Exercise, exercise and then do some exercise!

charon

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Dommcb,
Well done for keeping things under control.
I was diagnosed t2 about the same time as you. Previously had no exercise but (when not working) a "healthy" diet of mainly carbs.
Control started when I exercised which caused a massive bg drop. Had a hip replacement and other one not too good so was very unfit so that was a brief stroll or a few minutes on the exercise bike. Now it's an hour on the bike, unfortunately, and have just bought a cheap cross trainer.
Now issue is to stop the weight loss.

Like you everything is going well and long may it continue.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a singe aren't with two boys under 5. I would love the opportunity to get out o the gym, swim etc, but when I've I shed my day job it's home to settle the its r bed and then get my isle work, waning etc one :( life isn't so easy for everyone and quite frankly posts like this make me feel more ****** and guilty than I already did!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Jaxx01 said:
I'm a singe aren't with two boys under 5. I would love the opportunity to get out o the gym, swim etc, but when I've I shed my day job it's home to settle the its r bed and then get my isle work, waning etc one :( life isn't so easy for everyone and quite frankly posts like this make me feel more ****** and guilty than I already did!!

hey you shouldnt feel ****** at all, not everyone has the time for this and it sounds like you get plenty of exercise just in daily life, and certainly no reason at all to feel guilty about anything, we do what we have to and you putting your kids before exercise isnt a reason to feel guilty its a reason to feel proud

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw thanks Andy. My doc had me in tears last week because he also mentioned exercise and although I take the boys swimming and walks weekends, I don't feel like I have any time to fit any proper exercise in :(

charon

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just do what you can. Swimming and walking sounds good.
I do some sit-ups a couple of times a day - takes under a minute.
Can also fit in some stretching type things which will help.
While doing most things you can exercise muscles - washing up / ironing are good times. Can do some strengthening exercises against a bench top while waiting for the kettle to boil.
Do you ever watch tv - good time to do some exercise at the same time.

Anyone that has a life so full that they can't fit in a few minutes is heading for a disaster as they can't cope with any mishaps - it's just a matter of priorities.

Not saying there's anything wrong with deciding that exercise isn't important for you but recognise it as a decision you are making not one that is made for you.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my main strategy for dealing with my diagnosis (6 months ago) was exercise and some weightloss. I'm pleased to say that my Hba1c results received today came in at 46, so it does appear to have worked. I'm well over 50 and didn't have much energy when I started out but I have loads now :)

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Jaxx _ I'm not surprised you cant fit it in! But getting your children active will be the best for all of you. My three children have inherited my love of a good film, snacks and a blanket on the sofa. I try to encourage them to be active.

This summer we have been out for a lot more walks but we can only do that if the weather is kind.

Have you got Wii Fit? There will be things on there suitable for little ones?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jaxx01 said:
Aw thanks Andy. My doc had me in tears last week because he also mentioned exercise and although I take the boys swimming and walks weekends, I don't feel like I have any time to fit any proper exercise in :(

Time is sadly in short supply for many people. No time to look for and buy proper food, no time to prepare it, rushed lunches, too many snacks etc etc. It's the same with exercise. There are a lot of types of exercise that are free, but you have to have the time to go for a walk and you can't do it as a single parent if the kids are in bed.

However, if you google floor exercises, you can do these at home, in your own time. Many of these exercises are concerned with women getitng their figures back but if you look long enough, you'll find things like squats, squat thrusts, burpees etc etc. They'll get you puffing and panting within a few minutes and, if you can work upto 15 mins per day, which takes some doing with these cardio vascular exercises, you'll be be doing well.

But, I accept that when you've done a day's work, travelled back home, sorted the kids with tea and got them settled down, you do need to be very highly motivated. It's not easy at all.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I suffer low back problems , I haven't walked for years , if I was to walk half way up the road I would be wacked out , since having diabeties 2 weeks into it , I try my hardest to go for a walk the first day was horrific , the second day the same , out of breath , sweting , struggling , after about 4 days I was starting to walk a bit better without any breathlessness , and I was walking faster , I can now get to the top of my hill here with no problems , before I couldn't even do it half was,
so exercise yes is good , just take it easy and slow for the first few days ,

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sandysan said:
I suffer low back problems , I haven't walked for years ,

You're in good company! In addition to that, I have osteoarthritis in my ankle. I had to find exercises which had a low impact on my ankle and back. But, before I could even do that, I had to work up to being fit enough to do the exercise which I simply was not fit enough to do at the beginning. It took me a few weeks, starting with stretching and then leg raises and squats etc. always keeping a straight back and always avoiding sudden or excessive pressure on the ankle.

When I got fit enough to climb on, I dug out my son's old bike and got one of those cycle exercisers. The pedalling action is OK on my ankle.

$(KGrHqN,!jcE9KPL!smzBPjMRIkDUQ~~60_35.JPG

To avoid any strain on my back, I got a high rise handlebar stem which allows a more upright sitting position. Later I added butterfly handlebars which provide a great deal of seating flexibility.

