Post Your Recipes Here!

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
Re: Recipes.

oh Fergus that sounds rather scrumptious!!!

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Hi Katie,

I get mine from a friend in the US, but you can get it online too. PM me for details if you like.

fergus

Katharine

That trifle sounds great. Don't eat and drive mind!

Dana Carpender has a great low carb gingerbread recipe. You could use that, rum, bananas etc for a trifle with a caribean twist.

Katharine

I made Fergus's marvellous trifle recipe yesterday.

It is a big hit with Steven.

I used macadamia nut oil instead of olive oil in the cake recipe and added vanilla essence to the cake and custard parts. I just used raspberries and used a supermarket low carb jelly mix. This had artificial sweeteners in it. I coudn't get marcarpone so used ricotta instead.I topped the custard with whipped cream.

The cake is good enough to eat on it's own and the custard is much easier to make than the usual boiling up cream and eggs stuff.

Excellent stuff.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I Can't Believe It's Not Mash

Purely by accident, I discovered this;

Boil up one cut, fresh cauli and one peeled, de-seeded and chopped butternut squash. Don't let them get too soft. Drain really well and mash with a good knob of Best Butter. I use a hand blender.

Dollop in a shallow dish, cover with mountains of cheese and grill until brown and crispy.

Do a taste test. I (almost) guarantee you will think it's potato.In fact, I think it's better than mashed spud.

wiflib

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.

Here's a dessert that was served to me in France a while ago when I mentioned that I was diabetic.

Watermelon dream
1good-sized slice of watermelon
4 tablespoons of mascarpone

Cut the watermelon into cubes, about 1 cm square, removing all the seeds (a tiresome job, but necessary). Put 4 tablespoons of the melon in the food processor or blender and add the mascarpone, then whiz until thoroughly blended. Put the mascarpone mixture and the remaining watermelon into separate bowls and place in the fridge until icy cold. When you are ready to serve, divide the watermelon between four dishes and spoon the mascarpone mixture over each bowl. Serve this dessert as cold as possible.
Delicious.
You can make variations by substituting creme fraiche or fromage frais for the mascarpone.

Jimmy101

Cranberry Sauce for Christmas

Christmas is coming and this has worked well for me...

Most of the Cranberry Sauce you buy prepared, especially the stuff that comes in jars is loaded with sugar. This is the sort of thing that if you are not careful sneaks in under the radar because you are usually concentrating on avoiding the other sweet Christmas goodies.

Personally I like the tartness of cranberries. The lack of sugar is masked by the roast turkey and all the other components of the Christmas roast. It is also great with turkey sandwiches when you are eating up the leftovers.

If you are trying to cater for everyone make up a batch with sugar (although this is a reduced sugar recipe) and one with no sugar at all. The Port gives it a real lift! By the way it is great with freshly grilled venison sausages….

Anyway give this a try. It keeps well in the fridge for about a week. Enjoy……

Ingredients

1 orange
100g/4oz sugar - omit the sugar for the diabetic version
5 tbsp port
359g/12oz cranberries, fresh or frozen
1 eating apple, finely chopped

Method

1. Finely grate the zest from the orange and squeeze the juice. Dissolve the sugar in a medium pan with 4 tbsp port and the orange juice.
2. Stir in the cranberries, apple and orange rind. Cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes (slightly longer if the cranberries are frozen) until the fruit is soft and the juices are slightly thickened.
3. Stir in the remaining 1 tbsp port. Serve warm or cold.

Have a look at my blog http://www.easydiabeticliving.com

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Wiflib, I made your cauliflower/butternut squash recipe yesterday and it was absolutely delicious. It will become one of my regular dishes. Thanks a lot.
Another recipe for butternut squash I prepare is as follows:

Lime and rosemary squash
1 butternut squash
2 tbs olive oil
2tbs lime juice
2 tsps chopped rosemary
Put the olive oil into a baking dish and place in the oven preheated to 380°F
Peel the butternut squash, remove the seeds and cut into bite-size pieces. Toss the squash in the lime juice and the rosemary. When the oven is up to temperature, spread the squash over the bottom of the dish and bake until soft - approx. 20 minutes.

