INSULIN WHILE ON A FLIGHT

markjcrausby

Hi, I'm wondering what I should do about injecting lantus on a flight. I always take lantus just before i go to sleep,but in a few weeks coming back from holiday, I won't land in england until 2am. Does anybody know what the correct procedure is
Thanks

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I injected on a flight in may, and ill be doing the same again this week!

blink

last time i flew(a good few years ago now) i just informed one of the flight crew i was an insulin dependant diabetic and i would have to be injecting. they offered for me to goto the rear of the plane in their area to take my insulin if i wanted but i told them i would probably just take it in the toilete, they were completely ok with it.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
Why not just inject at your seat? Don't understand the need to go to the toilet to do it. Its quite easy to inject without drawing attention to yourself if you just do it subtly and quickly.

fractureman

I would inject at seat too, I'm not ashamed to be diabetic never been asked what I'm doing. Is easy to inject without causing alarm to others, & if anyone questions easy to educate them on our condition

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The cabin crew won't mind you injecting one little bit, if you like inform them when you board. I've injected insulin often when flying and not had any problems.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
I regularly inject insulin in all sorts of public situations eg yesterday on a bench at the shopping centre, usually no one bats an eyelid. My philosophy is that healthy people secrete insulin whenever they eat naturally, I have to inject but it's basically the same thing, why should I therefore feel embarrassed or ashamed. Woe betide the first member of joe public who makes any sort of non positive comment for they will get the sharp end of my tongue!

Cabin crew should be at least a little bit aware of diabetes as they need to understand some common health conditions that may result in a first aid situation as part of their training.

I once had a bad hypo on a flight, I had my seatbelt on so couldn't reach my supplies, the cabin crew were great and got me some coke to drink straight away.

Fi2508

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Would the easiest thing to do be to work out when your on your flight when it is say 10 pm and take your insulin then?? I done a 24 hour flight last year from Australia. On boarding the flight I changed my watch to UK time and took insulin accordingly as to when I ate. Yes I had some highs and some lows but I tested my BS regular and took correction doses as required.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I injected at my seat last time I flew. It was getting late and the cabin lights had been lowered anyway so no one could see not that I cared.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
To me it really is no different to taking a pill in public. Would anyone suggest that if you needed to take a pill you should go and do it in a toilet?
I understand that it is a different route of administration than a lot of people are used to, but really it's only sticking a needle in your leg.
I know this is not recommended, but I do inject through clothing which makes it easier to inject without anyone realising (probably half the reason I do it)

I don't do the pinch-up, I just stick it in, and it seems to deliver the insulin ok and I never get any infection in my sites or anything so whilst I understand why this is not the recommended way to do it it is the way that works best for me.

blink

there is no reason why you shouldnt do you injection in your seat but at the same time whats wrong with someone wanting to go to the toilet and do it? not lookin to cause a dibate but just wondering, i used to goto the toilet incase i made some people feel uncomfterble(i suck at spellin by the way :lol: ) my personal choice. when i am out and about i will just do my insulin where i am but then i'm not sittin right next ot a random person.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't pinch on thighs either. My nurse said with my 4mm needles it's not necessary!

fatface1987

I inject on a plane in my seat all the time and have never once informed cabin crew I was diabetic. Fair enough it is everyone's personal choice where they inject ie in their seat, the toilet, etc however personally and as a nurse I don't believe toilets are hygenic enough and therefore don't go there to inject.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
blink said:
there is no reason why you shouldnt do you injection in your seat but at the same time whats wrong with someone wanting to go to the toilet and do it? not lookin to cause a dibate but just wondering, i used to goto the toilet incase i made some people feel uncomfterble(i suck at spellin by the way :lol: ) my personal choice. when i am out and about i will just do my insulin where i am but then i'm not sittin right next ot a random person.

Nothing wrong if they want to inject in the toilet, but what's wrong would be someone feeling too uncomfortable to inject anywhere but a toilet as they are too embarrassed what other people think of them. If you're making yourself uncomfortable to avoid other people feeling uncomfortable that's wrong, as their comfort should not come before your own.

It's like, why should we have to hide away when we are doing an injection?

ellecook79

I actually read the OP as asking if he should be njecting at a different time rather than asking if he can/ should inject in public?

My answer would be to inject at the same time as usual regardless of when he goes to sleep.

Apologies if I have misunderstood the question!

blink

the_anticarb said:
Nothing wrong if they want to inject in the toilet, but what's wrong would be someone feeling too uncomfortable to inject anywhere but a toilet as they are too embarrassed what other people think of them. If you're making yourself uncomfortable to avoid other people feeling uncomfortable that's wrong, as their comfort should not come before your own.

It's like, why should we have to hide away when we are doing an injection?

Didn't say i was hiding away due to me feeling uncomfortable or embarrassed :eh: said it was to save the random sitting close to me feeling uncomfortable these are 2 totally different things, i also didn't say the only place was the toilet i said that's what i did. How do you know they don't have a phobia of needles. I have no issues injecting in public but if the person you don't know is almost on your knee due to the small space on a plane then i prefer to move out of that position.

I don't hide the fact im diabetic but i know the guy who sits at the next desk to me at work doesn't like injections so i make sure i move round so he doesn't see it. Just being polite in my opinion.

sanchia07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I always leave my watch to uk time and take as normal, whilst in my seat, never had an issue!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hale710 said:
I don't pinch on thighs either. My nurse said with my 4mm needles it's not necessary!

I can't inject in my thighs, not enough fat. Have to do the basal in my backside.

Can I do that in my seat? :D

Glen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, DIY, winter,
You have to be a little carful injecting in such a confined space and you really should warn the person next to you for their safety and out of politeness. You don't want to jab them by mistake.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glen said:
You have to be a little carful injecting in such a confined space and you really should warn the person next to you for their safety and out of politeness. You don't want to jab them by mistake.

I'm not sure what you're doing with your needles that could mean you might accidentally jab someone!

But I always let people know around me first as a courtesy, had a friend faint on me so I'm not keen to repeat that!