I am on a low carb diet but blood glucose not coming down

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
im on a low carb diet , well I think I am , newly diagnosed a week , im eating lots veg ,, fruit , chiken .
but my blood sugar isn't coming down as I thought it would ,,

which is worrying me a bit , as I am diet controlled at the moment type 2 , and I don't want to go on meds, maybe the carbs that are suppose to be low are not ?
I know brown wholemeal bread doesn't do nothing for me that takes forever to come down , I amd testing my bs before I eat and 2 hours after , pls halp

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Re: i am on low carb diet but blood glucose not coming down

Hi !

I don't suppose you could post a typical days food so we can see if there's some 'Trigger' foods on there and we might be able to help.

Best

Paul

B

badcat

Some fruits and veggies are quite high carb and will spike blood sugars - it's worth spending time testing them individually when you're first diagnosed to see their individual effects

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Sandysan, :)
Are you checking your bg levels at various times which is getting your brain a wee bit confused.
You may get some advice soon with regard to the best time etc; to check your levels.,
What I am saying is if you test in the morning before meals and drinks at the same time.each day, that may give you a guide, then as normal with test that you prefer to do.
Dare I say "Rome was not built in a day"
Also be patient as your are trying and your control will win, no doubt about that.

Best of luck
Roy, :)

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I suggest you check the GI values of the carbs you do consume (lower is better) and also incorporate some post meal exercise, this works well for me at least.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi. Yes, do post some typical meals. It sounds like you are doing the right things. Bear in mind that many of us T2s can't do just diet, so meds may be necessary. See how it goes and your next HBa1C will guide you and the GP on the next best move. I had to start meds within 3 months of diagnosis; such is life.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

morning , two wholemeal brown bread ,
cup coffee n sweetners

or

2 Weetabix skimmed milk

lunch
pear, apple , orange , or 2 seseme seed dark ryvita and no butter just marmite , probably a small palm of mixed nuts ,

evening meal ,
lots of cabbage , 4 small boiled potatoes , chiken , or lean pork chop small gravy
1 yoghurt

snack , if I have on

again either fruit or 2 dry rivita

evening meals vary.................. it could be chicken and salad , toms lettuce onions same with lunch half tin baked beans and dry ryvita

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

also I take my blood before I eat food and two hours after ,,, and before bed ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I take walking exercise when I can ,,,,,,, I am a big woman of 18st buttttttttttttttttttt I have lost 10 lbs in 10 days

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty

morning , two wholemeal brown bread ,
cup coffee n sweetners

or

2 Weetabix skimmed milk

lunch
pear, apple , orange , or 2 seseme seed dark ryvita
and no butter just marmite , probably a small palm of mixed nuts ,

evening meal ,
lots of cabbage , 4 small boiled potatoes , chiken , or lean pork chop small gravy
1 yoghurt

snack , if I have on

again either fruit or 2 dry rivita

evening meals vary.................. it could be chicken and salad , toms lettuce onions same with lunch half tin baked beans and dry ryvita

The ones highlighted in red by me are the suspects and would put me well into double figures.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

oh my , im going to give up , im depressed stressed over all this ,, I thought the things you highlighted in red was a good source of no fat ,,,,,,
before I was diagnosed last week , I was eating a lot of rubbish food , chocolate bisucits coke ect ect
now I don't even like the food im eating , im not keen on fruit yet im forcing it down me , the same with veg . I really don't know what the hell to eat ,
im scared to eat fatty foods
im scared to eat dairy things ,

so im totally lost now , I don't know what to eat at all , yet the things I have been eating doctors say to eat , brown bread , fibre Weetabix , salads, fruit , veg , and everything I eat you highlighted as high :cry: :cry: :cry:

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

then what do I eat im so lost

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi. Don't panic. Your new meal plan isn't too bad, but just be aware that anything made from flour (esp white) and too much fruit makes the carbs add up. So don't ignore everything in red but just be aware and use the meter to see what affects you. Note that you don't need to worry too much about fats despite the whole media worrying about it based on shaky science in the 50s/60s. It's carbs that cause blood sugar to rise not fats & proteins and if you keep the weight down thru low-carbs (eating fat doesn't make you fat) then you're doing your circulatory system a favour anyway.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

hi
the thing is just being diagnosed diabetic , and im a big woman , lost 10lbs in 10 days , im worried to go back in three months and have the hbax1 and it says still high and they put me on tablets , I know I will maybe in the future but im trying to diet control it so it comed down when I have the hbc1a

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

if bread is that bad what is the substitute for it ,,,, I used to have white bread the dietician nurse waid eat wholemeal

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Well done Sandysan for losing 10in10 :)

Because those foods make Paul-1976 have high BS levels does not mean they will make you have high levels.

You have lost 10 lbs in ten days. you deserve a medal, well done Sandysan.

You are being to hard on yourself. Just stay with what your doing and take things gradually.

We are all going to come up with ideas what not to have. But we are all different.
Take me for instance. I am on a "vegan, no sugar diet" it works for me but I would not ask you to try it as we are in our own type of control ( and I am not even a vegan). don't worry I do cheat sometimes

Therefore I have what you have without the meat and milk, yet my bg readings are good.(no medication)

So you keep up your good work until your in the control that you want.

Roy, :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

hehe we have the same thread in 2 parts :)

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

hahaahah andy you are funny you make me smile lol

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

thats my job :) diabetes uk pays me to make people think to themselves "oh well at least im not Andy12345" its therapy :D

charon

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Try cutting out carbs as much as possible for a week or so.
Should bring down bg and start weight loss.
I go for:
Bacon/mackerel and eggs
Salad - lettuce, cucumber, spring onions, olives, feta cheese, boiled egg.
Meat/fish greens - cabbage, sprouts, onion, mushrooms, leeks.
Also exercise.

You might worry about cholesterol on this but I found it came down a lot.

You should find that hardly increases the bg after a meal and should bring down the bg and you can then start testing what you can eat.

I would say definitely no bread, potatoes, fruit while getting things under control. I can now cope with an occasionsl small potato or single slice of bread. One apple is usually ok but any more is bad. Half a banana maybe.
Blueberries and raspberries are fine - I have with double cream.

Whole meal bread isn't a lot different from white - stay away until you have things under control. I was told by my nurse to stay with whole meal but two sandwiches sent me to 15.1.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

charon

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Also decide whether you want to control bg or fat intake.
Fat got a lot of bad press but that was more to do with the food industry reliance on sugar production.
I (and a lot here) don't worry too much about fat and it seems to take care of itself. I have bacon and eggs most mornings and a lot of steak/lamb and double cream with blueberries most days and my cholesterol has come down a lot and the profile improved.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App