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

It just occurred to me that Wiflib's cauliflower and butternut squash recipe would serve perfectly as a topping for shepherd's pie instead of potato.
And further to my watermelon recipe, I just discovered that here in California they are selling seedless watermelons. I'm not sure if they are on sale in Europe yet, but they soon will be I should think.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

Another great alternative to potato as a topping for shepherds pie is mashed celeriac or mashed sweet potato. And of course you can combine any of the four toppings to vary the flavour. My own favourite is half-and-half mashed cauli and celeriac.

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Yes, Dennis, celeriac is a great substitute for spuds. Mixing sweet potato, celeriac, cauliflower or squash all make great combinations. We were invited to dinner last Sunday by our son's in-laws and one of the dishes they served was sweet potato fries. When we got home I took my BG and it was only 5.7 so sweet potato is a good choice for diabetics.

saz1

If you are missing pasta, get yourself a spiraliser. It turns veg into spaghetti or tagliatelle type strands and if you have butternut squash and smother it in lovely bolognese sauce... yummy. Any chunky veg will do and the strands are lovely in sauces, soups and salads too! :wink:

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;

Moroccan Weekend

It was my Sister-in-law's birthday and she declared that she wanted a Moroccan evening, so I bravely stepped up and accepted responsibility :D

So, I started with Stuffed Peppers, where instead of using Ramiro peppers (despite being a Sainsbury's recipe, my local didn't stock 'em) I used normal peppers, and I found that there was too much couscous.

Then for the dinner I served Chicken Tagine with Aubergines, with a warm chickpea salad. The colour of the marinade surprised me, but after a while green chicken grew on me :D

I "cheated" a bit for the dessert and left Morocco and headed for Mexico, where I made Tipsy Tea Cakes. I followed the Splenda substitutions for the cake, and was a little disappointed about the texture, but it tasted fantastic. Not knowing whether one could caramelize Splenda I took the brave decision to make the sauce using sugar.

Everyone enjoyed the meal, I discovered that couscous can taste delicious and found another use for chickpeas other than houmous

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Have been looking for a Lamb Curry Recipe

FOUND THESE TOO, FOR CHICKEN/TURKEY AND ADAPTED THEM

First Lamb

Lamb Curry: Rogan Josh
This is the link

http://www.route79.com/food/rogan-josh.htm

This is a classic lamb curry - no idea why it's called Rogan Josh - but this recipe is dead simple -
Ingredients for Rogan Josh (Lamb Curry)
* Around 600-700 grams of leg of lamb - chopped into bite-sized chunks.
* The usual chunks of frozen pulped garlic, ginger your freezer. (no chillie this time!)
* 2 teaspoons salt.
* 1 teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
* 3 teaspoons garam masala
* 2 teaspoons ground coriander
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 2 dessert spoons of plain natural yoghurt
* 1 teaspoon of red chillie powder
* 2 medium onions - finely chopped
* Three-quarters of a tin of peeled plum tomatoes

Method

This is a no-fuss method - involving just one pot and your skill and patience as a stirrer of a wooden spoon! First pour a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil into the pot and heat on high until very hot. Throw in the finely chopped onions and stir fry until the pieces start to go soft and translucent. Then throw in the frozen chunks of garlic and ginger and keep stir-frying. (make sure you zapped the frozen chunks for 10 seconds in the microwave first so that the ginger and garlic is not frozen any more!)

Then add all the quantities of ground spices and keep frying - the mixture should be dry-ish - and this is called "dry-frying" - or "pot-roasting". Fry for a few minutes until the heavenly aroma fills up your entire house - and then add the chunks of fresh leg of lamb. Keep stir-frying!

You should stir-fry for around 5 mins on high-ish heat until the meat has fully browned. Then throw in the tinned tomato. I forgot to mention that you should chop all the peeled-plum tomatoes into smallish/finer chunks first with a knife and fork. (Or else you could use pre-chopped tinned tomatoes if you like - but they are usually twice as expensive as the non-chopped ones!)

Stir it all about and let it cook for a few mins before adding a couple of large dollops of plain natural yoghurt. Stir it all in and then put the flame on high to bring it to a boil.

Then put the lid on and immediately transfer to the lowest possible flame burner and then go off and do something else for half and hour. Come back after half hour - take the lid off and give it a stir - and then put lid back on and let it simmer for another half hour. Repeat this for around one and half hours - and you will notice that the consistency of the mixture is a bit thicker - and the colour is bit redder/browner.

