Diagnosed Type 2 Today

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had been ill for three weeks with diarrhoa then a uti and just generally feeling ******. Had all the blood tests done to rule stuff out like Crohn's and Celiac's disease. My blood sugar was high so they did a fasting glucose test and here I am. Rang the doctors for the result this morning and the receptionist told me I was diabetic (nice!). Went in to see the doctor, we had a chat and she seems unconcerned but did recommend this site. It has taken three weeks to get to this diagnosis and now I have to wait another week to see the diabetic nurse. I am pulling my hair out with anxiety. Firstly, not knowing what it was and secondly, leaving it so long without medication and control is causing me further damage. Have spent the most of today on this site looking through everything. It seems everyone goes for the low carb diet instead of just a balanced one so I will start that tomorrow. Do you think I should buy a monitor and strips and start testing tomorrow? A week is a long time to sit and dwell and do nothing...

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi jooberloober and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. Ask all the questions you need to and someone will come along and help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

hey joob.
i was diagnosed 2 weeks ago and my diabetic nurse appointment is next week..... im tempted to buy a monitor but im going to insist i am given one next week so i can have some self control (well thats the plan)
i attempted (poorly) diet control in the first week, reduced my carb intake and swapped normal white bread for warbatons 5 seeded loaf which is super yummy.... and lost 2.5lb ! but since then ive really not done myself any favours and feel pants for it too !

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello there clarabelle! If I do buy the monitor tomorrow (I don't know how much they are, do you know?) at least I will feel like I am doing something. Have a good idea about doing the low carb thing so that won't be a problem. Its all the waiting in between appointments that has been stressing me out. I have the diagnosis now and want to be proactive but I am waiting again.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, welcome

sorry you needed to find us :)

yes indeed low carbing is popular, for me it has worked wonders, yes getting a meter is paramount, i think they cost something like 20 ish pound but the strips are very expensive, its better if you convince your doctor to prescribe them but many wont, go buy the meter and start testing before you eat then 2 hours after you've eaten, that way you will see the effect certain foods are having on your blood glucose levels, have a good read and if you have any questions please ask, try not to worry, take it slowly

best of luck

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
yes good idea, if i remember back, Tesco used to sell the kit and 10 strips for something like 20 pound but 10 more strips was thirty which was madness as it was cheaper to buy a whole new kit and throw away the new meter, i know there are some cheaper ones available on the internet but ive never done that so ill let someone else explain this :) its a really good idea to start a food diary too, very helpful, if you have a smart phone download the myfitnesspal app and start recording your food, even if you don't know what your going to do about eating yet it will be very helpful (trust me) again please ask anything you like, lots of nice folks here

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have Fitness Pal on mu Iphone already. Used it for unsuccessful weight loss attempts before the last few weeks. My eating has been all over the place for three weeks because of the ill health. On a second course of antibiotics for the uti so I have to force myself to eat, overcoming the urge not to. My daily calorific intake is pretty low. I need to ramp it up. Will start using that app again to keep track.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting a meter is a good idea but it's probably best to get a cheap one with cheaper running costs. The cheapest for running costs is, I think, the SD Codefree. It reads a little high but all you are concerned with at the beginning is comparing the effects that different foods have on your levels. The Nexus Glucorx is ok, reads the same as my Accu Chek but is much cheaper for test strips.

Generally, you don't need to be in as much of a hurry as you think you should be. You're not bleeding to death and most diabetics have their conditions undiagnosed for ages, if in fact they ever do get it diagnosed. You'll also need to take time to experiment with different foods, to see which ones suit you best and it takes time anyway for all the changes in lifestyle to take effect. So, don't worry. Read about foods, ask questions, try them out, then try smaller portions of the same, try cooking them differently, try new foods and so on and so on. You should, over a period of months, be heading off in the direction of lower readings, though they will still be up and down.

Don't worry about not being on medication. Many of us here refused medication when it was offered, preferring diet and exercise. If your readings are so high that your GP thinks you need them, he will tell you. They often prescribe simply because they have heard all the good intentions about taking more exercise and losing weight before. They know most people don't stick with the plan. But, if you can eat better and be more active, you will see better results.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Yorksman, useful info about the monitors. I do feel I want to get on with it because I feel so ****** but these things take time as I have found out. Wouldn't mind a short course of anti depressants to pick me up. I have never felt so low in my life at I do today...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Once you get a meter you will find strips are cheaper on the web and some suppliers provide them less VAT as diabetics don't need to pay VAT on meds. The reason for going for low-carbing is that diabetics have a problem handling carbs i.e. the body leaves the converted glucose in the blood and reducing carbs helps reduce the sugars. Diet and exercise will often bring T2's sugar down to near normal but sometimes meds are needed as well. You surgery will give you an HBa1C blood test probably after 3 months and then annually which will tell them and you whether meds need adding

RizlaUK

Give these people a ring: http://www.glucomen.co.uk/index.php?p=138

I was given this advice on here 2 weeks ago. They will send you a FREE meter (a good one) Ask for the LX Plus as it's the latest.

