Just diagnosed

Jade12

Hi all. I was diagnosed on August 28, 2013. It was a huge shook. I'm still reeling from it all. While family was supportive in the beginning they now feel I should be over it all and back to myself. I'm not. I don't know if I ever will be again. My last visit to a second doctor for help in regulating my blood sugar was a nightmare. I won't go into that except to say he increased my 500 mg of metformin to 1000 mg twice a day. He told me to eat only protein and vegetables. No fruit. I'm doing this and I'm starving. My stomach hurts all the time. I'm hungry. I never liked vegetables all that much and I have to force them down. Still my blood sugar stays in the mid to high 200s. I can't talk to my family members anymore about my feelings. My sister called yesterday to see how I was doing and she happened to catch me during a time I was feeling really down; she started the conversation off by telling me about the delicious scone she had for breakfast and all the other delicious pastries that were brought into her office that morning. That didn't help my mood any since I was starving at the time. She rattled on for a bit about all the good news in her life and suddenly noticed I wasn't saying much except the requiste "that's good" and asked if I was depressed to which I said "I don't know, maybe" to which she said "Well, I got to go". Guess I'll have to get good at pretending to feel good when I don't.

Guess what I'd like to know from some of you who are eating only protein and vegetables and on metformin is how do you do it. I'm at the point where I don't want to look at food which I used to love. My options are so limited. And it doesn't seem to matter if I stick to the meat/vegetable diet either as my sugar is still in the 200s. I'm dreading the big family holidays that will be upcoming in a few months to the point where I don't even want to be a part of them.

I apologize in advance if this post is too depressing. If you all tell me that it is, I will refain from posting again until I feel better. Thank you in advance to any who read this post.

Diabetes can lead to depression or feelings of sadness when you are first diagnosed or if your control is not doing so well despite everything you are trying to do. I think the keys are to find out is much as you can so that you can treat diabetes better than your doctor. It is also really important to find a doc you like, listens to you and validates what is going on with you. I have also written about how you can get more out of your time with your doctor. Let me know what you think if you check it out.
Pat
Diabetes Plan

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi welcome :)

hey! we are or have been where you are now! you are amongst friends here who know what your going through, it sucks and no one else gets it, it is depressing we didnt ask for this, its not your fault and it isnt fair, my family where the same, very supportive then they get bored as this isnt like a broken leg where you have a plaster cast and crutches, its invisible and outwardly we are the same, the doctor kinda gave you good advice with regard to the food, carbs are our enemy, bread, rice, pasta and potatoes, this on the other hand means we get to have fry ups on a regular, eat huge steaks, eat fish until we grow gills and double cream until it comes out of our ears, we learn how to make veg tasty, yes i said tasty not boiled to baby food in a pot, ii hated veg with a passion forever now i love it because i cook it right, salads are not just lettuce and cucumber, they are wonderfully tasty when done right with 20 different ingredients, and lets not forget sugar free jellies (my addiction) ok i know im sugar coating this (excuse the pun) but you will learn with a little research it isnt as bad as it seems now, these are your darkest days which by definition means there are brighter days ahead, there are a zillion low carb dessert recipes on the net and this forum that you can play around with, these always make me feel better at the weekend when i rustle up something and stuff my face with them, try to think positively and talk to your family about how you feel, if you dont fancy that you can come here and tell us, sounds daft but your saying you wont post if this is too depressing is completely wrong the more depressing the better lol, people reading this that maybe dont want to post will see that they who are probly feeling the same are not alone and that in itself makes us feel better, i spend time here because the folks here apart from helping me with technical issues about what im going through, help me to feel like i am amongst people that totally understand the daily struggle of what we have to put up with, and this never helped me at all but there ARE always people which much worse conditions than diabetes, my child spends alot of time in great ormand street and too see these poor kids with terrible things really brings that home, anyway ill stop rambling and wish you all the very best and hope to see you post again very soon with any questions that come up or just to tell us how your feeling, good or bad :) keep dooing he right things are your bloods will behave im sure, it just takes time is all :)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hey jade welcome,

It is normal to feel how you are with your recent diagnosis. Things will get better as you learn how to control your sugars. Certainly won't help having sustained highs. Probably the majority of diabetics feel this way at first. I did. Definately know what you mean when friends and family think, ok, you've been diagnosed, got meds all sorted now and no problems. Wish it was that easy. Remember its early days and will be an adjustment period to not only get your meds right but also for your body to adjust to new meds and lower sugars as they would of probably been higher previous. Plenty of advice and help here. Anytime you need a moan or just some advice lots of people here to help. Hope u feel better soon

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App