Pedicures

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone...this is my first post. Was diagnosed on 10th June and I'm slowly trying to get my head round everything. My question today is about feet. I have really hard skin around my heels and on the balls of my feet. This is more than likely due to the fact that I wear flip flops most of the year...even in the rain. I strongly dislike the feeling of my feet being enclosed. Should I change this...!? And also, I'm aware that I know need to look after my feet, am I ok to get a pedicure to try and alleviate the hard skin!?

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

jake60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
RainbowBrite said:
Hi everyone...this is my first post. Was diagnosed on 10th June and I'm slowly trying to get my head round everything. My question today is about feet. I have really hard skin around my heels and on the balls of my feet. This is more than likely due to the fact that I wear flip flops most of the year...even in the rain. I strongly dislike the feeling of my feet being enclosed. Should I change this...!? And also, I'm aware that I know need to look after my feet, am I ok to get a pedicure to try and alleviate the hard skin!?

Would you by any chance be the rainbow bright who had a telefunken u47 a couple of years back?

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Errrr....nope, fairly sure that wasn't me :)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I had similar issues with cracked heels and hard dry skin. I pay to see a foot lady every 3 months or so and it's a great feeling walkin out. I pay £25 a time but well worth it. I also love to wear flip flops so may be a common cause lol ! You get a free annual foot check by your doc but my feet are so much better now ! I also get a very nice foot moisturiser on prescription now as well.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jake60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
RainbowBrite said:
Errrr....nope, fairly sure that wasn't me :)

Ahhh ... sorry RB I posted alongside someone for a number of years with the same monika.

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for that....seems I'll have to book myself in somewhere :) I really don't like having my feet touched but guess I need to get over that now that I need to be looking after them :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Rainbow,
Since the title" chiropodist" is not legally protected, anyone can call themselves one "Podiatrist" is protected and it's an offence to call yourself one if you aren't qualified and registered.
Make sure anyone who does your feet is proprerly qualified and explain you are diabetic.
then keep you blood glucose as near normal [4.5 -6.0] as you can and you shouldn't have problems.
If you have a medical need for podiatry, you can refer yourself to your hospital podiatry service.
Hana

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people
Before I was diagnosed (Type 1) I always walked around with nothing on my feet, even outside come rain or shine or snow!! I now wear closed in sandals since having a real telling off from my DN and family. It took me ages to get used to it even now I will kick off my shoes when I can !! As they say - look after your feet !!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
mo1905 said:
I had similar issues with cracked heels and hard dry skin. I pay to see a foot lady every 3 months or so and it's a great feeling walkin out. I pay £25 a time but well worth it. I also love to wear flip flops so may be a common cause lol ! You get a free annual foot check by your doc but my feet are so much better now ! I also get a very nice foot moisturiser on prescription now as well.

Hi mo1905 .

What moisturiser on prescription do you have and use ?

I usually use Diprobase emollient cream but could do to change possibly to Flexitol Balm .
I am wondering whether I could get this on prescription? [500ml pump container ]

As both my toots and heels are drier with this hot weather!

Anna .

RainbowBrite

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for your responses. I'll take a look at the podiatry services local to me and get my feet looked at. I'm not having my official check through my GP until September :-?

judithamilton

Ever since diagnosis I've just moisturised my feet every day/evening before putting socks on. Any mosturiser/cream/oil that comes to hand. Brilliant results - no hard/cracked skin ever. However, I'm just about to have a hip replacement and won't be able to reach below my knees for at least 6 weeks. Any ideas about how I can apply the moisturiser?

Fraddycat

I soak my feet in a bowl of warm water, with a squirt of baby oil in it. I soak them for about 15-30 minutes and then use a Ped Egg to remove the hard skin. You can get a long handle for a Ped Egg now so you might be able to reach. After soaking be careful walking bare foot because your feet will be slippery. I don't need to moisturize my feet at all except for this treatment every 2 weeks or so.

mitsi5959

hi
use a foot file or pumice stone before or after soaking your feet and moisterise, or mosterise your feet before going to bed and ware some bed socks, you will find some salons shave the hard skin on the heels with a special blade, you need to avoid this, being diabetic or leave it for a chropodist to deal with, the paraffin treatment along with elecetric booties is an excellent treatment that salons offer.