At this point it's done! Taste it in order to see if any more salt or chillie powder needs adding - and make sure that the lamb pieces are tender - not chewy! Then sprinkle on a generous handful of freshly chopped coriander leaf and stir it in. Let it rest with the lid on for 5 minutes and it's ready to serve!

This dish is best served in bowls( with naan or rice accompaniment)leave out for low carb (or both) and a side salad of chunky cucumber, tomato, onion and carrot with a dash of lemon or vinegar. Very tasty - and very easy to make.

Chicken Curry/s

Use cream and stock as the base./

OR Use chopped tomatoes and olive oil. this obvisously restricts the curries you can make though.

for the chicken to taste amazing marinate it over night in all of the above spices and sqeeze some lemon juice as well - this breaks down the fibres of the chicken leaving it very tender the next night

Chicken Curry

You will need
250g of diced chicken
250ml yoghurt
100ml chicken stock
2 tomatoes
1 large onion
3 gloves garlic
2 tbsp ginger root slices
finely chopped spinach
brown rice(mmm)

Spices
1 tsp turmeric
2tsp coriander seeds
2 tsp cumin powder
1tbsp garam masala
Cayenne pepper (to taste)
1 stick cinnamon

Liquidize tomatoes in blender. Finely chop onion, garlic and ginger and fry in pan with pinch of salt and cinnamon stick for approx 5 mins. Add tomatoes and all the spices and continue frying, gently, for another 5 mins. Add chicken pieces and stock. Stir well and cook on medium heat for 10 mins. Reduce to med/low and simmer for further 20 mins. Put rice on. After 20 mins add yoghurt and finely chopped spinach. Cook for further 5 mins. Remove cinnamon stick before serving.

Comment
surely theres not enough fat in yoghurt to adhere it to the stock? how do you not make it curdle?
put it in right near the end and don't let it cook for very much longer

The Indians and Pakistanis
will often cook the yoghurt in from the start - for hours with lamb. It curdles even if you use higher fat yoghurt (which, by the way isn't all THAT bad anyway). It tends to make tough meat very tender for some reason. So if you want to be authentic you need not worry so much about curdling. Just thought I'd mention it.

I don't count curry as a cheat meal. It's a staple for me. I tend to do them in the curry-house style rather than the authentic but either way there is no need for them to be very high in animal fats.

To make curry-shop style curries you make a base sauce which can be used to make all the common dishes. You're looking at about 2 onions per person/serving. Chop then fine and soften in a pan with a little oil. Put aside about 1/4 of them. Add some tinned tomatoes to the rest (about 1/4 of a tin per person/serving), chuck in a few cloves of garlic and some fresh ginger and then liquidise the heck out of it until it's totally smooth (hand blender is fine) - if you need to add liquid to it then do so. Then put the reserved onions back in plus a tsp or two of tumeric and a bit of paprika for colour. That's your base sauce.

To make the curry you want, you cook the meat/chicken in a tablespoon of sauce + a little oil until done, chuck it into the sauce and add the spices e.g. for a Bhuna it would be 2 tsp of cumin, 1 tsp chilli powder, 2 tsp garam masala, 1/2 tsp of fenugreek. Or you can use pre-made powder mixes or pastes. Cook them in for 5 mins and serve. For creamier dishes add cream and/or yoghurt at the end. You can make them a bit more special by adding chopped coriander leaf and fresh chilli.

The non-cream dishes are healthy - plenty of onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, lean meat, a little quality oil. Served with some veg and only a little rice or bread it's an ideal meal IMO.

This is how your local curry house will be doing things except they tend to use a shed load of ghee or oil to make the base sauce. This is how you can order a dozen different dishes and they all arrive together about 5 minutes later!

You marinade the meat in the yoghurt first.

That cook who uses science in his cooking tried to figure out the best way of marinading and found that useing yoghurt does something to the meat overnight.

Turkey Curry Recipe
Ingrediants:

lentils
2 large onions
half a garlic
curry powdrer
paprika
2 ham stock cubes
salt
tin of tomatoes
turkey strips

Method:
chop one of the onions and all the garlic and add to the lentils and the 2 stock cubes. boil the lentils, but do not over do them.

chop the other onion and start frying it in some oil. add the curry powder, paprika and turkey stips and brown. then add the tomatoes and a bit of salt.

once enough of the water in the lentils has boiled away, add the letil mixture to the tomatoe mixture. DONE!

