 of them !

MINCE MEAT

xylitol to taste

sultanas

Raisins

Currants

apple

Finley shredded orange peel

Pork Tallow

Tspn rice flour

cinnamon, cloves, coriander, Dill, fennel, Ginger, nutmeg......all to taste, simmer together until soft.

PASTRY
1 1/2 cups of ground almonds

1/2 cup xylitol

3 TBL spoons chilled butter

2 TBL spoons Fresh Cream

Tspn vanilla bean paste

mix into dough, chill for 15 mins before handling.

Use cornflour for dusting to roll out.

fill with mince meat and bake for 15/20 mins till golden brown 170 C/350F. They were delicious, crispy and chewy in the middle. Can't leave them alone. Good job they were low carb :lol:

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
SamJB what is your bread recipe please, ive just got a breadmaker and am experimenting with different recipes.

Thanks

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stormylady said:
Ugh, that's me out then, I can't stand marzipan :? I have a special Christmas cake made at the baker's without it. Does anyone know if there is anything I could substitute the Almond flour with? :?:

try coconut flour, but you need to add more liquid to the mix as it soaks up more...

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lenny,
I use cups as a measure as its easier and faster than weighing. One cup is about 230ml. Follow the instructions for the order of wet/dry ingredients as given by your bread maker manufacturer.

I use wheat gluten. This is the protein in wheat that gives it elasticity and means you can use yeast and us fairly low in carb. I can't buy it locally so order it from online. I'm still playing around with the quantity of water, so use your judgment as to how wet it is!

2 cups almond flour
0.5 cups golden flax seed
1 cup wheat bran
1 cup wheat gluten
1.75 cup water
2 tsp sugar (will be used by the yeast)
0.5 tsp salt (or to taste)
7g sachet fast acting yeast

It depends how thick you have the slice, but I'd say there's around 6g carbs in each.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that link. They have some wonderful products especially the 100% chocolate buttons. Have only found these in Singapore up to now and then in only in 100g packs!!