lunch break

Leanne H

I work in a care home and I am type 1 diabetic I use to be able to take my lunch breaks at the same time round about every shift until recently and was told by my manager that I need to manage my diabetes around my lunch breaks which could be at different times through the day on each shift for example might not get my lunch break until maybe between 2 and 3 in the afternoon on some days. I don't think they are aloud to do that. I do 12 hour shifts and at times don't always get a chance to have my breaks.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Re: lubch break

Ask the manager what would happen if you went into a hypo while doing something critical and are they prepared to deal with the consequences. . . after all, it is their responsibility at the end of the day.

twosweet

you may need to remind them of the labour law or your contract and to just take your break when due. Take care of you first or you wont be able to take care of those around you.

charity begins at home.

Leanne H

I tried to tell her that already she just walked away. its a joke honestly
I am going to my GP on Tuesday to get a letter from him I really should not have to do that.

twosweet

Leanne that is shocking. sorry to hear that. You do need to take care of you.

I think you need to sit her down so she wont be in a position to walk away. Maybe you need to be firm and say, "I will be taking lunch at 1pm today and do it". but if you feel its too confrontational, then get a letter from the doc, but that is a shame, that you have to go to that, when it's a right and not a luxury. 12hr shifts are very long.

Diabetic Krissy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude, horrible, stuck up people.
That is not good at all! Don't work have to give you reasonable adjustments for diabetes under the disability act thingy? If you need a break to eat you should be allowed, especially with the risk of hypo's that put your life in danger? I'm not 100% but I think this is totally wrong!

Please let us know how this turns out!!

JanieMc

Under employment regs, your diabetes counts as a disability. So actually, they have to accommodate you for your lunch break. You don't have to work around them, they have to work around you. It is a strong argument that they could be putting you at risk and so therefore they are leaving themselves open to litigation.