You will get it by Tuesday / Wednesday at no cost. Then get your Dr to prescribe the stips. Tel number is on their site. (0800 243 667)
Monday - Friday

Tell them you testing at least 6-8 times per day

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jooberloober,

Welcome to the forum.
I had a UTI when I was first diagnosed, and I felt horrible (no energy, nauseous constantly, headachey, and just low). The antibiotics (had 2 courses too) made me feel worse, but I didn't realise it until I'd finish the course and started to feel much better.
Hopefully it will be the same for you, and in a week or so you'll start to feel more human again!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi luceeloo! Yes, it sounds like we have had the same unfortunate experience. My last antibiotic tablet is tonight and taking my sample to the docs tomorrow for hopefully the all clear for the UTI. The first course of antibiotics was shocking, the second set (trimethoprim) weren't as bad but still made me feel awful. Forcing myself to eat food when feeling sick is the worst feeling but I gradually started eating more...then I got the diabetes diagnosis on Friday so it was even more important. I hope you are right and I start feeling like my old self again later this week...

steve_t

Hi jooberloober68
I was diagnosed with type 2 back in May with a bg count of 12 and then 14. The doctor then requested an hba1c test that came out at 82. To be fair I started reading about diabetes and the complications scared me.

I then set about changing my lifestyle working out in the small gym in our garage most nights as well as a lot of dietary changes. I've managed to reduce my weight in that time from 15st 3lb to 14st 4lb.

To my amazement and delight my 3 month hba1c just came back at 39 :D .

I don't know if I'm typical but hopefully this will give some hope that it is possible manage diabetes. And to be fair I do feel a lot better on a low carb, low GI diet.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi steve t. I have my first appointment with the diabetes nurse tomorrow and hope she can give me guidance and some answers. Been trying out a low carb diet since Friday but I worry where I am going to get my fibre from. I hope we can reach a mutually agreeable plan of action. I don't want to take tablets if I can help it. Have lost a stone over the last few weeks anyway as I have been ill previous to the diagnosis so its a start. Exercise is good in theory but I am not sure when I can fit it in, I work full time. Its all a new concept at the moment so I am going make some major adjustments. Watch this space...

johnlfitz

Hi jooberloober68,
Went through exactly the same in March this year.

Hit me really hard. So hard in fact that I was on Citalopram for anxiety and depression for 3 months or so. I hit exercise and diet so hard I became really ill, and thought I was dying.

Coming off the Citalopram now, and I've lost nearly 4 stone since March. Low carb diet and exercise has done it.

My Hba1C has gone from 55 (7.2% in old money) to 32 (5.0% in old money) since without medication like Metformin.

Just trying to say it doesn't mean things are past the point of doing something about it . . . . . . and this site is the best place for all your info.

johnlfitz

I work full time too jooberloober68 ..... but I do my home electric treadmill at night after tea (about 8pm) and sometimes I literally have to force myself onto the thing. I just keep telling myself that if I get to my ideal weight then I will have a fighting chance of keeping the diabetes under control.

18st 6lbs in late March to 14st 9lbs today means I've got a good start, but have about 3 more stone to lose before I will be happy.

I'm sure you can do it, if you put your mind to it !! :D :clap:

Md.rose

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi being Type 2 may mean you will not get a meter or test strips, It depends on your postcode and your doctor! i can recommend the Code Free meter.

I have a Code Free meter, bought it when my old Doctor retired and I had to change to a new one that implemented the NICE guidelines for type 2 diabetics. I now get one test strip a week!

So as the test strips for the Code Free meter is low compared to the other meters on the market, I bought it.

The ISO standard for the accuracy of Blood Glucose Meters is:-
Within ± 0.83 mmol/L of laboratory results at concentrations of under 4.2 mmol/L
Within ± 20% of laboratory results at concentrations of 4.2 mmol/L or more.

I have found the Code Free very consistent in results compared to the one touch ultra that I have been using (still do one day a week!)
The only issue with the code free is the finger pricker whose spring catch stopped working consistently after 2 months.
The meter itself is very good and works on a smaller blood sample compared to my other meter. So very pleased with the code free

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi John! You have done really well with the weight and exercise. I have made a positive start with a low carb diet and dragged out my WII Fit and started doing a bit. I bit the bullet and bought a monitor and strips. They are expensive aren't they? This is a good way and testing things out but it can get a little bit obsessive even with "safe meals". Was feeling very low about the diabetes and now a close relative has died unexpectedly (she was 48) so that has knocked me back a bit but I feel I am doing most of the right things. Have agreed with the nurse to lose another half a stone (lost a stone after first being ill) in the next 6 weeks and get my hba1c down. She hasn't put me on metformin yet but says she might stick me on a low dosage when I go back. I am hoping to avoid that if I can help it.