julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: NEW DIABETIC GONE OFF THE RAILS STRUGGLING

If you go to http://www.myfitnesspal.com on your computer you will be able to access the data Andy mentioned. You can keep track of what food you're eating and how many carbs you've consumed. What it doesn't tell you in the GI of any foods you eat. You need to try to eat low GI foods as they will cause slower rises in your blood glucose levels. I bought a Collins Gem book called GI to help me work out what I should and shouldn't eat. I found my copy in a local Waterstones book shop, but it can also be found on Amazon.

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying

I don't know if this will help but type your food into the search box on the below link and it will bring up a list of food with nutrition values I use this as a guide.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calori ... tion-facts

Mark
Edited to say: beaten to it by Juli :p

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

The Carbs and Cals book will be good for you as it gives all the information you are looking for with photographs of each thing and potion sizes.

Have a look on amazon, it has a look inside feature s you can see before you buy, it even covers takeaway and meals.

well done on the weight loss!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

typical day for me

fage natural greek yogurt (full fat) 100g, 3.8 grams carb
strawberries 100g, 6g carbs

ham and free range egg salad (asda) 5.8g

chinese stir fry veg (co-op) 7.8g
roast chicken breast 0.9g (i thought this was 0g hehe)

2 sugar free jellys 0.8g
double cream 90ml 1.5g

atkins chocolate decadence bar 3.5g

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

i probly ate more than you but i ate low carb things

i sense your panic and try to calm down, we all go through this, it must have took years to become diabetic you cant expect to control it in 5 minutes, itll all become easier the more you learn

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

hey andy , I read about gi last night , im slowly understanding what it means , but as you say in a week I cant know about it all ,
gi im getting a bit confused about , I know it is a slower release , I think , but I read on another diabetic site , it could be dangerous going on a solely gi diet ?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

hi, not suggesting you follow low GI diet its just that when eating carbs the low GI ones are better :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

thanks paul

:shifty: apples wow are they that high in carbs ?

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

:( 2 weeks into this low carb eating , blood sugars not going down as I would like it , weight has stood to standstill ,
and im starting to get hungry , I want food ,
I don't want to go off the rails here as it is very important diabeties , but slowly im snacking ryvitas , fruit , apple pear , but I have been told that apples and pears are high carbs ,,

things I eat :
wholemeal grain bread , only 2 slices a day at breakfast
lettuce , toms , cucumber salad things ,
apple pears
sprouts , cauliflower about 4 small boiled potatoes , cabbage , chicken , pork
rye sesame seed ryvitas about 5 during the day and night
and really that's about it ,,
im scared what to eat but im getting so hungry

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

:(

andy where are you lololol

im failing after 2 weeks , im so hungry I want to eat , I have just had for breakfast 2 weekabix and 2 wholemeal seeded bread ,, now I eaten that I feel guilty like giving up and I have been so good the last two weeks

I don't know what else to eat for breakfast , I don't like eggs , im not sure what other cereals are lower than Weetabix ,

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

lolol confusion is setting in here , with carbs and the GI low carbs ,
today I have had a change in breakfast not sure if ive had to many oat ahhaah,, I had 4 tbls spoons of scott porridge oats with semi skimmed milk , now this is a GI food so this means it will take longer for me to get hungry again ???? also are the GI foods higher than normal carb food , as I noticed it says lowGI wholemeal bread , im getting all confused lol

its just NOT sinking into my head , I will test my blood now 2 hours later , :roll: :silent:

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

It's really worth getting some books and sitting down and having a read.

Low GI carbs are the best if you have carbs but lots of people have only tiny amounts of carbs.

However low carb is not the only way to tackle things if it's not working for you.

How was your blood before and after porridge?

Cara

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

i didnt have a very good nights sleep i woke up at 2.30am done me blood lol 8.7 never been so high but i dont normally do bs reading in early morns hahaa

8.30 am before porride was 8.3 2 hours later was 6.3............before lunch was 5.0

breakfast....... 4 tblspoons of porridge with semi skimm milk
lunch .............small bowl baked beans and 2 slices wholemeal grain bread no butter

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

lol to my previous post icant win lolol

ihave had low GI food and after lunch my bs was 10.1 its never been so high is this what is supposed to happen on a GI and low carbs i know you feel less hungry but the bs wowwwwwwwww

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

If you had a full size tine of baked beans that is around 50g of carbs. Which is more than some people have in the whole day. Baked beans sauce usually has sugar in it.

Depending on the bread that could be 15g per slice too.

I think you should look at the whole picture and not just carbs and GI. Think about weight loss, this should be your first change.

sandysan

Type of diabetes
Type 2

lol to my previous post icant win lolol

ihave had low GI food and after lunch my bs was 10.1 its never been so high is this what is supposed to happen on a GI and low carbs i know you feel less hungry but the bs wowwwwwwwww
carraway said:
If you had a full size tine of baked beans that is around 50g of carbs. Which is more than some people have in the whole day. Baked beans sauce usually has sugar in it.

Depending on the bread that could be 15g per slice too.

I think you should look at the whole picture and not just carbs and GI. Think about weight loss, this should be your first change.

i only had a small bowl of beans , this is getting ridiculous hahahah ,,, some say eat GI carbs some say eat low carbs i dont know weather im coming or going , i dont know what to eat , its getting a big issue for me now , 2 weeks into this , so is the GI carbs last longer in your body and make you not binge eat , is this why the bg doesnt go down so fast as normal low carbs

C

catherinecherub

Hi Sandy,

I think you have got the wrong idea. Just because a food is low G.I. and a carbohydrate does not mean that is all you need to eat at mealtimes. Eating both the beans and the toast meant that you had a double whammy of carbs. You really need to try and balance your meals so that you include other foods. The tomato sauce in the beans usually includes a high sugar content. I gave you the link to the GI website so that you could understand the principle.

julie54

Sandy - you seem to be confusing yourself and trying to do too much all at the same time. I know how confusing this all is after being told you are diabetic, but I think it might be easier if you try to simplify things for yourself. I decided to go the low carbohydrate route - and simply cut out everything that I knew contained carbs. The obvious ones of course being bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, flour, cakes, pastries etc. So rather than having any bread - I cut it out completely. Same with potatoes - I just don't have them any more. This really did make it easier in terms of choosing what to eat. I applied the simple principle of eating only vegetables which grow above the ground. I omitted all fruit, with the exception of a few berries - strawberries and raspberries. Same with cereals - no cereals at all. So for breakfast, I will have either a cooked breakfast with eggs or bacon or sausage with a tomato/mushrooms - or full fat greek yoghurt with a few berries and some chopped almonds. Lunch and dinner are also easy with the approach I have taken with nice meats/fish/eggs with a mixed salad with mayonnaise. Or hot meals with chicken/beef/lamb/low carbohydrate sausages with lots of veg - cauliflower mash, broccoli, green beans etc etc. I then don't have to think about carbohydrate values - as I know I have totally eliminated all of the major high carb foods - but am reassured that the veg/salad etc gives me some carbs - but not in dangerous quantities. You can also experiment with some of the recipes in the low carb recipe forums - for example low carb quiche using ground almonds and butter for the case and filling with eggs/cheese/bacon etc. I do this and it is lovely and can recommend it !!! For now this may be a simpler approach for you to take - rather than worrying/confusing yourself about low or high GI's at this point. As you go forward, and get used to a simpler way of eating, you will feel more in control - and can then move on to experimenting with other foods. But you really must try and pull yourself back from all the worry you are feeling and try to simplify things - you will honestly feel much better. Regards - Julie