Chicken

Onion
Pepper
Tin Tomatoes
Low Fat Coconut Milk
Curry Paste
Chick Peas
Spinach
Lentils

you can figure out the method

TIP

Looking for a good curry recipe
Ordinarily I would not advocate ready-made, but anyone feeling lazy should

Check out the Seeds of Change organic balti sauce. It's really pretty healthy and rather tasty. I chuck in frozen spinach with mine too.

Chicken Breasts

With a hand blender whiz up to make a paste...

1 onion
2 garlic cloves
1 or 2 chilli
thumb size of fresh ginger
teaspoon turmeric
1 juice of lime
1 or 2 tablespoon of olive oil.

Then fry this in a pan for a minute

add 2 chicken breasts, 1/2 squash, some broccoli and cauliflower and some tomatoes. Or any veg really, sweet potato works well.

fry all this for a few minutes, then add a tin of coconut milk.

Keeping cooking until it’s all cooked and the coconut has reduced and gone all thick and yummy!

Serve with a wodge of fresh coriander on top! Serves 2

It’s tasty that!

Even easier....

In a large pan fry an onion, then add 2 chicken breasts, couple of mashed up garlic cloves and 1 or 2 fresh chillies, 2 peppers and two big tablespoons of Schwartz hot curry powder, cook for a few minutes then add a tin of tomatoes. Let simmer for about an hour then a couple of minutes before serving add loads of spinach and fresh coriander

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Diabetic Marshmallow???

I watched Hugh Fearnly-Whitingstal on TV the other night making Marshmallow from Egg Whites, Sugar Solution and Gelatine. I got to thinking if there would be a diabetic way of doing this. I already make a diabetic dessert that is just Sugar Free Jelly which is made with half water, and half cream. I think MAYBE you could make diabetic marshmallow by subbing out the cream for whisked egg whites. It'll take some experimenting - as I have no idea of the quantity req'd for whisked egg whites to jelly, or how much to dilute the jelly.

What do you think? (I'm gonna try this with my next weekly shop...)

[EDIT: Woo-hoo! Just found this!!!]

Ingredients
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
5 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute

(The above can PROBABLY be substituted for Sugar free jelly)
3 egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup cold water
3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 teaspoon marshmallow flavored oil (LorAnn or American Spice) (optional)

Directions
1) Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in a mixing bowl.
2) Set aside for 5 minutes to soften.
3) Add to boiling water in saucepan; cook and stir until gelatin is dissolved.
4) Remove from heat.
5) Cool to consistency of thick syrup.
6) Stir in Splenda® and vanilla (and marshmallow flavored oil if using.).
7) Beat egg whites till soft peaks begin to form.
8) Very slowly, trickle a small stream of gelatin mixture into egg white, beating until all gelatin is mixed in.
9) Continue beating until light and fluffy (but not until they're dry.) If you're making marshmallow crème, pour into a jar (jelly jar, peanut butter jar, etc.) and refrigerate.
10) If making marshmallows, continue-- For Mini marshmallows-- Pour into greased and floured pan, cool to set, and cut into size desired.
11) For larger marshmallows, or marshmallow"eggs"-- Fill large square pan with a mixture of 2 parts vanilla protein powder to 1 part dried milk powder (the new Keto milk powder works well here.) The pan should be about two inches filled.
12) Take a dry raw egg and make indentations in the powdery bottom with the fuller base of the egg for making marshmallows, or with the oval side of the egg for making marshmallow"eggs" Then pour the marshmallow creme filling into the little"moulds", sprinkle a dusting of the powder mixture over tops of marshmallows, and allow to set If you make the"eggs" and want to cover them with chocolate, melt the dark chocolate low-carb bars in the microwave till very soft and almost liquid (you can use the Carbolite, the DeLite bars, etc.) Dip each formed marshmallow egg into the chocolate quickly to coat and place flat side down onto waxed paper to set.
13) The mini ones are perfect to sprinkle over puddings or berries and divine over pumpkin pie or mock sweet potato casserole!
14) Or use the marshmallow crème wherever your creative mind takes you!
15) 5 carbs in entire recipe for marshmallow crème.

Tonight, I make Marshmallow!!!