does anyone get heavy burning legs?

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 21 type1 diabetic for 12years almost 13 recently i have been getting burning heavy legs when walking i am wondering of it could be my diabetes or something else i mentioned it to the doctor's and all he said was it could be my diabetes nothing else exept that just wondering if any other diabetics get this

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does it stop when you rest for a few minutes and come back after you have started walking again? And much worse when walking uphill.

I have this and it's called intermittent claudication, caused by narrowing of the arteries supplying the legs. You would be a bit young to have it but it can be brought on over time by high blood sugars.

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeahh it is fine when i rest its really sore my blood sugars are quoet bad i have been googling about it and it said neuropathy

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Gizmo123

I think it sounds like neuropathy. There is a variety of medications that can help relieve the burning etc. I recommend speaking to your diabetic team. I've had it now for 5 years (diabetic 30 years)its not nice but can be co trolled

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going to call my diabetic nurae tommrow see if she can help but prob will need a appointment i was reading online about it do they have to take a nerve biopsy from my legs ? Is it unusual for a 21 year old to get it

sw11bloke

DMC...are your sugars running high? It sounds like you have been running high for a while. I am type 1 for 13 years and have experienced the same. Its neuropathy and your body telling you to get better control. My HBA1C was 12%.
I have since dropped to 8% over the past 6 months and my legs are slowly going back to normal again. Apparantly the pain gets worse when the nerves start repairing and then slowly, it goes away when you HBA1C stays stable and below 7%.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just been diagnosed with neuropathy in my left leg. I thought the pain was from my hip as I am waiting for a hip replacement. After a trip to pain clinic last week they told me I have 2 different pains. What I don't understand is my BG has not been over 6.4 in the last 2 years and the burning/ tingling feeling has got worse not better.

sw11bloke

Type 2 is very different to type 1. Hope you get sorted Connie
In a way, some people say type 2 is worse as a type 1 can use quick acting insulin to control their blood sugar. Some people think type 2 is easier as you dont have to inject.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had similar symptoms for the last 15 years now, way before I got T2. numbness and burning sensations to the outside of my upper right thigh, it's not nueropathy though. Its a trapped lateral cutaneous nerve, the condition is called Meralgia paraesthetica and you can have similar symptoms in the lower leg if the sciatic nerve is placed under pressure.

LittleWolf

I have exactly the same pain on my right side as well. I thought it was referred pain from my endometriosis or I could have spread to the nerve youre talking about itself. The pain wakes me up in the right burning and shooting down my leg.

Burning legs could also be lactic acid buildup right?

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lactic acid buildup feels quite different to me, that feels more like an achey, strainy type of sensation. Shooting pains I do get

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi i have called my diabetic nurse and she told me to make an emergancey appointment for my doc hopefully i get one today woke up and noticed one of my calfs are swollen a bit so i am in a panicking diabetic nurse said it sounds like neuropathy but swelling could be a blood clott but i really dont think it is a clott but better being safe than sorry x

sw11bloke

DMCX I dont want to alarm you. If your calf is swollen a bit, it could be a DVT especially if its painfull. Go to A&E just to be on the safe side.
Wish you the best and hope you get it sorted soon.

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi i went to the docs today my left calf is 3 and a half cm bigger thsn the other right now but got blood taken and i am to go back tommrow i asked oif its not a clot what else could it bey doc replied i dont know hopefully its nothing seriouse

LisaMcintyre

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This always happens to me when I go walking I'm glad that I'm not alone in this. I haven't been to the doctors about it, but I'm glad that its not uncommon with people with diabetes.

Ausra

I get very heavy, ready to burst legs when i spend too much time sitting by the desk. I have fizically hard job and i spend all day on my legs, but this does not give me any bad feeling in legs.

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Feels like i get no where with doctors one tell you the other then one put my bloods in the wrong tube then was waiting two hours to get seen to tell me they are not done to get more blooda total joke

rediron

I was getting heavy burning legs when walking and exercising for a while. I initially thought it was the diabetes medication I was on, but it turned out to be related to the statin I was taking, as they can cause breakdown of muscle fibres.