Low Carb Marmalade or Jam

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi Everyone, is there such a thing as Low Carb Marmalade or Jam and if so where can I buy some please, thanks

H

Hooked

Hi,

The St. Daflour brand has no added sugar and very tasty. At 56g of carb per 100g I wouldn't call it low carb, but I guess it depends on how much you use really.

Ingredients are Fruit, unsweetened fruit juice concentrates, gelling agent fruit pectin.

Hope that's of some help.

Kallyloo

The lowest sugar jam I have found is Clearspring in Ocado, or even from amazon. Look for the proper jam, it is a proper jam made with kerrageen, they do cherry, strawberry Rasberry, apricot, marmalade and blueberry.
The carbs For the strawberry jam are 36.7 g per hundred grams, compared to 56g for St Dalfour. It is Expensive but there is an alternative jam called meridian that You can buy from Holland and Barrett that is almost as low in carbs and sugar.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Kallyloo said:
The lowest sugar jam I have found is Clearspring in Ocado, or even from amazon. Look for the proper jam, it is a proper jam made with kerrageen, they do cherry, strawberry Rasberry, apricot, marmalade and blueberry.
The carbs For the strawberry jam are 36.7 g per hundred grams, compared to 56g do St Dalfour. It is Expensive but there is an alternative jam called meridian that You can buy from Holland and Barrett that is almost as low in carbs and sugar.

That's interesting,I'll have to look out for that next time I go to H&B as it could be useful next time I make an Almond flour cake. :D

Kallyloo

The reviews on the Holland and Barrett website seems to be very positive on flavour, it will be a little runnier on hot things like toast or porridge.
Personally I like the wild Blueberry but again that's a personal taste.

B

badcat

There are loads of sites with recipes for making low carb jam using chia seeds rather than jam sugar to provide the pectin and then either no suger or a diabetic friendly sweetener if required
Havnt tried them yet but have used milled chia seeds elsewhere in my diet to boost fibre and good fats

Here's one example - I like the name of the blog as well as the look of the jam!

http://www.lifelessbullshit.com/blackbe ... -seed-jam/

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I wouldn't think they exist in low carb forms, butLOWER carb is poswsible. Just look for reduced sugar types. they are available in loads of places. Then keep your portions small and you should be ok
Hana

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Thanks everyone. Badcat where do you get the Chia seeds from please

B

badcat

diadeb said:
Thanks everyone. Badcat where do you get the Chia seeds from please
I get them frm holland and Barrett when they are on offer ( currently but 1 get 1 1/2 price) or via amazon.
I tried making raspberry jam using them and the result was very nice

niciJones7352

Chia seeds are quite widely available now, especially as quite a lot are coming from Australia, and the are harvested at the opposite time to Mexico, so thiey aren't as seasonal as the used to be, but still demand is high.

I'm happy with these guys, I'v ebought from them twice now.

http://aboutchia.com/