0_big.jpg

One day I hope to get fit enough to perhaps even take it out onto the road! For the time being, it's the radio and the garden shed. At least, it has a cosy, comforting and familiar sort of feeling.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
sandysan said:
I suffer low back problems , I haven't walked for years , if I was to walk half way up the road I would be wacked out , since having diabeties 2 weeks into it , I try my hardest to go for a walk the first day was horrific , the second day the same , out of breath , sweting , struggling , after about 4 days I was starting to walk a bit better without any breathlessness , and I was walking faster , I can now get to the top of my hill here with no problems , before I couldn't even do it half was,
so exercise yes is good , just take it easy and slow for the first few days ,

For people with health problems and limited mobility you can get exercise on prescription through the NHS, might be worth your while asking Sandysan if your eligible:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/stress-anx ... ssion.aspx

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats true in my area also, you get free fitness membership and access to classes, including low impact pool based stuff if thats what you need.

claymic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My question is about exercising before meals. Does it have same benefit on blood sugar. I think if I do exercise before and then test before meals i get higher readings. Should they then fall back after I eat?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
claymic said:
My question is about exercising before meals. Does it have same benefit on blood sugar. I think if I do exercise before and then test before meals i get higher readings. Should they then fall back after I eat?

Exercise can raise blood glucose levels even after eating. It depends on many factors including the type of exercise, how vigorous etc. For most type 2s, these short term increases are not a problem.

For most type 2s who are not strongly medicated, the benefit of exercise is to improve cardio vascular function, help lose a bit of weight, though you have to work very hard for that, and to improve your digestive metabolism.

The latter is something not often discussed but exercise, which may be a brisk walk, releases hormones which in turn trigger the production of enzymes. Some of these enzymes reduce the lipoproteins in the blood. The effect of the exercise peaks at 12 hours and tails off after 24 hours hence the advice to exercise once per day. I tend to do 2 x 15 mins. Doing more might make me 'fitter', but it won't keep on improving the digestive element. About 1500 kcals of exercise per week achieves maximum benefit for this aspect. It doesn't really matter when you exercise, the point is to keep it regular. Type 1 diabetics however, or those type 2s who are strongly medicated, have to be more careful as they have to calculate the amount they need to compensate for the exercise. But, as you can imagine, whilst many of us are thinking of a good walk as exercise, some of these guys are running half marathons or cycling for two or three hours. It's a different kettle of fish. I was listening to one on the radio who likes rowing. So do I. I have a rower in the spare bedroom. He however, has just rowed accross the Channel.

My diabetes nurse said I should adopt a more active lifestyle and include more exercise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QvNSIURj-c

stephsmum

Jaxx - motherhood is a nightmare really isn't it? I've always worked (went back after each child when they were 4 months old). Had kids sitting in buggies on the sideline of hockey pitches when I was playing, took to running with a buggy, then having 2 kids on my bike, then pulling one on a trailer whilst the other was cycling beside me, running at lunch time, BUT I have always been sporty, sport is a part of me. So, if that isn't a part of your life, then don't feel bad. As your children get older you'll find you can do more and more with them. Really! One of the best Wii games we have is Dance on Broadway. What's proper exercise? Getting your heart rate up, getting breathless, doesn't matter how you do it - I've been known to do step ups whilst waiting for the kettle to boil lol.

Since my daughter's t1 dx in June we have now met 2 t2s who do Parkrun with us - http://www.parkrun.org.uk (actually my daughter is still at the walk stage!) There's an amazing amount of children who take part. It's very much a family event.

http://excarbs.com - is a very simple website for understanding what happens to diabetics during exercise. My daughter's in honeymoon of course so who knows what will happen when her bg s start rising again?

The great thing about forums is that you can take great inspiration from others, if you want to! I'm not diabetic but I am mother to an overweight teen and I'm now working very hard and doing rather a lot of juggling to get her fit so she has a long, hopefully with not too many health complications because of diabetes, life. I also hope that once her weight has reduced and she has realised she can do so much more in way of movement that she keeps it up, even if she only swims.

PS I have a general weakness down my right side, and sometimes considerable pain, since a cycle accident 3 years ago - hasn't stopped me doing some crazy cycling/running events though.
PPS - Daughter's head/eye where she got hit in PE on Friday (my last post) is green/purple/yellow! She had a couple of days of no exercise but is back in the gym tonight.

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Correct me if I'm wrong but I actually am not sure how to take your post. It's great you do/ have done all that stuff, that's great but it really is not feasible for some people.

When I finish ŵork, it's time for my children to get home ready for bed, certainly not time for me to take them out and about running in buggies :( I would love to join a gym but hen do I go? In my half hour lunch break at work? Because that's the only time I possible have time?

I am on my own, so struggling with being a single parent, let alone working.

PS I have a heart condition, which the diagnosis knocked me for 6 yet I still get up and get to work because I want a good future or my children. Feel kind of stuck now.

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good for you, keep it up. :thumbup:

If diabetes is the only illness you have to encounter in your life then count your blessings. Unfortunately a lot of us have to deal with multiple illnessess, take many different types of medication, not just insulin, and have to deal with conditions which prevent us from being fit enough to be able to exercise to your level.

I envy you and I wish I could do it - I do go to try to get to the gym three times a week but it can only keep me "ticking over" - no matter what I do other conditions will prevent me from ever getting fitter or stronger. However I do have a positive attitude and I refuse to give in no matter how hard things get - I choose to live with my conditions - rather than suffer from them.

ninasings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals, Ignorant behaviour, Misogynists
Good Grief...appalling lack of understanding of the fact that not all of us are the same and some of us have functional problems which prevent us from exercising exercising etc
Just because it works for you does not mean it works for all.

Very young, ignorant, self centric young man,.
Hope you grow up soon.